Snarky Brides

Amazon Prime/Kindle?

Does anyone do the free books on Amazon Prime? I just realized I can get Prime for only $39/year (with any .edu email address), but I'm not sure if that version includes the free ebooks. 

Is there a good selection of books? If so, that would totally make the $40/year worth it!

Re: Amazon Prime/Kindle?

• I've been debating it myself since there seem to be TONS of great books that you can borrow for free if you have prime.
  • I have A Prime but I haven't borrowed any books yet.  I do enjoy the video streaming.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Another question. Can I switch the amazon account that my Kindle is linked to? Because H and I signed up for Prime before Christmas (for the free 2-day shipping.) but it's on our joint Amazon account... and my Kindle is on my old Amazon account.
  • I just looked more. It's up to one book/month, whatever that means.  Still worth it though, if I'm only paying $39/year.
  • Are you talking about Amazon Student? 

As an Amazon Student member you'll also get six months of FREE Two-Day Shipping with Amazon Prime, and will automatically continue receiving Amazon Prime shipping benefits at a cost of $39 a year for up to four years with automatic renewal. These benefits can't be shared with another account, but if you continue with a paid membership you'll receive access to thousands of Prime instant videos, and a Kindle book to borrow for free each month from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library. If you don't wish to continue with paid Prime benefits you can set them to not automatically renew at any time during the free period.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200500380_benefits?nodeId=200500380#benefits
  • Yes, Mica.  I read all of that online.  I was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with it, since they don't list all of the books on the site.  Nor do they talk about how many books you can get.  Just that it's 'up to once/month', which could mean 2-3 books/year.
  • Wait with kindle  you need prime to access free books?? I was thinking of switching but with my Nook I get free books all the time now...

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • I didn't sign up for anything and I get a section with free books and can already get a book once a month through prime.  Is this what you are talkng about? Or am I totally confused?
  • no no. Anyone with a Kindle can get the classics and stuff for free. Plus you get access to random free books.

But with Prime/Student/whatever you can also lend (not 'purchase') like bestsellers for free.
  • When you purchase a Kindle you get Amazon Prime free for one month - that could be what you're seeing right now Amber.  I've had a Kindle Keyboard for a couple years now and have never gotten books for free unless they were ones that randomly went on "sale" or the classics.

You can invite a "guest" or two to share your Amazon Prime account - my FI invited me to join his.  It was easy and now our accounts are linked!
  • H has always been the main Prime member, but we switched this year so I could have it for the free books on my Kindle.  We pay the $79 (even though I have an .edu email address...maybe I should look into that student one.), but we are able to add 4 extra people on, so we each pay $15.80.  So for me, yes, $15.80 is worth getting even 1-2 books free per year. 

With the student prime, can you add on extra users?   Can you split the cost amongst friends?

• And it seems like they have some decent books.  I just downloaded Moneyball.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_amazon-primekindle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:de76079c-a328-470d-96f6-e8e0049ff8e3Post:d966fda7-a873-4afc-ade1-a9be22f8840b">Re: Amazon Prime/Kindle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When you purchase a Kindle you get Amazon Prime free for one month - that could be what you're seeing right now Amber.  I've had a Kindle Keyboard for a couple years now and <strong>have never gotten books for free unless they were ones that randomly went on "sale" or the classics.</strong> You can invite a "guest" or two to share your Amazon Prime account - my FI invited me to join his.  It was easy and now our accounts are linked!
    Posted by MichelleAG05[/QUOTE]

They just changed it this year and if you are the main member on a Prime account, you can "check out" 1 book per month for free.
  • Amy, how did you add on extra users? I'll go dig around and see if I can find it!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_amazon-primekindle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:de76079c-a328-470d-96f6-e8e0049ff8e3Post:07d4f91b-7790-4093-b3d7-45e9ef3a5526">Re: Amazon Prime/Kindle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amy, how did you add on extra users? I'll go dig around and see if I can find it!
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Go to "manage your prime membership" and it should have an area to add one extra members.  They don't get the kindle advantages that the main prime member does, but they get the 2 day free shipping.

Again, I'm not sure if the .edu one works the same as the regular one.
  • Nope. At least I don't see the option on the student one.
  • I haven't used my prime account yet for books, but if you do much other shopping on Amazon it's totally worth it. I did about 80% of my Christmas shopping on Amazon this year and got free 2 day shipping with everything and didn't have to have a minimum purchase.

I believe you can also switch which account your kindle is linked to. I think you have to unactivate it and reactivate it. I had to do that last month when I changed the email address associated with my Amazon account.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_amazon-primekindle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:de76079c-a328-470d-96f6-e8e0049ff8e3Post:f0eac11d-8618-49b0-a06a-90db363aec63">Re: Amazon Prime/Kindle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, Mica.  I read all of that online.  I was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with it, since they don't list all of the books on the site.  Nor do they talk about how many books you can get.  Just that it's 'up to once/month', which could mean 2-3 books/year.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Every month on the 1st, I can "check" out a new book. So it's monthly - you get one free on the 1st of each month. You can return it when you're done, or you will get the option to buy it at the end of the month (I believe). If you get $10 books each time, you more than get your money back.

I got free Prime for a month with the purchase of my Fire. It's $80 for me to renew, though, and DH and I decided it wasn't worth it right now. We don't buy online all that much and I personally don't mind paying for books. If I want to read something, I want to read it now, not wait a month until I can borrow again, you know? For me, the shipping is a bigger draw than the books, but even then, we wouldn't spend $80 in shipping in a year (we did almost all Christmas shopping online through Amazon this year and only saved $50 by having Prime).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • I've got it for one month, FI pays for it every year..love it, and we stream a lot of tv too! The shipping alone this year at the holiday's paid for it.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have Amazon Prime with the .edu address, and I fuucking love it.  I just tried the "Lending" thing for the first time the other day, but it seemed like some pretty legit books were on there.  I personally think it's worthwhile, but I also order a lot of shiit from Amazon for school and things, so it makes sense to me.

Steph, I am sure that you can change which account is linked to your Kindle, I'm just not 100% sure how to do it.  I know that I changed my account when they started offering the Student thing from a regular email address to the .edu address and it worked fine, but I didn't get a Kindle until after I did that.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you go to settings on your kindle you can deregister and then re-register your kindle to a different email account. 

Although I don't know if it affects your content. I would imagine not.

I was thinking about Prime, I have the student prime for free- it was supposed be one year when I got it, last time I used like a month ago I got free shipping. I graduated since then, but I don't know if that matters, I know your .edu stays active for a little while after graduation.

One of my friends got it, who is a walking Amazon commercial, primarily for shipping and video streaming and he didn't recommend it for $80 a year.  I am still thinking about it.....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_amazon-primekindle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:de76079c-a328-470d-96f6-e8e0049ff8e3Post:82bb7797-c89b-448e-81ee-3dee216f0acb">Re: Amazon Prime/Kindle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait with kindle  you need prime to access free books?? I was thinking of switching but with my Nook I get free books all the time now...
    Posted by Starmusica[/QUOTE]

I got a kindle for Christmas and have been finding many free books without having Prime. You can also now lend books to other people with a kindle for 2 weeks. The only thing with that is that you can not read the book while it is lent out to the other person and I think you can only lend it once.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge
    Cake
    my read shelf:
    Becky's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards