Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Well, I really messed up

So FI and I got engaged in July and figured we would start heavy planning in August but I fell and broke my leg and required surgery so we put it off because I was in constant pain, going to therapy 5 times a week, and in really bad shape after surgery.

So I finally get back to work and we start planning again and my grandpap gets really sick and passes away so we put things on hold again especially financially because I was paying for the end of life care of my pap and all the funeral arrangements.

In the middle of all of this, the day I broke my leg our offer on our house was accepted and we are moving and renovating our new house.

Needless to say, its been a stressful 6 months that we have finally just gotten to finish up the wedding stuff. We are sending Christmas cards out this weekend with our STD's but I just realized one tinsy weenie detail... I forgot to ask my 2 friends to be in my bridal party. Ive been talking wedding stuff with them but it completely escaped my mind that I never officially asked them.

FI had already asked his friends, my best friend just assumed she was my MOH(which she is), and my cousin my 2nd MOH(which she is).

I feel like a total jerk. I am going to rectify this situation this weekend when I see them but I am so scared they are going to think they are "second best" or some other negative thing but I just seriously got overwhelmed with life when I broke my leg.

I havent gotten my dress yet or anything like that we just have been booking vendors. I really want these girls there but I dont want to hurt their feelings either. I am so fustrated with myself that I could be such a jerk.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Well, I really messed up

• Options
    Just tell them the truth - things got hectic with your broken leg and grandpap's death, but that you'd love for them to be in the wedding!  Don't worry about it too much.

I hope things go smoother for you now! :-)
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much, either.  I was GOING to ask my potential BMs, but them my bank account was hacked, my e-mail not soon after.  Then, my place was broken into and my computer and cameras were stolen.  Then, I got sick with viral pneumonia.  If I asked some people. but not others, that;s life and they'll get over it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am just annoyed. I know I am going to tick people off. Honestly, I wanted to put the wedding off for a few months but we lose our deposits and we have the wedding almost 60% paid for. Nothing just seems to be going right. FI asked all of  his friends, 8 total, before we really talked about it and I really dont want a huge bridal party because I think it defeats the purpose. I think I may only ask my 2 friendsI have been talking wedding with instead of all 4 I was going to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    So you are going to have 8 groomsmen and 2 bridesmaids? Please tell me you didn't ask him to cut back on groomsmen after he has already asked them?
  • Options
    Ditto Sharp - please say you aren't considering asking FI to kick his buddies out of the BP - that would the worst thing  you could do.
  • Options
    I'm sure your friends will understand given the circumstances of your life, which they surely knew about, has precluded you from asking them sooner.  I'm sure they will be thrilled to stand by your side.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You really don't need to ask anyone to be in your wedding party until 6 to 9 months out. If you are just now sending STDs then I'm guessing that's where you are. I don't think you have done anything wrong. Just let them know whenever you see them next that you'd love to have them as BMs or MOHs.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_well-i-really-messed-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2a6d8e32-f11e-4b23-b717-e8adff406ca5Post:84623577-2f1b-43ed-8436-f3fe2f928021">Re:Well, I really messed up</a>:
    [QUOTE]You really don't need to ask anyone to be in your wedding party until 69 months out. If you are just now sending STDs then I'm guessing that's where you are. I don't think you have done anything wrong. Just let them know whenever you see them next that you'd love to have them as BMs/MOHs.
    Posted by daveANDkristen[/QUOTE]

According to her signature, she's under 5 months out... And 69 months, holy cow! ;)
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_well-i-really-messed-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2a6d8e32-f11e-4b23-b717-e8adff406ca5Post:a9f61fef-24b7-42e7-b343-18e0ed0e9a15">Re:Well, I really messed up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think Dave meant 6 to 9 months. TK mobile eats special characters. If you are less than 5 months out OP, I'd skip STDs.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I know... I was joking. :)
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yep I'm on TK mobile... I went back and edited to 6 to 9 and forgot to ETA. And also on TK mobile I can't see OP's sig so I didn't know how far out she was from the wedding day. I still don't think OP is too close to the wedding to ask her BP though.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I don't think it's too close at all. Just explain you got busy with life events, which I'm sure they'll understand, and make a date to go shopping for dresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't think it's a big deal. In fact, while I was reading your post, I thought I was missing exactly where you "really messed up." You've had a lot going on; cut yourself some slack!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_well-i-really-messed-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2a6d8e32-f11e-4b23-b717-e8adff406ca5Post:1e1488dc-746c-4a4c-95ac-71eda4944f29">Re: Well, I really messed up</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I don't think it's a big deal. In fact, while I was reading your post, I thought I was missing exactly where you "really messed up." You've had a lot going on; cut yourself some slack!
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]
    I completely agree.  You have done NOTHING wrong!  I'm sure these friends realize the rough six months you've had and simply being asked to be a part of your special day will be overwhelming enough for them that they won't even realize any sort of time frame burden you've put upon yourself.  I hope things start looking up for you!
  • Options
    I would just tell them the truth -- it slipped your mind that you didn't officially ask them, especially since you were already talking wedding with them.

I can't imagine they won't understand with everything that's been going on in your life.  Good luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sure they won't mind. I was asked to be in a friends wedding months after we had discussed all her plans in detail, including her wedding party. I was absolutely not offended and was still honored to be asked.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm mobile so if the spacing is off I'm sorry. No, I didn't tell him to cut back. He asked a couple guys and girls. I asked my one girlfriend tonite and it went ok. She was surprised because she didn't think I was going to ask her. His ladies are wearing black dresses and my ladies are wearing red and we are doing the same thing with the guys vests. Our sides aren't "even" either I don't think. I'm not even sure who all he asked yet we are sitting down to do the number crunching tomorrow after church. We are 5 or so months out. We are doing the STDs because we have a lot of out of town guests, have to update our address, and are sending Christmas/New Years cards. They are literally a business card in the envelope with our address update card and Christmas cards and a recent picture of us. I've just been so overwhelmed that I'm just sending it all at once.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards