Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Catholic/Jewish Ceremony

Looking to have a combined Catholic & Jewish ceremony in Philadelphia in the fall of 2014. Does anyone know of a fun, reformed Rabbi and Priest that would be willing to do a combined ceremony? Ideally, would like to have a Rabbi and a Priest present.

Re: Catholic/Jewish Ceremony

• If you are looking to get married with the blessing of the Catholic Church, I would advise calling your parish and set up a meeting with a priest.  He will help guide you in keeping your ceremony in line with Catholic teaching.  He could also assist in obtaining a dispensation for you so that you may married your FI in a building other than a church.  He may even know a rabbi who can perform the service with him.

If you marry without the proper dispensations in place, your marriage will not be recognized by the Church.  Then you would be out of grace with the Church and unable to receive Communion.  So I encourage you to speak with your priest.

• Ditto OOM.

This is pretty complicated, since I believe Jewish Ceremonies are traditionally on Sunday evenings, and Sunday ceremonies are not traditionally done in the Catholic Church.

Speak with the priest of the Catholic parish you attend.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_catholicjewish-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:3811f92e-8a3c-4c28-87a9-a2fc6980711fPost:8e14cede-e8d0-4b0b-bddc-bf3a8a0670f1">Re: Catholic/Jewish Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto OOM. This is pretty complicated, since I believe Jewish Ceremonies are traditionally on Sunday evenings, and Sunday ceremonies are not traditionally done in the Catholic Church. Speak with the priest of the Catholic parish you attend.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

Jewish weddings aren't necessarily on Sunday evenings, but they don't take place on the Sabbath, which in Judaism goes from Friday night through Saturday and ends on Saturday night.  So there are Saturday evening weddings, although in summer they take place quite late because it's necessary to wait for the sun to go down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards