Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Advice for backyard low budget wedding

I was married 7 year ago, so I am pretty up to speed on modern, low volume (70 people), moderate ($15K) weddings.  We are hosting my step-daughters low budget (~$1,000 not including food and beverage, 40 people) wedding in our back yard this year.  Any advice you don't normally see on the net about outdoor and budget weddings would be helpful.  I've tried to think of unexpected things like parking and bathroom issues, but I am probably missing things.

Re: Advice for backyard low budget wedding

• Definitely make sure you have adequate parking and bathroom facilities. Also, a back-up plan in case of inclement weather is an absolute must. Fans/heaters possibly, depending on the time of year.

For the low-budget part, think outside the box of typical wedding vendors. Cake from the grocery store or Sam's Club/Costco. Flowers from the same or the farmer's market. A local restaurant for catering. Invitations from Vistaprint. Skip anything unnecessary like favors.
  • If they are getting married in the backyard too, please make sure that their is sufficient seating for all of the guests.  

Follow after holiday sales for basics that you might need, especially if her colors are in line with any upcoming holidays.  For example, if she wants a pink themed wedding, right after Valentine's Day you will likely find great deals on pink and white items, even serving platters, decorative items for centerpieces, etc.  Check stores like Michaels and Target or Walmart.

Stock up on coupons for Michaels or Hobby Lobby, if you are able to DIY you can get great deals on supplies.
  • Renting a tent is a must for an outdoor wedding. Even if it doesn't rain, it will sheild people from the sun. We had a small reception in our backyard and rented a large tent for half of the yard that could accommodate all of our guests. It did sprinkle a little, so I was thankful to have spent the money on it. You can save money by renting the tent and installing it yourself. 
  • Check out the wedding board called BUDGET WEDDINGS - link is on the left of this page.
  • I don't remember what bugs are like in that area in the summer but if you have them, you'll need to make a plan to deal with them and lights for the evening. Since it's a backyard party people are likely to stay late. One way to kick people out is when you start blowing out the candles and turning off lights. 
  • I hosted my only budget wedding just in August, but it was for 250 people. A huge money saver was we went to Sam's club and bought all out handles of alcohol there. Sam's was great since we only bought it a week before the wedding anything that was left over we were able to returrn. It is hard when hosting your own event to judge how  much soda/ water/ alcohol to buy, so we bought ALOT since we were so worried about the heat in August. 
    Also my programs were fans. They were a huge hit even after the ceremony when the wind stopped blowing. In regards to bugs (Mosquito's are awful in Illinois) we sprayed the yard the morning of and had back ups of bug spray and wipes. I made a basket in the porta potties for the women full of hand sanitizer, gum, sunscreen, tissues etc.) 

Good luck! 
    Anniversary
  • My fiance's lazy idiot sister was married in the bacykard of a family friend. Their mother handled everything. She ended up getting additional portapotties in the rear of the property which were super fancy and deluxe so people wouldn't clog up the friend's septic system. Big plus.

Negative was that she didn't purchase any bug spray or citronella candles. That was a bit much to take in a summer evening wedding reception, especially by a lake. Buy bug spray. Please. 
  • Find out if your local Vo*tech high school has a shop for flowers?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards