North Dakota
Options

Avalon Events Center Fargo

Hi! I am considering having our wedding reception @ the Avalon downtown in Fargo...Has anyone ever been to or had their reception there? I think it is one of the prettiest places for us, however i am super concerned about the parking as there is none. ALso if anyone has heard anything about the food that would be great info as well! THANKS :)

Re: Avalon Events Center Fargo

• Options
    edited December 2011

I have been to 2 wedding receptions there.  They were both really nice. The setting is nice and the food was good. Both of the receptions I went to had buffet style dinner. One was with a full meal of turkey, potatoes, etc..other was appetizer style. The food was good for both but i preferred the meal over appetizers because the plates were small so people wouldn't take too many appetizers, but everyone just ended up piling all the food on top of eachother anyway. haha. I had only 2 complaints both of which weren't that big of a deal.
    The first was the wait staff wasn't very professional (young kids wearing jeans, etc.) and the second was it was either too cold or too hot in there (probably related to the age of the building). The parking ended up being ok as we just parked in the Radisson's parking ramp about 2 blocks away and walked there. This is especially convenient if you are planning on reserving a block of rooms at the Radisson.

• Options
    mrsanderson7mrsanderson7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our reception at the Avalon in June.  I have never been to a wedding there but I fell in love with it as soon as I walked in.  Everyone I've talked to that has been to weddings there have all positive things to say.  I was a little concerned about parking but I'm hoping most of my guests will park at the hotel and walk over.  All the food on the menu they gave us sounds great but I am concerned because they don't have a formal food testing so I am a little nervous as to I'll be blindly picking out food.  But otherwise they have been great to work with and would recommend them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a couple events at the Avalon and have enjoyed all of them.  The food is always good, as they have a standard for quality.

The parking issue is something people will be prepared to deal with when they know your venue is downtown. However, parking tickets are only $15, when they do ticket you, so I wouldn't concern yourself too much with this.
    The lot adjacent to the Avalon is just itsy bitsy, but since your wedding will not be during the work week, I can only imagine it will be decently vacant to allow parking there.
    Also, there is a lot on 2nd Ave. (behind King House) that allows overnight parking on weekends (I believe, please double check this before quoting me).
    On top of that there is street parking; the 90 minute parking signs posted everywhere downtown clearly state that this only applies Monday-Friday from 8 am-5 pm. (Broadway is also 90 minute on Saturdays 8-5 and doesn't allow overnight.) 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue allow overnight parking Friday night and Roberts Street will allow overnight Saturday night, but the 90-minutes signs will be irrelevant except for Broadway on Saturday from 8 am-5 pm.

Quick recap:
    Friday wedding parking:
       The lot adjacent to the Avalon
       2nd Avenue lot (West of King House Buffet)
       1st or 2nd Avenue street parking until 2 am Sunday MORNING
       Roberts Street parking until 2 am
       Broadway until 2 am
    Saturday wedding parking:
       The lot adjacent to the Avalon
       2nd Avenue lot (West of King House Buffet)
       1st or 2nd Avenue street parking until 2 am
       Broadway until 2 am
       Roberts Street parking until 9:30 am Monday morning

I live downtown, so I know the ins-and-outs of parking. I hope I helped and didn't confuse you more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards