Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Play/DNP List?

Hi, everyone :)

For those working with a DJ/band, do you have a play/do not play list?  If so, care to share?

I'm wondering if our list is too long - haha!  I'm a musician, so I'm picky about what should/should not be played.  I'm more picky about the dance portion than dinner (for the latter, I'm fine with jazz/big band, etc).

Re: Play/DNP List?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think most dj's limit the number you can put on the list or it would be really difficult to keep up with requests versus list checking.  Our do not play list was only two songs, ymca and whatever that song is for doing a conga line since I hate those and was not going to have one at our reception lol.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011

I think our DNP list was anything Mary J Blige.. just don't like her and the I gotta feeling song from Black Eyed Peas..over played and annoying.

For the Play list my H originally tried to list every song but we ended up giving the DJ sample songs in that genera. A lot people requested songs during the dancing.

If you hired a good dj give suggestions and trust him/her to adjust the music to the vibe in the room.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have that problem too. I love music, and I'm very particular about it. I'm really trying to let go on this one. I'm doing a couple "must play" songs and a couple "do not play" and giving him basic styles. FI & I are doing music tonight
  • Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We gave our DJ a list of all the songs that could be played and only had a few that we didn't want played, No line dancing songs at all except the cha cha slide, I know its been over done but its a great way to get everyone on the dance floor.  Our list was mostly R&B, no rap cause I don't think the wording is appropriate for a wedding.

He took that list and then also some requests and incorporated them all in.  Turned out great.

I definitely think you should do at least a DNP list, you don't want to be annoyed, especially if you're picky.

The first dance and father/daughter mother/son dances at first I didn't want to do but my Dad kept asking about the song so we threw them both in, totally worth it if you want to do them.

We had jazz playing during cocktail hour and dinner then the first dance followed by F/D and M/S then let the DJ do his thing.

A good DJ should be able to go by the songs or genre you list and play from that like PP's mentioned.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, guys!  I definitely want our DJ to be able to play with flexibility.  I was looking at some DNP lists from couples on other boards, and they had 20+ DNP genres/songs/artists.  I figured that was pretty high...

Then again, if something is played that I don't like, I'll just go to the restroom or snag some food.  Haha!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My DNP is Who let the dogs out, Macarena and Chicken Dance.
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our DJ had already said he wouldn't do the Macarena or Chicken dance (unless we wanted him to).  My only other thing was no Ke$ha.  Cannot stand her music, she's awful.  I did ask to make sure he had some Guns & Roses and Journey...

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_playdnp-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:7d4d3c96-b994-4348-af18-2b2de42f52b7Post:47877f1f-b76f-4b3e-90b8-accc3eca8a09">Re: Play/DNP List?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did ask to make sure he had some Guns & Roses and Journey...
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

Because It is the most important song for any occasion... And Don't Stop Beleiving in a tale of coming of age...  And small town girls.  Living in lonley worlds.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_playdnp-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:7d4d3c96-b994-4348-af18-2b2de42f52b7Post:3c78b149-db97-4ee7-8341-4c8022e0b566">Re: Play/DNP List?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Play/DNP List? : Because It is the most important song for any occasion... And Don't Stop Beleiving in a tale of coming of age...  And small town girls.  Living in lonley worlds.
    Posted by ambrose132[/QUOTE]
    One of my BM's & were are known for playing that on the jukebox at our local bar & singing at the top of our lungs.  Luckily everyone else at the bar would join in.  I'm sure we still looked like idiots though, but at least we were having fun. 
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been known to sing Journey when at my favorite karaoke bar... ahem.  There is also a video floating around somewhere...

:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_playdnp-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:7d4d3c96-b994-4348-af18-2b2de42f52b7Post:47877f1f-b76f-4b3e-90b8-accc3eca8a09">Re: Play/DNP List?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My only other thing was no Ke$ha.  Cannot stand her music, she's awful.

+1 LOL

• Options
    MeatAuditorMeatAuditor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DNP: The Cupid Shuffle

Our RSVPs ask guests what song they want on the play list.  People think it's cute, but I'm just lazy.  We totally get veto rights though!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_playdnp-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:7d4d3c96-b994-4348-af18-2b2de42f52b7Post:a5417754-dfb6-4bd0-b0d9-f50cb5880b3c">Re: Play/DNP List?</a>:
    [QUOTE]DNP: <strong>The Cupid Shuffle</strong> Our RSVPs ask guests what song they want on the play list.  People think it's cute, but I'm just lazy.  We totally get veto rights though!
    Posted by MeatAuditor[/QUOTE]
    I have no idea what this is.

I love the idea of putting song requests on your RSVP cards, such a great idea!
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL we played cupid shuffle; at least 20 of the girls did the dance.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_playdnp-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:7d4d3c96-b994-4348-af18-2b2de42f52b7Post:4d35c4cb-5f4e-4a5e-a0a5-f9864c0375a5">Re: Play/DNP List?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Play/DNP List? : I have no idea what this is.

I had to look it up on Youtube. It sounded vaugly familiar but I'm pretty sure my group is too old. We're more the electric slide/ cha cha slide era
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_playdnp-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:7d4d3c96-b994-4348-af18-2b2de42f52b7Post:14d6b4b2-ce30-460b-adee-8b343d046e82">Re: Play/DNP List?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Play/DNP List? : I had to look it up on Youtube. It sounded vaugly familiar but I'm pretty sure my group is too old. We're more the electric slide/ cha cha slide era
    Posted by LilMissScareAll[/QUOTE]
    I'll have to look this up when I'm off work... :)
    Married 5.6.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards