Illinois-Chicago
Options

interviewing photographers

Hi...I am pretty overwhelmed with who and how many photographers to interview before I make a decision.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?   So far I have only interviewed Hazelton Photography.  But I have heard good things about ABC photo studio, Essence, Timothy Whaley, Redwall, Modern images, and Kara Schultz.

Re: interviewing photographers

• Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we LOVE Kara Schultz...highly recommend her.
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tasha Schalk (Redwall Photography) is our photographer and we couldn't be happier. Let me know if you have any questions!
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'd look at their blogs/work and ask for others experience, this is a great place to do that
  • Options
    Zelly72Zelly72 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Essence.  To be very honest, I actually did wedding photography for them for 2 years, but had to quit last year due to an elbow injury.  Prior to that I always had wanted to use Timothy Whaley.  My sister ended up using them for her wedding in 2008.  She was not happy with the photos, although I think they are really good!  The photographer she had was horribly rude throughout the day and night though.  I was honestly looking at booking Clint Wolf - I love the photos on his website.  The only thing that made me change my mind on that was that he just gives you a flash drive with the photos and I really want an album.  I know I could make one on my own, but I'm afraid I'll never get around to doing that.  And I also am afraid of independents because what if they have an emergency and aren't able to photograph your wedding?  There has to be a backup person available.  So, we ended up back at Essence.  They have changed a TON since I worked there last year.  Really happy and I think we made the right decision.
  • Options
    hlauinghlauing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many photographers did you interview before choosing?
  • Options
    TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_interviewing-photographers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:a1dced1b-62e7-462b-8493-7c4a272e1e58Post:3ccb673a-5128-47c5-a04f-85d43306b280">Re: interviewing photographers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tasha Schalk (Redwall Photography) is our photographer and we couldn't be happier. Let me know if you have any questions!
    Posted by aimers1525[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  We interviewed another photographer who was mentioned in this thread first and DID NOT click with that photographer at all.  Tasha was the second photographer we met with.  We loved her, were incredibly impressed by both her work and her personality, and thought her prices were very reasonable.  We didn't want to meet with anyone else after meeting with Tasha, so she was the second photographer we met with...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We interviewed 4 photographers. . . it was our biggest splurge so far and the thing we were most interested in getting perfect. Just FYI we went with Kara Schultz - we haven't done any photos with her yet, but I love her. She was super nice and very accommodating for our budget. I can't wait to work with her!
  • Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_interviewing-photographers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:a1dced1b-62e7-462b-8493-7c4a272e1e58Post:98a9fdd6-893c-4d30-b622-6e9961345289">Re: interviewing photographers</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many photographers did you interview before choosing?
    Posted by hlauing[/QUOTE]
    we only met with 1 but we really clicked with her at the meeting, loved her work and we've been super happy with our decision.
  • Options
    jomark10jomark10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone spoken to George Street Photography or Bella Pictures? Has anyone heard anything about them?
  • Options
    WinterWed17WinterWed17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We interviewed three photographers, but we felt most comfortable with Travis Haughton of Wasabi Photography, so that's who we ended up booking. You spend so much time with your photographer throughout the wedding day so I think it is really important to find someone personable and unobtrusive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I interviewed only one photographer, but I did a TON of research before we meet with him.  We wound up booking him too and I really couldn't be happier (so far:)  we're not married yet).  His name is Steve Koo.  He's an independent photographer, which is all I looked at to be honest, and he said that the only way he wouldn't make our wedding is if he were in a coma, or something like that.  IF something that horrible were to happen, he has contacts within the field that are similar to his style that would fill in for him (which is what most of the other independet photographers say).  Regardless, I was comfortable with that.

For what it's worth, my BFF got married last year and used Essence.  They picked their photographer as soon as they booked a venue b/c it was SO important to them.  Turns out the photographer's grandfather died and he needed to be out of town the weekend of their wedding for a family memorial service, so they had to pick a new on w/in the company b/c that's what the contract said.  Due to the fact that it was so close to the wedding date, the photographers that were more in-line w/ their style were not available and they got stuck with someone they did not really like.  I was her MOH and my impression was that he was very crabby and rude to us on the day of...her impression is that she doesn't really like ANY of her pictures and is devestated because they splurged on photography and are really not pleased with the majority of the photos.  

Taylor
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    mspetitebridemspetitebride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've interviewed 2...but I don't know I still haven't made up my mind about them hahaha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards