Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Best places for hotel blocks?

Hi ladies!
 I'm trying to lock down a place to block rooms for guests and I'm having a hard time deciding. My reception is at the Edgewood Club and I'd like to keep the hotel within about 5 miles. My top options are the Holiday Inn and Wyndham in Oakland, the Springhill Suites at Bakery Square, and the Courtyard Marriott at the Waterfront. They all have lounges, which is important to me since the reception has to end at 10 and I'd like to keep the party going back at the hotel. Thanks for the help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Best places for hotel blocks?

• Options
    sampattesampatte member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had rooms at the Holiday Inn.  The bar area is really nice, but it got very crowded after our wedding.  I think there were at least three other brides there.  Also, be careful when booking rooms.  A lot of my OOT family members reserved two rooms through our block and only got one.  They also had to wait an hour or so to check-in.
  • Options
    MRadsMRads member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a really good experience with Springhill Suites at Bakery Square.  It is nice, because the parking is free and its really convenient.  Plus, it was really nice having Jimmy John's and Coffee Tree right outside of the hotel.  The rooms are really large, there is a couch in every room and the toilets are separate from the shower, so there are two sinks and mirrors.  We took the party back to the hotel, and the lounge is pretty laid back, but there was more than enough space for everybody to sit and drink.  And we didn't do it, but the lounge opens up to an outside lounge as well, so there would definitely be more than enough space.

My sister blocked Holiday Inn for her wedding, and I thought that the parking was not the most convenient, because some times there were not parking spots right by the door when people needed to load and unload.  And the rooms were more standard and smaller.

Either one is a fine hotel, but I would book SS at BS in a heartbeat again.

ETA: Nobody used it, but the shuttle was free between edgewood club and the hotel.  I didn't pay for extra, so the shuttle service ended at 10 (which is when the reception ended), so that made me happy that I could offer that service to guests for free, even though nobody used it.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I talked to the guy at Wyndham yesterday and they ended up quoting me $10-15 more a room than they have other girls here on the knot. Plus they will still charge my guest $18 a car per night. And my wedding is in March. With nothing going on at the time. Not happy. I will call them back today though and see if I can negotiate a better rate. If not, I will go elsewhere.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LilyWater09LilyWater09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend against the Courtyard in the Waterfront.  Read some reviews on TripAdvisor and it has alot of drug/sex/teenage activity that is inappropriate.
  • Options
    blondieb0912blondieb0912 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just talked to the woman from the Bakery Square Marriott and everything there seems too good to be true! Even though the bar closes at 11, we can keep it open until 2 for just the wedding party for an extra $100. I'm sold! haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards