Ohio-Cincinnati

Sunday Wedding

Hi everyone.
My fiance is Catholic and I am Jewish.  We are planning a ceremony combining both faiths.  We will likely be married by a judge but are bouncing around the idea of a priest/rabbi combo.  
Jews traditionally do not get married during Shabbat (sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday night).  I am considering this in order to make my family and friends who observe Shabbat as comfortable as possible. We could potentially be married after sundown on Saturday but since we are planning an early fall wedding this would be fairly late (wedding starting at 8:00ish)
We've been thinking about a Sunday afternoon wedding.  What do you all think about this?  What would you think if you got an invitation for a Sunday afternoon or evening wedding?  Would it make a difference if the wedding is scheduled for a holiday weekend? (like labor day?)

Re: Sunday Wedding

• edited December 2011
    I do not think that getting an invitation to a Sunday wedding reception would be the worst thing in the world, especially if your guests understood the history of your religion. I think that you can make a Sunday reception very personal and romantic by making it an afternoon affair!

If you are thinking of having an evening reception then I do think it would be best to do it on a holiday weekend like you said. That way most of your guests wouldn't have to leave early due to work the next day.

Congrats and good luck!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    If I were local, I wouldn't mind a Sunday afternoon wedding.  However, if you have a lot of out of town guests, a Sunday afternoon wedding might make it a bit difficult for many of them to attend the wedding unless it were on a holiday weekend. 

Also, I would expect that many guests might not stay as long for a Sunday wedding, even if they are local, since they will want to get home to get prepared for the week ahead.  So that might be something to consider. 

I have been to a couple of Sunday weddings on Labor Day and Memorial Day weekends, and everyone stayed as late as they would for a Saturday evening wedding.  I think that might be your best bet if you can make the date work.
  • kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Sunday weddings are happening more and more just like a Friday wedding. I think it would be about teh same as a Friday wedding in terms of taking off work. This might even give your guests more time to travel in if they did need to come in for the wedding. I know there are a bunch of Sunday weddings at the Bell Center (we got to watch them setting up from them). Good luck!
  • bbohacbbohac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp, basically it all comes down to your guest list. If it's mostly your family and/or local guests who aren't looking to party/drink a lot then a Sunday wedding would be just fine, since people most likely won't be drinking/staying out very late anyway. Otherwise I'd do it over labor day weekend. FI and I actually went to a jewish & christian wedding on sunday this past labor day. They had a rabbi and a prient doing the ceremony together and it was one of the nicer ceremonies I've been to, they did a great job of intertwining parts of both faiths. HTH!
  • nikkisinlovenikkisinlove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely agree with bb, Sunday wedding would be fine depending on guest list.  Lot's of people coming from out of town could find it inconvenient if they have to work Monday, so choosing a three day weekend like Labor Day would be ideal. 
  • CincyBride29CincyBride29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a similar situation to you., my fiance is Catholic and I am Jewish.  We decided to have a ceremony that would include both faiths.  We are having a Rabbi and a Deacon marry us.    If you are concerned about finding a Rabbi that will marry before sundown on a Saturday evening, we found it not an issue.  We are getting married in July and our Rabbi considers 6:30 evening even though the sun has not set.  If you need any suggestions I am more than happy to help!

Also, many people know that Jews can't marry on Saturday so it is perfectly acceptable to get married on a Sunday.  I would suggest an afternoon wedding if it is not a holiday weekend as previous people said.

GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    220 Invited image 163 Attending image 57 Declined image 0 Not Replied image
    RSVP Date: June 18th
  • meggo81meggo81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the responses ladies! I'm sure I'll be picking your brains again soon.  Also, CincyBride, which Rabbi are you using? (Valley Temple?)
  • cincisarahcincisarah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of having a Sunday wedding too. I've asked a few friends, and they are cool with it...even ones who will be coming from out of town...they're going to be taking a day off for travel anyway, so why not Monday instead of Friday? Also, as someone mentioned, Sunday weddings at the Verdin Bell Event Center are great...I was just at my friend's wedding there last night...a Sunday. The ceremony was at 2pm in the beautiful space, which is a "decommissioned" Catholic church with amazing stained glass, still with some Catholic iconography of course...angels and crosses and whatnot...bells everywhere (as it is a bell museum...you can really have fun with the bell theme) the dinner and dancing were over by 7pm...plenty of time to get home and rest up for the week ahead!) I imagine the space would be reminiscent of your fiance's Catholic upbringing, yet you can have any kind of ceremony you want! Also, the food was reeeeally good! Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey, I'm Jewish too. FI is not. We're getting married on a Saturday at 6:30. I'm not worried about it being an issue for our Jewish guests because none of them are conservative. But if you think this might cause a problem for your Jewish guests, I see absolutely nothing wrong with a Sunday wedding.

We're using a Rabbi, not a combination of officiants but I know that there are Rabbis in town who will co-officiate, the Rabbi we're using included (I think). It's Rabbi Thomas Heyn. http://www.rabbitom.com I have neither a positive nor a negative review of him because we met briefly, signed a contract, and haven't communicated since. You can also find a Rabbi to co-officiate through http://marriagechaplain.com/. Not that I'm advocating that over a judge, just thought I'd share the info.

Also, don't assume a Rabbi won't be willing to officiate until official sun down on Saturday. If you're interested in a Rabbi, doesn't hurt to ask about what he/she considers to be close enough. It might have more to do with what he/she feels secular Jews consider as sun down. I'm not sure, just the impression I got. I was too nervous about talking to a Rabbi to ask some questions.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. I'm not super-knowledgeable about Rabbis or Jewish weddings, but I went through some worrying trying to figure it out and felt like I had no one to talk to about this. Oy, talk about introspection. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Meggo...

we are not using the Rabbi from Valley, I didn't know he co-officiated until after we met with other Rabbis.  We met with 2 Rabbis, one is Rabbi Heyn who a pp is using and then Rabbi Baum.  I had some issues with Rabbi Heyn so we chose Rabbi Baum.  She is AWESOME!  She is very laid back and young.  I have heard from many people that she does a beautiful service.  So far she has been amazing to work with.  We start seeing her more in January.  We were going through all the Catholic classes so she told us we could wait until the new year to start with her.

If you are interested in meeting with her I can give you all her contact information.  I have heard good things about the Rabbi at Valley Temple.  I have also heard good things about Rabbi Heyn I jusy had some major ethical conflicts with him so did not want him to be a part of my day.

GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • meggo81meggo81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one dealing with the all the stuff that comes with intermarriage :)  I think my fiance may be more comfortable with getting married by a judge than by a priest and a rabbi (and I know we both want to avoid the classes you mentioned Cincy) but I feel like I need to at least look into the Rabbi option for my family's sake, some of them are fairly religious.  Cincy, I'm going to PM you.  I'm curious about your ethical problems with Rabbi Heyn, I've heard rumors and I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother talking to him. 
    Thanks again everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    Rumors, ethical issues, what? How does PM work? : (
  • meggo81meggo81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Muse, Look at the bottom of the comment of the person you want to private message, you should see it there-it's clickable.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i sent you both messages back through PM
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards