Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Promise Ring/Engagement Ring/Wedding Ring questions

I would love some help!

My boyfriend and I decided to start looking at engagement rings so he has an idea of what style of ring I like.  As we looked at the images of rings, we realized that the rings that we liked the most were considered "promise rings," and that we really did not like the style of engagement rings or wedding bands.  So, I have two questions.

1) would there be anything wrong with using a "promise ring" as an Engagement ring?

2) would there be anything wrong with using that same ring as the wedding ring as well? 

Thanks for all your thoughts!!

Re: Promise Ring/Engagement Ring/Wedding Ring questions

• Options
    Many cultures don't have engagement rings & the ones that do often don't use diamonds (the typical diamond engagement ring that most people think of is an American tradition).  So to answer your first question, it can be whatever you like.
  • Options
    To simply answer your questions, No & No. Smile

An engagement ring is not a requirement by any means. In most religious ceremonies a wedding band of some sort is required...but if you're not being married in a Church you can do whatever you'd like.
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    A friend of mine has a 1/10 caret promise ring as her e-ring.  She didn't want a diamond but her husband insisted she had one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    An engagement ring is a ring he puts on your finger when you accept his proposal of marriage. A wedding ring is a ring he puts on your finger during your ceremony. They can be one and the same. They can be gummy life savers (remember those?).

Just be prepared: the various encounters you have with the wedding industry may make you question your decision so they can make more money.

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the opinions and suggestions!!
  • Options
    You can have whatever you like as an engagement ring.  My grandmother didn't have one- she had a thick gold band only (I think it's called a cigar band), my mother has a ruby engagement ring and a band, my aunt had a ring made for herself that is several small diamonds made into a thick band that she says serves as both an engagement ring and wedding band.  Anything goes!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    One of my aunts only wears one ring. It has a very unusual shape and she couldn't find anything she liked next to it, so she just wears one. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    No & no. But I have to add, watch out for the type of metal your engagement/promise/wedding band is made of. I got a promise ring from Walmart several years back and after a year or so the metallic stuff it was plated in started to chip and peel off. If you like the style go with a solid metal, not plated, if you plan on wearing the same ring for a long time. Also consider getting your ring custom made. 
    "Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with that at all!

Although I must say that the fact the establishment calls them "promise rings" makes me want to hurl.
  • Options
    Ugh, me too. To me, it's almost insulting.  The only difference between the "promise" rings and the "engagement" rings are price (as far as I know).  And, we weren't even paying attention to price, it just so happened that all of the ones we said "Oh, I really like that one!" ended up being less then $200... and all of them catergorized as "promise" rings.  Like, if you don't spend a certain amount of money on a ring your commitment isn't the same. Ridiculous.  I hate how it's all just a scheme to get money. [/end rant].

To me, I think it should be about the love and commitment between two people. If they want to get a ring, I think the ring they should get is the one that they most like.  And I don't think anything else should matter.
  • Options
    Your engagement ring can be whatever you want.  My engagement ring honestly looks more like a wedding band.  It is a gold band with a row of round diamonds set flush into the band.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    For me its a no..

It's not really neccessary what kind of a ring it is, what important there is the meaning behind the ring.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards