January 2012 Weddings
Options

To steam or not to steam...

my wedding gown on my own??? I had my gown altered by someone other than David's Bridal because they were able to do it for much less than David's Bridal. I only paid $30 to have the hem and bustle done. The problem is since my dress wasn't altered by David's Bridal they will not steam it for me. I am so mad!!!! I bought my dress there. My MOH has her own steamer and suggested we could try using it to steam my gown. I am planning to test it on one of the lower layers of my gown on Sunday. Depending on how it works I am going to try and steam my entire gown. I have read articles on this and found a lot of do's and don'ts. Any suggestions from you guys is greatly appreciated. I found one dry cleaners who said it would be $90 to steam it. Is that too high? HELP!!!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: To steam or not to steam...

• Options
    TaraW1979TaraW1979 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I'm not sure if $90 is too high but personally I would not steam it myself for fear of damaging it. If you try out the lower layers and it looks good and you have no problems, then go for it. It's really up to you. But remember you may be able to fix any mistakes this late in the game. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're paying $150 through the bridal shop, so $90 would be cheap.

I hate paying that much knowing I could take it elsewhere, but my reasoning was that if I took it and had it done and something happened to the dress, it's my problem.  If something happens in their care, it's their problem.
  • Options
    I'm steaming mine myself. The trick is to not get too close... depending on the strength of your steamer, I'd keep the nozzle 6-10 inches away from the dress. You also have to do it at least the night before so that the fabric can dry completely. 

My alterations manager gave me all of these tips, because she understood that $150 bucks for steaming almost two weeks before was a waste... She said you can't hurt it unless you burn it. She said test the distance against your skin... if you'd burn yourself, you'd burn your dress. 

Good luck! 
  • Options
    I am going to take mine to FI's dads house this weekend and hang it up high to see if most of the wrinkles will fall out. They lady who did my alterations said that she didn't think it would need to be steamed because of the fabric the outer layer is made of. However, if it needs to be steamed I will be doing it myself.
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I have a lot of experience steaming, because I did almost all of the costumes for the Nutcracker this year.

It depends on what your fabric is. Satin is not going to be a problem to steam, as long as it is synthetic, although from DB, it more than likely is. Do not do anything tulle on the outside by yourself. Accidentally touching tulle with a steamer will burn a hole in it immedieately. Same with chiffon. Let me know details and I will give a better opinion.

Also, $90 isn't horrible, but it isn't great either.
  • Options
    if your MIL is good at it, it will be fine. I had mine use her steamer on my dress that day. I hadn't even thought about her ruining it. .:)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i'm paying 50 to have mine steamed. I just don't want the hassle of doing it myself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards