Christian Weddings

Not Crazy about the book "Crazy Love"?

DId anyone else feel this way?  I had big expectations for this book, but I had to stop reading it.  It just wasn't clicking.  I can't put my finger on it but I felt like it was a bit repetitive and maybe even went in circles....am I think only person in the world that feels this way, I feel like all I've heard is people raving about it.  Maybe it's because I just left a So. Baptist church (no offense to any SB Knotties) that was very condmening, and I felt that the book was going down that way too?  Thoughts?

Re: Not Crazy about the book "Crazy Love"?

• aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AHH Joyful bride I love your sig pic!  I love photos with reflecting pools.

I wonder if any of his other books are the same way or not....

I think I'm going to read the Screw Tape letters instead.  A classic I've never read b4.
  • aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haven't read crazy love

but I have read parts of Screwtape letter.  They are incredibly difficult reads.  They are letters from Satan to his worker on earth, so its entirely a book that pushes your mind at every word.  To describe the book as "meaty" does not do it justice.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_not-crazy-book-crazy-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a4248b21-2ad9-4264-ad58-6088f5640234Post:7d686f28-fc31-4406-807d-507050ce2783">Re: Not Crazy about the book "Crazy Love"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]AHH Joyful bride I love your sig pic!  I love photos with reflecting pools. I wonder if any of his other books are the same way or not.... I think I'm going to read the Screw Tape letters instead.  A classic I've never read b4.
    Posted by aegrish[/QUOTE]

Thank you!! :) Screwtape letters was great but very bizarre. I enjoyed it but it was a strange book.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_not-crazy-book-crazy-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a4248b21-2ad9-4264-ad58-6088f5640234Post:d65f5386-0828-405b-b55b-7e73bc605f71">Re: Not Crazy about the book "Crazy Love"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]haven't read crazy love but I have read parts of Screwtape letter.  They are incredibly difficult reads.  They are letters from Satan to his worker on earth, so its entirely a book that pushes your mind at every word.  To describe the book as "meaty" does not do it justice.
    Posted by aggiebug[/QUOTE]

oh great I probably just wasted 9.99 on my kindle lol
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree with you. FI loves the book, I'm not a huge fan. I'm not sure why I don't like it though. I think the videos on his website are better than the book!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't watch the videos.  I'll have to check them out.
  • edited December 2011
    I started reading this in the bookstore because there was such rave reviews about it. I generally read stuff for an hour or two in the bookstore before I buy it, and I definitely didn't like it. I also thought it was very repetitive.
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    My sister is doing this in her small group and seems to like it.  I haven't read it and now I'm thinking that maybe I'm not missing anything.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_not-crazy-book-crazy-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a4248b21-2ad9-4264-ad58-6088f5640234Post:b5fc95de-331f-4d4a-ac87-1c471ed986ac">Re: Not Crazy about the book "Crazy Love"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister is doing this in her small group and seems to like it.  I haven't read it and now I'm thinking that maybe I'm not missing anything.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

Well I'm wondering if maybe a study or class on it maybe would incorporate some more twists and lessons to it to take away from the repetitiveness?  I'm not sure...but I don't do book study classes or groups mainly because I'm afraid I'll not like the book enough to take the class seriously and stay committed.
  • edited December 2011
    If you try to read it without the videos, it doesn't make as much sense.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    We were doing it as part of a study group at church and I only made it through chapter 5.  I don't know why, but I just didn't connect with Chan.
    Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    Have you read or listen to any of Francis Chan's other stuff? I love the man (his style included) but I definately think it's not for everyone. 

I read Forgotten God and I know it was different than Crazy Love, but it was still Francis Chan...does that make sense?

I think a study would add a ton to it...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Screwtape Letters is awesome!!!!  Love it.  Didn't find it repetitive at all.  I felt it really alerted me to the ways humans are tempted.  Also love Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.  

Another AMAZING spiritual book is the Meaning of Life by Victor Frankl.  I read it in a theology course in college, and my professor said that every year so many students come up to him saying how the book transformed their lives.  It is about how a guy found meaning in life living through the Holocaust.  It really beautiful and touching, very much an affirmation of faith, love, and free will.  It starts off a little slow, but it picks up.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't read Crazy Love, but it is on FI's and my list of books to read and I am thinking maybe I'll take it off now. Any good marriage prep books anyone has?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards