Hawaii

Can't choose a photographer! HELP!

Hi All,
I've been trying to make this decision for so long and can't make a decision. So am hoping you wonderful brides and brides to be can give me your opinion. I'm debating between 2 photographers. Love both of them, but they have 2 very different styles.

The first is more classic/elegant/photo journalistic and the second is more vibrant and fun. I've talked to both photographers. One I totally clicked with and spoke with for over 2 hours on the phone, the other I got a long with well but didn't click as well but there was nothing wrong with them. There is a bit of a price difference, but not anything substantial that would lead me to one over the other.

Fiance says to go with the cheaper option, but I can't decide. Here are the 2 photographer websites. If you have a chance, it would be great if you could take a look at their photos and let me know who you would choose OR even better if you have heard or used either of these photographers, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I just want to choose, and get this done with but I can't!! Thanks in advance for your help!!

1) http://derekwongphotography.com/main.php#home/
2) http://www.lmprophoto.com/

Re: Can't choose a photographer! HELP!

• I think it is a matter of taste. Personally I like the second better but only because I am not a fan of the vintage and b/w photography. To me tropical says "pop" and I like that the second has the pop factor but captures the elegance at the same time. Just my opinion but they are both very good and I can see why you are having trouble. 
  • In the end its your decision.  If the price difference in minimal then I go with the one that incorporates the style you want.  When you imagine what your pictures will say about your day are you feeling fun and vibrant, or more classic and elegant?  I like the style of Derek Wong better but that's my preference.  Also it is very important to be able to click with your photog, so I go with the one you are at ease with then when the day comes everything is smoother and you two will be able to communicate what shots you will want better.
  • i love Derek Wong! If we could have afforded him for the time period we wanted, he would've been my #1 choice.  He's EXCELLENT and quick with communication too, btw! 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- While trying on a wedding dress, I asked my 3 year old niece what she thought. She responded "where are your glass slippers?"
  • I personally like the second more vibrant one myself. I also think that if you do like a mix of vibrant and elegant bw I would go with the second. Photographers I've found who typically do all elegant kind of old fashioned pics find it hard to also do nice pop colour ones whereas you could ask the second photographer to mix a few classic and bw photos in with the vibrant ones. Ultimately your choice though and what you imagine for your photos. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks all for your opinions. Looks like we are at a tie haha! Someone needs to break the tie for me!

I love elements of both their photos. L'amour I was drawn to right away because of the vibrancy of their photos which I think captures Hawaii perfectly. I have talked to the associate that will be doing our wedding and he seems nice but I just don't click with him as well as I did with Derek. L'amour is a bit cheaper, but I just relooked at the package and they only offer 650 edited images vs. Derek who is $500 more but includes unlimited images. Does anyone have an opinion on limited photos vs 650? Is 650 enough? L'amour's package also includes a 1 hr engagment session which is a nice feature. 

Derek on the other hand is more expensive, but I talked to him for over 2 hrs and felt so comfortable with him and was on a Hawaii wedding site a few weeks ago and saw some photos I loved and found out they were his photos. I don't love b/w photos, and probably wouldn't want any in our photos, but like some of you said it may be difficult to get him to change his style to a more vibrant style such as L'amours... 

So hard to decide! Sorry, about the rant, just feel it is easier to talk it out with you guys than the fiance who just says to go with the cheaper option. If only my brain worked that way!

Off topic: I posted on a few of the other sections of The knot to ask for advice, and some of the girls on the other forums are fierce. This Hawaii bunch is by far the most supportive and nice! :-)
  • I just went through this with my Nate and Jenna vs Anna Kim. So, I'll pull a Randy Fennoli on you (he does this with a tied dress selection) Ready? ... If it is a true tie, go with the least expensive. Simple as that. Now that I have said that, if you're still squirming at the thought of going with that less expensive photographer ... you have your answer., which is you really want the other. You really cannot go wrong chica. They are equally amazing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have booked Derek Wong for our wedding in November.  We love his photography style and we were able to customise a package to suit us which we included an engagement session so you do have that option it you decide to go with him.  We spoke on the phone for about 1.5 hrs and clicked with him straight away.

In my opnion though, you need to go with the photographer that has the style you prefer, as you you will have your wedding photographs forever and you don't want to be looking back on them saying I wish we had of gone with the other photographer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards