Snarky Brides

I feel absolutely sick.

This is probably going to be one of my rambling LJ posts, I just felt like I could use a vent this evening and that maybe some of you would read it (or some of it, hehe) and give me a little encouragement.

CN - An old classmate of mine is dying after being in a coma for six months and I'm bent out of shape over it.

Six and a half months ago an old college classmate of mine (he was student body president when I was a sophomore) suffered a TBI (traumatic brain injury).  He got punched just right by some drunk douchebag in a bar and he landed on his head.  He's been in a coma ever since and his prognosis has been grim - but of course, you always have to hope for the best.  I've been praying for half a year for a miracle for this guy.

I was subscribed to his carepage and got an email that it was updated tonight.  As I read, it became very apparent that I had missed something, because they were talking about hospice care.  I scrolled to the previous journal entry, which had been posted the night before my wedding (no wonder I missed it), which explained that since he had made no progress, and that he was actually deteriorating, the decision was made to transition him to hospice care where he will die.

It's been about a half hour since I learned this and I am angry and sad all over again.  When I heard about what happened I believed so much that he could recover, but with every month that went by, I knew his chances were growing fewer and fewer - but I still believed he had a chance.  This guy was a pilot and probably one of the nicest people you'd ever meet.  His long term girlfriend was the one posting all the updates and I can't imagine what she's going through.

This Thanksgiving I went to bed and I couldn't sleep for a while thinking about how lucky I am and - honestly - counting my blessings.  I cannot in a million years imagine this happening to someone so close to me and hearing about this 33 year old man's impending death (and for NO reason!) makes me feel thousands of emotions all at once.  The journal entries always talk about how blessed the family and his friends all feel to have had him while he was here, and how they will always remember what a bright star he was in their life.  And soon he'll be gone.  I mean, he's pretty much been gone for over six months - but soon it will be for real.  And my heart is breaking :(

So yeah.  I guess the long and short of all this is that I'm depressed about it.  I know that I should never take any of the people in my life whom I love for granted, but something like this happening to someone I love is probably my biggest fear.  I know when I go to bed tonight I'm going to hold Ben just a little closer to me than I usually do.

Is anyone even here?  Tell me something good.
panther

Re: I feel absolutely sick.

• Oh aatb, I'm sorry to hear this :(
  • I'm so sorry AATB. I too am terrified of something like this happening to someone I love. I have very few words of encouragement except to say that I will say a prayer tonight for this man and his family and friends, and of course you!
  • oh, honey! I'm so sorry. I don't even have the words. (big hugs)

Did they at least catch the guy who did this and charge him with something? I'd think he'd get charged for manslaughter if he dies or something. Maybe some good can come of this.

To tell you something good...I'm getting a pedicure tomorrow! I'm thinking a nice ice blue...that's good, right? =)
  • Oh yeah the guy who punched him actually turned himself in.  I guess he didn't think that what happened was as serious as it actually was, I think the actual quote was something like "It was just one *bleeping* punch," but yeah... he's been charged with assault I believe, but after he passes I'm thinking the charges will be upgraded.

The same thing happened with a police officer from our area who was shot a couple years ago and died 18 months later.
    panther
  • I'm sorry to hear about your friend, AATB. That's really rough. *E-hugs*
  • I am very sorry about your friend, too AATB. I know it has to be even harder because of how it happened.

There are a few things I have thought about when I have lost people close to me, take them for what they are worth they may or may not help you at all:

Whatever you do or do not believe about an afterlife, the person you lose is "fine" after they die-they feel no pain, no loss. You are the one who is suffering. That person does live, though in the memories of every person they knew. The best thing you can do for yourself-and for them is to keep all the good memories and feelings about them alive. 

Grief is not a neat tidy process with a beginning, middle, and end that results in "closure". I firmly believe we never "get over" any loss-large or small. We just incorporate the loss into our lives and learn to live with it. Thinking that makes me feel better because I am not trying to make myself "get over it".

I know it can be hard, but try not to get caught up in the "why" question. Life is either random or completely planned out by a higher power or something in between, depending on your beliefs and ask "why" something this terrible happens will mostly drive you crazy and make you more angry.

Big cyber hugs and thinking of you today.
  • I'm sorry, AATB - what a tragic situation. 
  • I'm so sorry to hear about this.  Glad to hear that the person responsible has been charged.
    Anniversary
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    So sorry to hear about your friend... It's hard to deal with something like this that is caused by pointless violence and to understand what on earth would posses an adult to resolve a conflict with their hands instead of their words. I hope the person responsible feels remorse for what he did and realizes now the gravity of violence.

On the plus side, judging from what you said about the posts by his girlfriend and family it seems he lived a lovely life and was surrounded by lots of people who loved him dearly. As sad as it is to see someone pass, you need to embrace their spirit and celebrate his life and the time you did have with him.

Something good - don't focus on the fear of losing Ben or someone else close to you like that or any other way for that matter. Focus on the moments you have with those you love. Make a mental notebook of the little things that get you through your days and hold onto it forever. What's important is the here and now so make all your todays count.

Keep your chin up hun, you'll get through this as will his girlfriend and family. You're all in my thoughts. *hugs*

Photobucket
  • That is so sad. :( I'm sorry girl.
    I can't imagine what his girlfriend is feeling either. That would be so devastating.
  • Oh man, AATB I'm sorry to hear about that. I feel sort of depressed after reading that because it just seems unfair and completely screwed up that something like that could happen to someone.

I don't even know what I would do in a situation like that and I imagine it would be terribly difficult to deal with for his loved ones. It sounds weird to say this, but at the very least situations like this force people to take a step back and realize all the things they have to be grateful for, which is what you did.
  • So sorry, AATB.  That's tough.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks for the kind words girls - I do feel better today.  It's a crappy situation of course, but he WAS a good person and lived a good life.  And living in a coma for months on end is no life anyway - I know it's for the best.  It's just hard :( But I really do appreciate your words.
    panther
  • Oh AATB, I'm so sorry. I've had two cousins in similar situations. It sucks, especially when you follow their care page and you're rooting for them so much!

As for something good...there's good stuff on TV tonight! Idk what your fav shows are but between NCIS, Glee, and Sons of Anarchy, you could just forget the real world and be glued to the TV (that's what I'll be doing)!
    Mrs. Wiggins image
  • I'm so sorry to hear this, AATB.  It truly is a tragedy.  It makes me so sad and angry when someone's senseless actions cost another person so much, for no good reason.  I'll be thinking about him and his family, and hoping for nothing but comfort and peace for you and them and everyone that knows him. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • That is so sad. I hate hearing stories like this. I always thought if something happened to H, I don't even know what I would do with myself, so I can't imagine how his SO is dealing with the whole thing. A girl on our club board's (well she changed her date for unrelated reasons prior to this happening) FI got in a serious accident back in the spring, which left him with lots of internal injuries as well as a TBI, and although he survived he still can't walk and has to go through constant physical therapy.
  • Lenore said what I wanted to say only better. I'm so sorry - this is such a horrible situation. I completely understand the feeling of holding out hope. I was in the hospital with my friend Jacquie the night she died (of cancer) and a pastor came in to bless her. I STILL had hope that she would snap out of her coma and come back. It's never naive to have hope and I think it's necessary.

I can't even imagine what your friend's girlfriend is going through. It just breaks my heart and makes me sick to my stomach. What a horrible and scary tragedy. I know I'm late to this thread but I'm sending you E-Hugs anyways. <3
    Photobucket
  • Hugs and peace to you.  I've been dealing with some heavy stuff too.  I won't hijack your board, but suffice it to say, I truly know some of the feelings you're dealing with.  If you can, try to keep in touch with your friend's girlfriend, she's going to need friends now more than ever.  Love to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards