Wedding Party
Options

Gift from MOH - I don't like it!

My MOH threw me a bridal shower last weekend. She purchased an expensive, engraved guest book for our wedding. It was a very sweet gesture, but it's totally not my and my fiance's style at all. It's quite fancy, and our wedding is casual and relaxed. It surprises me that she would have picked it out at all. I had actually bought a guest book from the Knot that I loved. My fiance then had to lie and tell me he didn't like because he knew my MOH had already ordered us one.

Is there any way at all I can get out of using the guest book she bought us, or am I stuck?

Re: Gift from MOH - I don't like it!

• Options
    Maybe use it as a memento for your house. My grandpa had a guest book and would have visitors sign it. I looked in it recently and my dad signed it the day he was going to marry my mom.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2010
    It's just a guest book. IMO it's not worth hurting your MOH's feelings by not putting it out.

We had planned something different for our guestbook, but then we received a signature platter from a relative. It wasn't bad at all, just not what we envisioned for our book. But we put it out at the wedding anyway (along with a scrapbook that came with the photobooth we rented) and a lot of people signed it, and the relative said she was very flattered that we chose to use it.

Our wedding was four months ago. Both the photobooth scrapbook and the signature platter, as much as we love them both, are in storage. I'm telling you, you'll look at it once or twice in the month after the wedding, and then you'll probably put it away and forget about it. It's a book with signatures - it's really not a big deal.

No, you're not obligated to use it (you can always say that you bought something else before that), but I personally think it'd be considerate to use it. Put out your other guest book at the rehearsal dinner if you wish. I just think that a book you'll probably look at twice in your life is not worth hurting a friend's feelings.

*** ETA: I'll also add that we registered for a particular set of toasting flutes that I really wanted, and we wound up getting a different set as a gift that we used for the wedding. The flutes are also in storage right now. I'm telling you, it won't matter in the end.
  • Options
    Maybe you could use it as a wedding scrapbook instead?
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I also think it's not worth hurting your MOH's feelings. I would just go ahead and use it.  None of your guests will take time to examine the guest book and be like "oh my, why do they have such a fancy guest book?" 

One of H's cousins offered to make my garter for me.  She did, and it was super ugly.  It was giant and had a ton of lace, and blah.  I used it anyway because she was going to be at the wedding, and she'd obviously notice if I didn't use it. I didn't think it was worth hurting her feelings over because it really wasn't a big deal.
  • Options
    Once the guest book is open it will probably stay open and nobody will see the cover and/or notice how fancy it is.  Plus, anyone who was at your shower will know that it was a gift from MOH.  I would just use it and not think about it. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ohhhh, dnbeach, cool picture of you and your BMs!  I love the water in the back.
  • Options
    Since you already bought a guest book you liked, use that one. If MOH asks, tell her you purchased it in advance
  • Options
    I agree not worth hurting her feeling over. No one will think anything about how fancy the guest book is.

DNBEACH - I too like your picture; although ::GASP:: the bridesmaid dresses are different! Holy cow...they got to pick a dress they like, inside their own budget, without you looking over their shoulder? What kind of weird parallel universe is this? Wink
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_gift-moh-dont-like?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e66028be-d874-4f92-9067-694154c0042bPost:278d5caa-ab9e-4367-afbb-63472773d7df">Re: Gift from MOH - I don't like it!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe you could use it as a wedding scrapbook instead?
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]
    This is a good idea.
    If I didn't like it, I woildn't use it.
  • Options
    dnbeach is that Niagara Falls in the background? Beautiful! I hope the weather isn't too awful for my march wedding so I can get to the falls and do some shots!
  • Options
    dnbeach, actually I was thinking the same thing about your pic when I saw it this morning. I like that your girls all wore black dresses in different styles. Mine did too.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    I would find something creative to do with it at the wedding. What that could be - I'm not sure, but there's gotta be something. You can use both & not hurt your MOH's feelings.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_gift-moh-dont-like?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:e66028be-d874-4f92-9067-694154c0042bPost:3f88842b-ac0a-4e77-b04c-eee9c4e299f6">Re: Gift from MOH - I don't like it!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong><em><u>It's just a guest book. IMO it's not worth hurting your MOH's feelings by not putting it out.</u></em></strong>

This, this, this!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else...put some type of use to it! Something creative! So its not so outstanding at the wedding use it at the Rehearsal dinner or put both books out..most people are going to be so excited about everything else they probably wont notice a fancy guest book! :) I hope you get everything worked out :D CONGRATS!
  • Options

Return the one you purchased from TK save the money and use the one that was given to you by your closest friend. like PP said It's just a guestbook you will most likely never ever ever look at it again.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_gift-moh-dont-like?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e66028be-d874-4f92-9067-694154c0042bPost:4d4a5dda-dcf8-4db1-9ded-0fbb40e4319d">Re: Gift from MOH - I don't like it!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Once the guest book is open it will probably stay open and nobody will see the cover and/or notice how fancy it is.  Plus, anyone who was at your shower will know that it was a gift from MOH.  I would just use it and not think about it. 
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]
    This is an excellent point.  Just make sure it's already open when it's set out.  Besides, I really don't think people will really notice or give any thought to what you're using as a guest book.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Sorry you do not like it, she might be offended if you do not use it. I would just use it at the reception, no one is going to care if it goes with the theme anyway.
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards