Outdoor Weddings

suggestions please and thank you!

we are going to hav pink lawn flamingos, polaroid carmeras, and an assortment of lawn furniture for an outdoor wedding in june. we live at the beach, but arent really down with a beach themed wedding (hence the pink. i need help and any ideas at making this look pretty and fun, without eveything looking like crap while completely blowing up the bank account! also, am im looking for the j crew goddess dress or something very similar.

Re: suggestions please and thank you!

• I am confused. You do or you don't want the flamingos?  What is the opening line of this post about?  Beaches are beautiful, why do you have to get all crazy on decor?
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_lots-of-ideas-nowhere-put?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:7d6db117-cce7-4877-bdd5-318d3d764c80Post:56a7d365-78e8-4c90-b0af-ce91573064ed">Re: lots of ideas, nowhere to put them!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um, lawn ornaments are pretty much tacky no matter the circumstance.  Even worse when used for a wedding.
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

Well then crap, what am I going to do with the lucky wedding gnomes I have been collecting since I was 4?
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • ive lived at the beach my entire life. i dont want to have a wedding filled with seashells and starfish. i guess my style is tacky flamingos and lawn furniture. reguardless, im going to have a few flamingos lining the isle for the ceremony and then one for the make shift photo booth. the lawn furniture will be covered with different kinds of floral materials- if needed. yellows, pinks, white.
    i suppose my main question would be, what sorts of creative things could i do for centerpieces, cake tables, bathrooms, etc... ? its all outdoors. were getting married on the ebach then riding bikes a short distance to the reception.. a large yard with a couple of large oak trees at the perimeter.

and i think pink flamingos are awesome!
  • Hi! 

I don't know what part of the country you're living in. Are you in FL?  I can see the pink flamingos and lawn furniture at an at home wedding.
    If you go on the pink flamingo theme, your colors can match the flamiingo color.  I can see kind of an old Florida look.   Think of the old pink Florida hotels. 
    Don Cesar:
    http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Hotels/St-Pete-Beach-Resort/Overview.aspx#1
    The Vinoy
    http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/tpasr-vinoy-renaissance-st-petersburg-resort-and-golf-club/

You could get pink or sea blue Adirondack chairs, pink table cloths.  If it's an evening wedding you can wrap the trees in tiny lights.   

Have fun with it! 
  • i live on the outer banks in north carolina. old florida hotel sounds really cool though. ill check out those links. thanks a lot!
  • I live in Florida; I've been to the Don Cesar, the Vinoy, The Breakers in Palm Beach, and The Biltmore in Coral Gables.  I never saw one plastic pink flamingo at any of them.  If you don't want your wedding to look like crap, skip the flamingos.  Since you think they're awesome, save them for a funky party at your home after you're married.

If you want an old Florida look, use lots of wicker furniture with tropical prints.  You could have potted hibiscus plants throught the area as well of lots and lots of palms potted palms.  Your idea of riding bikes (althought I don't see how you'll do it if you're wearing a gown) could fit in with an Old Florida theme.

• you could incorporate the flamingo by using one as part of a monogram or one emblem on your papers....invites, rsvps, thank you notes, etc. That way you can still have them, but not as a lawn ornament. I like the idea of the hybiscus and palm trees as the pp said. But as long as you like the decor, it's your special day and can decorate as you see fit.
  • thanks christicmc! i actually have just finsihed up he invites and theres a flamingo on them! theres no way of getting around having flamingos at the wedding. you see, im slightly obsessed. but i really appreciate your positive suggestions for my upcoming nuptuals! im open to any further ideas that anyone has. but please, now that everyone knows i have bad taste, please stop bashing the flamingo idea. thanks!
  • A quck goggle showed, pink flamingo lights, pink flamingo wine stoppers, cups, cocktail napkins, etc.  so you are not alone in your love for pink flamingos-have what you want, it is your day.

Check out these sites for ideas

http://www.collector-connection.com/pinflamlig.html

http://www.tropicalbreezedecor.com/pinkflamingotheme.aspx
  • Kudos for sticking to your guns! Pink flamingos will be great - unexpected and campy.  I think lots of little lights, white and pink, decorating the big trees, would be really cool.  Also look into art deco motifs for the cake table, etc.  It's very original and will not look like crap! Geez.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards