Ohio-Cincinnati

Caterer problem!

My fiance and I went back and forth negotiating a price with our caterer months ago. Now, two weeks before the wedding, they've come to us with a "revised estimate" raising the price of food from $22.50 per person to $30 per person and the price of service by $1000. The total quote has gone from $5600 to over $8300! We have the original pricing in writing, but they are refusing to honor it, saying it's only an estimate and that the woman who negotiated the original pricing with us made a mistake. We can't afford the new price (and are not happy about being asked to pay so much more!) Our wedding is 2 weeks away and it would be difficult to find another caterer. What should we do?
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Caterer problem!

• That's terrible!  I can't imagine how stressful.  I think they should honor the original price.  Was it a contract that you signed or just an esitimate that they provided?  If it was a contract they are obligated to the terms agreed upon.  However, if they're refusing I would suggest trying to find someone else in the meantime.  You can deal with it after the wedding.  Hopefully you haven't made any final payments.

We're going with Jeanette's Delicassies.  I HIGHLY reccommend her.  Her pricing is fantastic, food is delicious and she was very professional.  If you want more info, PM me.  Other caterers we considered that were in our price range (which seems to be about your range as well) was Funky's (but we didn't do a tasting), Hilver's (did a tasting and was realllllly not impressed), Cuisine East West (didn't look into this one too much).  

Depending on the number of guests you're serving you may want to look into local restaurants as well.  

Good luck!
  • How much deposit have you put down? Can you get out of the contract still? I know I have booked dinners for corporate events in a shorter period of time. It may still be possible to find someone else. 

Let them know that you are very familiar that the wedding business works off of referalls and if they do not honor the price you will be telling everyone you knew as well as placing negative reviews every where you possibly could on the internet.

The quote may have been in error and only an estimate, but to catch it this close to your wedding date is horrible and unacceptable! If this was my business I would be eating the additional costs just to save face.

Would you mind sharing the catering company's name, so others can avoid them or make sure they have truly quoted all of the necessary costs?
  • TWO weeks before your wedding???  I can't imagine how you must be feeling (other than your BP rising).  How elaborate a reception are you planning?  Agree w/ PP regarding local restaurants:  Pompillio's comes to mind - very reasonable too, from what I've read on these posts.  Please tell us who it is and let them know you're sharing this story w/ other Knotties in the area!!.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards