Vermont

Jay Peak vs. Basin Harbor

My fiancée and I are stumped.  We've narrowed down our wedding venue to either Jay Peak or Basin Harbor Club.  We want to give our guests a whole weekend of fun - we're getting married on Sunday, May 26, with the rehearsal dinner and some sort of activity the day before (Saturday), and my bachelorette party two days before (Friday, since I have a lot of out of town friends and don't want to make them fly to Vermont twice) - oh, and a brunch the morning after.
So at Jay, we can have the ceremony at the summit (wind and weather permitting, and that's a real consideration on Memorial Day Weekend), the pond (weather permitting), or inside at Alice's Table. We'll do cocktails at Alice's Table (great wooden tables), and we've chosen the International Room for the reception - high ceiling with beams, nice dance floor.  For fun, there's the indoor water park and an ice rink we can rent for a game of broomball!  It's rustic & nice, and everyone's really friendly.
At Basin Harbor, on the other hand, there's a lovely garden for an outdoor ceremony, a nice cocktail room off the main dining room for a rain location and cocktails, and a gorgeous dining room.  It's right on Lake Champlain and everything is picture-perfect pretty.  But if it rains, there's no hiking or boating, and that's pretty much all there is to do.
So do we go for pretty or fun?  What are the chances of the mountaintop ceremony actually happening on May 26?  We'd really appreciate any help you can give us, especially if you're familiar with the places!

Re: Jay Peak vs. Basin Harbor

• I'm getting married at the basin harbor club and it is very beautiful there. The food is great and they have a lot of nice spots for photos. They also offer golf and a boat ride. I'm not sure about the activities though. It is more of an outdoor place so if it rains there isn't much. Burlington is only about 45 min away so that could be a rain back up. Sorry I'm not too helpful. I just love the basin harbor club. It's a good value for your money and beautiful.
  • Here is some advice from a wedding planner :)

Basin Harbor is amazing not only from a planners perspective but I jsut went to my cousins wedding there. Even if it were to rain you still have lots of options because you are so close to the Burlington area. The food is excellant as well as the staff. There is lots of outdoor activities like boating, paddleboats, kayaks, canoes, paddleboards, and so on.  You can't beat the views at sunset. 

Jay Peak: This is another great choice. Pro's: you have the waterpark, great food, spa amentieis. So there is tons to do in case it rains. You can either have a tented wedding, a garden ceremony, or have your wedding in one of their ballrooms so the options are endless.
    Cons: Like any new resort their still working out the kinks of weddings but they are getting there! There is going to be a lot more people there then Basin Harbor as it is a resort so having the " private time" might not happen as this place is always busy. 
    Your not near any major city so you would need to stay put and have all your guests stay there for your wedding. 

I hope this helps!!
    Jackie Watson

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards