Snarky Brides
Options

Sometimes, good deeds DO go unpunished

I know not many people will see this, but I'm very excited and had to share. My stepdad was laid off over a year ago after the company he worked for went under. Since then he's been doing odd jobs but had a hell of a time finding work. As a result, he and my mom are seriously struggling financially (she's a teacher).

About 6 months ago, he got a job 2 days a week at a place he absolutely loves. A month ago they opened up a full-time position and he applied. Last Wednesday he had an interview with the assistant general manager and the general manager, and was told the job is between him and another guy.

That night, stepdad is driving home from work on the highway and sees a woman on the side of the road with a baby. She had a flat tire, so he pulled over to help (he always does this). He changes the tire and follows her to a gas station to put air in it, refuses her offer of money. They get to talking, she asks where he works. It turns out she's known the general manager for years through her own work and said she would have to call him and tell him stepdad is her hero.

Friday morning, stepdad gets pulled into general manager's office and is hired. Full time, with benefits, his own parking space. He starts Monday. The manager raved about how helpful stepdad is, his awesome personality, etc. I'm so happy for him and my mom, I just had to share!

Re: Sometimes, good deeds DO go unpunished

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    That is a great story! Congratulations to him. That makes me happy to hear it turned out so well for a good peson.
  • Options
    Great news!  Glad to hear that good things really do happen to good people.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    That's amazing! He sounds very deserving.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    zippitybzippityb member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2010
    What a wonderful story!

When I was a freshman in college, I was driving home to Houston from San Antonio for the weekend when my back tire completely disintegrated. I don't know what happened, all I knew was that my truck started shaking and I pulled over because I was scared. Before I could even realize what was going on and start freaking out, a couple dressed in business clothing pulled over behind me and told me that my tire went kaput. The guy changed my tire in his suit on the side of the road and got all gross, and I was back on my way in 15 minutes. I wished I would have gotten their business card or something, because I would have liked to have done something nice for them, but I didn't think about it at the time. I still think about those people and hope that something wonderful has happened to them as a result of their kindness to me.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks everyone! I agree, he's such a great person but because of his age and lack of college degree, no one would hire him. He'd give you the shirt off his back if anyone asked.

It's just funny how small a world it is. Of all the times he's stopped to help people on the side of the road, it was this one time he met the right person on the right day.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sometimes-good-deeds-unpunished?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:69f5ff86-f131-44c7-825b-5aa3ddaacc0cPost:9d5a8837-a329-4119-9b62-40830c3bfd96">Re: Sometimes, good deeds DO go unpunished</a>:
    [QUOTE]What a wonderful story! When I was a freshman in college, I was driving home to Houston from San Antonio for the weekend when my back tire completely disintegrated. I don't know what happened, all I knew was that my truck started shaking and I pulled over because I was scared. Before I could even realize what was going on and start freaking out, a couple dressed in business clothing pulled over behind me and told me that my tire went kaput. The guy changed my tire in his suit on the side of the road and got all gross, and I was back on my way in 15 minutes. I wished I would have gotten their business card or something, because I would have liked to have done something nice for them, but I didn't think about it at the time. I still think about those people and hope that something wonderful has happened to them as a result of their kindness to me.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

I don't know what I'd do if that happened to me. I'd probably be like the woman he helped, standing there freaking out. That's awesome that they stopped, even in nice clothes.

Stepdad said the woman looked at him like he was a psycho when he stopped. Understandable, since she had a baby, was alone, and people generally tend to suck these days. So he just asked here where the spare was and got to work. Once she was sure he wasn't going to attack her she started talking.
  • Options
    Seshat--I love stories where great things happen to wonderful, deserving people.  Congrats to your stepdad for me!
  • Options
    Yay that is so awesome :)
  • Options
    That's really cool.  It's great with things work out the way they should and good people actually get what they deserve.  Congrats to your dad!
  • Options
    Oh Seshat that is just wonderful. See good Karma pays off. I believe as long as you are a good person at heart things will work out well for you in the end. Congratulaions to your step-dad!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that with us Seshat. That is wonderful. Somehow makes me feel a little better about the world.
  • Options
    What an awesome story. It seriously gave me chills. So cool. Congrats to your stepdad!
  • Options
    kd--I'd like to believe that too. He and my mom are the best kind of people and it sucked not being able to help them. Plus, where they live is relatively small job-wise, so work is really hard to come by for a lot of people.

I wish I could be more like them in that they make friends wherever they go, always help people in need, etc. But I take after my dad, we're anti-social kind of folk.
  • Options
    That is great!! So glad to hear there are still decent people in the world. Congrats to him!! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats to your stepdad--what a heartwarming (in the most non-lame manner I can use the word) story!
  • Options
    That is wonderful! I'm so happy for your family, especially after being without security for so long. 

I do believe it pays to be a good person. When I was 18, I drove from LA to Phoenix for a big annual event. I was about an hour away in the desert, when I got a flat. I was undoing the spare tire when I looked up. There were three guys in their twenties standing there on the side of the road. They had pulled up and I hadn't heard them. Scared the pee out of me. Well, the sat me down, handed me a soda and proceeded to change out my tire for me. Very nice boys, found out we were all heading to the same event.

The next year, I was driving out with friends to the same event. This time it was the middle of the night and there was a bunch of people flagging us down. We stopped and my friend got out to see what was up. A car had rolled off the side of the road and while everyone was fine and the car landed on its tires, they were stuck. A pickup truck had tried to pull them out, but had to leave the asphalt to reach them with his tow strap and had got stuck, too. So, the boys hooked my tow chain up to the truck and I pulled both vehicles out. When we were done, I walked back to see if everyone was ok and found out that the car that rolled belonged to the three young men who had helped me the year before. 

We can all help each other in this world, and it's hard sometimes not be be cynical. Stories like your stepdads remind me of that.
    AMA over 40
    Massive uterine fibroids removed 3/06
    BFP 1/11; MM/C discovered @ 10w, loss at 6w; Cytotec
    B/W 7/11 = normal CD3, FSH 8.9; 7DPO progesterone 1.7
    Three Clomid cycles, all BFN, Off to an RE for me...
    FSH=8.7 E2=30 AMH=1.8 HSG clear, SA=great
    Inj. IUI #1 12/9/11 BFN, Inj. IUI #2 1/6/12 BFN
    Inj. IUI #3 1/30/12 BFP!, HCG doubled through 6w, 7w u/s mm/c twins
    Lost our known donor to unplanned pregnancy
    Factor V Leiden, Hetero, symptomatic
    Op Hysteroscopy 5/12, removed scar tissue and uterine septum
    Doing Cryo-DE IVF and older child adoption (Home visit- Check!)
    Beautiful hatching 5-blast transfered 8/30
    BFP 9/7/12 EDD May 19, 2013, beta #1=291 beta #2=762 beta #3=7306
    Sneek peak u/s shows HB at 6w1d!!! 123bpm!
    Still have a HB at 18w0d!!! 142bpm! Grow, baby, grow!
    Great NT scan, but, placenta previa. Resolving!
    Labile Hypertension, placed on HBP meds to try to avoid pre-e
    A/S on 12/21/12, Petra's having a baby, it's the end of the world!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PGAL Siggy Challenge- Animal Hangovers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Petra, you are an obese 40+ year old. Stop jumping through these hoops. Just adopt already. There is no shame in that." -Deethebee
  • Options
    Wow, that's crazy Petra. Awesome story though! I don't have any like that. The only one I can think of is when I was 18, I was driving home on 95 for the first time alone and the radiator hose blew. I managed to pull into a creepy gas station to call my stepdad, but I had no clue what was wrong with the car. I was near tears because it was raining and these skeezy guys kept asking me if I wanted a lift back to their place to grab a beer while I waited (another asked me if I wanted to go for a ride on his motorcycle).

Then a truck pulled up to the pump and 4 guys got out. They saw me on the phone, looking under the hood as I described what was going on to my stepdad. They came over and figured out the problem, talked to my stepdad so he knew what part to buy, and stayed with me until he got there (about an hour) so the creepy guys would leave me alone.

Turns out they were headed in the same direction to help out the people affected by the hurricanes that year. They were filling up on gas for their tools and were going down for a week to clean up some of the really hard-hit areas, just because they wanted to help.
  • Options
    Wow! I'm so glad the truck of helpful guys pulled up. That's really scary about the creepy guys though. 
    AMA over 40
    Massive uterine fibroids removed 3/06
    BFP 1/11; MM/C discovered @ 10w, loss at 6w; Cytotec
    B/W 7/11 = normal CD3, FSH 8.9; 7DPO progesterone 1.7
    Three Clomid cycles, all BFN, Off to an RE for me...
    FSH=8.7 E2=30 AMH=1.8 HSG clear, SA=great
    Inj. IUI #1 12/9/11 BFN, Inj. IUI #2 1/6/12 BFN
    Inj. IUI #3 1/30/12 BFP!, HCG doubled through 6w, 7w u/s mm/c twins
    Lost our known donor to unplanned pregnancy
    Factor V Leiden, Hetero, symptomatic
    Op Hysteroscopy 5/12, removed scar tissue and uterine septum
    Doing Cryo-DE IVF and older child adoption (Home visit- Check!)
    Beautiful hatching 5-blast transfered 8/30
    BFP 9/7/12 EDD May 19, 2013, beta #1=291 beta #2=762 beta #3=7306
    Sneek peak u/s shows HB at 6w1d!!! 123bpm!
    Still have a HB at 18w0d!!! 142bpm! Grow, baby, grow!
    Great NT scan, but, placenta previa. Resolving!
    Labile Hypertension, placed on HBP meds to try to avoid pre-e
    A/S on 12/21/12, Petra's having a baby, it's the end of the world!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PGAL Siggy Challenge- Animal Hangovers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Petra, you are an obese 40+ year old. Stop jumping through these hoops. Just adopt already. There is no shame in that." -Deethebee
  • Options
    Wow--interesting stories!

One time, when my best friend and I were still in college, we were driving at about 11 at night and she drove over a tire that was lying in the road.  I'm not really sure how it happened and we didn't even realize there was an issue until we saw sparks flying from underneath the car. 

Terrified, we pulled into a car dealership and tried to look under the car, but we couldn't see anything.  A man in a huge truck pulled in beside us--naturally, we were nervous.  He asked us what was wrong, looked under the car and told us we were dragging a tire. Then he pulled a huge Captain Hook style hook and rope fromhis car, at which point I whispered "What the hell kind of person drives around with a hook in their car?!?!" .  He ended up hooking the tire and yanking it our with his own truck.  He was a genuinely nice guy and we've always wondered who he was, where he was from, etc.  Good Samaritans make a difference in the world.
  • Options
    Good for him! I know I'm late on this, but I really do believe that kindness pays off. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    awww. Congrats to your stepdad!  I almost teared up a little reading this.  It's nice to hear a good story once in awhile too.  Karma really does exist.
  • Options
    Oh, I LOVE hearing stories like this! So glad to hear the good news!!
  • Options
    What great stories!

Congrats to your stepdad, Sesh!
  • Options
    My husband (with a college degree) has been out of work for over 2 years so I am honestly, completely thrilled when I learn of anyone getting a job because I know how awful it is.  Yay for your step-dad!  And what a load off both your mom and him.
  • Options
    that is AWESOME!

side note love your pic!
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    What a wonderful turn of events!
  • Options
    WOW! What a great story, thanks for sharing!!!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards