New Hampshire

How do you know when it's "the dress"

Hi Ladies,

Happy holidays to everyone!  Esp the "first christmas together" crowd.

So I'm down to 2 dresses that I really like, both are very simliar.  My problem is however, that of the 4 or 5 shops I've visted and the minimum of 25 dresses I've tried on, I don't get "the feeling" for any of them.  When I was looking for my engagment ring I literally "wooed" in the store because it was so beautiful it made my knees weak.

The good news is however, the first dress I tried on at one shop with my mom that we both really liked I keep comparing every other dress I try on too.  Even when I hit the last shop this past weekend with my BM's the woman at the store had to take out a pic of the other dress I already liked, to compare the one I had on.

So does this mean that it is indeed the dress, I'm just reacting differently?  Also, how did you know that it was your dress?

Thank you!

Re: How do you know when it's "the dress"

• Starfish724Starfish724 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy holidays!

Right before I found "the dress" I had narrowed my search down to 2 dresses. Both were rather different though and I just couldn't decide. I sent pictures to my bridesmaids to get their opinions, asked my mom and even my dad. I loved both of them and just couldn't pick one. My sister convinced me to go back and try on a few more. I knew I had found "the dress" when I stopped wondering if it was "the dress." It was actually a dress I had tried on twice before but completely overlooked because I was so focused on the original 2 contenders. My dress is the one that I felt most comfortable in. I actually spent over half an hour wearing it around the shop talking to the owner. I didn't want to take it off.

Go with your instincts and good luck!
  • mrsoconntobemrsoconntobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi,
    Well I think it is difficult and can get very confusing, because it is a big decision and there are so many choices. I never got the "This is it" feeling with my dress and felt frusterated because every saleswoman told me I would.

I ended up getting my dress at Mary & Tux in Nashua NH. I had also narrowed down my search to two dresses. The one I ended up choosing was not the dress I envisioned going into my dress hunt with, but it shaped and flatered my body the best and it was the right price. I bought it a month ago and now that all the other choices are out of my mind, I can't wait to put my dress on.

The other thing that was really helpful was the shop and saleswoman I worked with. Her name is Polly and if you go there you should make an appointment with her. She brought out a bouquet, jewelery, etc which when put altogether really helped me make my decision.

I was given $25 coupons to hand out to other brides. If you are interested in going there I can send one to you. I feel completely confident in my choice and confident that Mary & Tux will get my dress in perfectly!

• edited December 2011
    My dress was the first one I tried on.  I went into the shop with that style in mind.  I knew it was "the one" because I couldn't stop looking at myself in it, and tried it on 3 more times after just to be sure.  When they added a veil to the look, I cried.  There was no turning back after that.  My MOH wouldn't let me leave the store without it, she could tell it was the one, too.  I took it home with me that day.
    Not everyone has that "ah hah" moment, but just be sure that you're not settling too soon.  Keep an open mind, most girls say "the one" wasn't what they imagined it would be.
  • BlldandiBlldandi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was feeling that same frustrated, not getting the this is it moment myself.   I went to 2 shops and tried on maybe 30 dresses before I found the one.  If you really are hoping for that feeling, keep trying, but I don't think every girl gets it.  My best friend didn't but she still looked amazing and was so happy on her wedding day.  I second the rec for Polly at Marry & Tux, it's where I found mine too, she was terrif!  Good Luck, and don't let it get you down. 
  • edited December 2011
    Well, when I was trying on dresses, my mom had me in this big, beautiful expensive ballgown that I liked, but would have felt guilty about it if she had bought it for me.  Overall, I think I was just feeling uncomfortable. 

The next dress I tried on, which was more than half the price, I fell in love with.  Everyone I was with said that when I came out in it, my face lit up.  And that's how we knew it was "the one."  I was more comfortable in the dress and it was much more budget friendly.

In your case, since you aren't getting that feeling, but you're comparing everything to that first dress, it sounds like that's the one.  Do yourself one favor no matter what dress you choose.  Once you buy your dress, don't look anymore.  You'll only end up driving yourself nuts!  Good luck!
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • edited December 2011
    I actually cried when I found "the dress" but mainly due to the price tag :-)

Seriously - unless you're in some big rush, keep looking and don't be afraid to try something different. I got swept up in the whole "need to find a strapless dress" thing and kept trying on all sorts of amazing strapless things but none of them felt quite right

I'm not huge - maybe a size 6 but the "girls" are fairly decent sized and it finally hit me. I wouldn't go out for dinner in a strapless tip so why was I planning on spending a whole day in one. 

I tried on one dress with a sort of balconette (squareish) neckline with thin straps (Jenny Lee) and just knew. Of course it was silk lined, blah blah blah and cost maybe 3x what I'd been looking at but even my Mom was like "that's it"

Good luck!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh - that would be strapless top not tip ;-) Darn spell check
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards