Getting in Shape
Options

Hitting a big plateau HELP!!

Ugh!! I have been dieting since I got engaged right before Christmas.  I lost about 18 lbs. in the last 2 mos. but then it all stopped!  Even eating as little as 800 calories a day isn't making a difference in my weight loss.  I've heard that eating too little can really make it hard to loose.  Any suggestions on getting the weight loss happening again??

Re: Hitting a big plateau HELP!!

• Options
    800 is WAY TOO LOW.  Go eat a cheesburger!

It's always easier in the beginning, and if you're anywhere near your goal, then things do start too get much more difficult.  What is your workout routine?  If you're working out, you probably need to be closer to 1400-1600 calories (yes, for weightloss!)  Your body won't burn a single ounce if you're in starvation mode, which is most likely the case.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    What Lobsters said... she is right.  Your body is starving so it decided not to burn anything else.  Try using spark people or my fitness pal to get a handle on your intake.  Make sure you get some protein with every meal and every snack so that you stay fuller longer.  Don't cut carbs, but swap out highly refined and processed carbs for whole grains.

Also, if you aren't working out, definitely give it a shot.  Weight lifting and resistance training will increase your lean muscle mass and allow your body to burn calories more effectively even when resting.  Interval training gives your metabolism a big boost as well. 
  • Options
    I agree, you need more calories.  I would suggest a carb free week and then carbs in moderation on the weekend.  Having a protein rich diet and portion control.  Also, you need to work out.  I did a major work out too, 90 minutes a day to really loose weight.  Good luck to you.
  • Options
    How much more time do you have and how much more do you want to lose? Like the PPs said... 800 is definitely too low. If you're weighing in each week, have a higher calorie day at the beginning of your week (maybe the 1600) and then keep it between 1200 and 1500 the other days. Working out will definitely help. Depending on what you're doing now, it may not even need to be too taxing... A 30 minute walk every day (briskly) will help. Strength training will also boost your metabolism. Do a google search for The Wendie Plan. It was a plan started by a Weight Watchers member where she ate more WW points at least three days before her weekly weigh-in to boost the weight loss.

Good luck!
  • Options
    You should only go as low as 800 calories or less if you are under a doctor's supervision. Please be careful!
    Two Drifters Off To See The World...
  • Options
    800 calories is ridiculous.

I was having trouble losing weight for ages until i realized (thanks to ladies on here and talking to my doctor) that i really wasn't eating enough to lose weight.  My body had shut down weight loss in an effort to conserve due to starvation.

You should figure out your BMR by going here and using this calculator:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Then take that number and use the Harris Benedict equation to figure the amount of calories you need daily to maintain your weight:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Once you have that number you can calculate the # of calories (over 1200) that you need to lose weight.  3500 calories is about a pound so typically people do a deficit of 500 calories.

Also, make sure the calories you eat count nutritionally.  Lots of greens, lean protein, healthy fats, and water..water..water.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    When you are on a diet I keep hearing over and over again even by Dr. Oz that you need to have a "cheat day" or at the very least one "cheat meal" which is what I do. This will get you those extra calories to burn throughout the week. So if there is a food you miss eating plan ahead and pick one meal you are going to use as your "cheat meal".  Also, I 100% agree with lifting weights like the other ladies said. But to add to that you should do your lifting BEFORE your cardio. This way you burn more calories during cardio. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards