Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

returned for more postage - anyone else??

We mailed 82 invites this past Sunday.  I've heard from 9 local people that received it (includes our invite).  My mother just got 2 local invites back for more postage.  I am just sick.  Wonder what happened?  Anyone else have this?  They were 1.7 ounces with reply card/envelope, envelope, and accommodations card, I saw myself on the postage scale.  I was told it is 0.65 for ~2 ounces, + 0.20 since they were irregularly sized, and every invite had w 0.45 stamps on them = 0.90 and thus even 5 cents more than required

Do you suspect more will come, or was just these two?  Will we be flooded w/ out of town invites later in the week?

I am just sick about this.

Re: returned for more postage - anyone else??

• Options
    I would take one of the returned to the post office and ask for a manager to double check
  • Options
    I would double check with someone at the post office. 

The thickness might have something to do with it - did anyone at the PO check to see if the invites were thin enough to get through their machines? Perhaps that was a problem for some that had to go through machines at multiple post offices. 
  • Options
    Sometimes, it isn't the weight. It is the rigidity of the envelope.  If the envelope is too stiff or rigid, they will charge you an extra fee for that.  When we took our invitations to the post office, I had the clerk do the "bend test" to make sure it would bend and go through the metering machines without any issues.  If they are too rigid, the post office charges extra to "hand cancel" them.
  • Options
    Ok, good to know.  We were not told about bending, but yes, I'd imagine they are rigid as can be.  It is just weird that most went, but only 2 returned.  Waiting to hear from parents if more were returned today.  I know 1 arrived to East Coast to fiance's family so that's good to hear.  Thanks for the input.  Hopefully won't be too many more, if that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_returned-for-more-postage-anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:9b5be076-98bc-4cd7-a6de-c1aeabecc877Post:57d06de2-6a5b-4cb0-a1e2-0c74ed5135c9">Re: returned for more postage - anyone else??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, good to know.  We were not told about bending, but yes, I'd imagine they are rigid as can be.  It is just weird that most went, but only 2 returned.  Waiting to hear from parents if more were returned today.  I know 1 arrived to East Coast to fiance's family so that's good to hear.  Thanks for the input.  Hopefully won't be too many more, if that.
    Posted by amsdallasbride[/QUOTE]

I think sometimes you just get lucky.  But other times, the invitation will end up at the recipients local post office and it won't pass an employees rigidity test at that PO.  But, maybe my post office employee doesn't give a crap.   It's just a matter if the particular employee catches it or not.

Good luck!  Hope the rest went through.
  • Options
    I had one clerk quote me $1.10 and another 65¢. I went to another PO and they quoted 65¢ as well. So I went back to my local PO and they let me hand cancel them myself and I used the 65¢ stamp. I only had one return and that was a bad address.
    planning

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards