Wedding Woes
Options

Swindled on the Ring

My FI is from Jordan. His family went on vacation to Dubai and as a wedding gift bought me a beautiful set with a big setting, and like 5 rectangular stones on either side (band is a twin minus the big setting). High quality white gold with a lower quality diamond. They paid in local currency but it equates to $3,700.

I got them sized and appraised today. Worth $100-150. Sterling silver with foil backed glass. They didn't get an appraisal before sending them here. :(

I still like the rings. My FI says we're getting me good ones, my choice, whatever I want regardless of price. His dad is going to explode when we tell him. I feel so bad :(

Re: Swindled on the Ring

• Options
    I wouldn't tell him.
  • Options
    I understand your frustration... can you go to a custom jeweler and get something similar since this was what your FI wanted for you??
  • Options
    My engagment ring was bought at a reputable jewelers here in my (small) town. We were told it was platinum bonded to sterling (better than plated) and lab grown diamonds (not cubic zirc.). We get it back from sizing, Iwore it 2 days and the band snapped along the weld. We could see the raw cut beneath, so they had just surface tacked it together. Then we found out it was all sterling silver, and cubic zirconia. Worth about $30CA. We paid WELL over.

Got our $$ back and are now awaiting loose stones from his step-mom, and I have my mom's solitaire, and we're going to just have one made out of our own stones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah. We're going this weekend to probably get a trio so all the rings match.

His family paid for it. They live in the middle east and can't take it back to Dubai for some time. His dad thought we were lying but apparently this is relatively typical. He takes people at their word. We just hope he can get his money back. He paid $3400 more than it's worth.

I considered having a replica made, too. We're going to compare the costs on all of it since we'll be buying the new ones ourselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards