Wisconsin
Options

heartbroke

My FI and I mutually decided we were going to get married, and we are going to get married in Jan, so it is a rather short engagement. We are both very happy and excited.

I went online and picked out a ring at Helzberg diamonds. I wanted something small, because I teach horseback riding lessons, and i didn't want it to fall off or knock stones loose, so I picked a pretty little 1/4 ct. white gold. It is VERY simple. and little but I JUST LOVE IT.

My FI asked my father on Sunday,and my dad gave his blessing and my father must have told my mother.

This morning I came home and my mother is tapping her foot, and all pissed off, and I have no idea what is wrong. I asked, and she said she did not sleep, so I asked why...

She said, Because of you. and my jaw dropped, and I asked what now....

She said she was pissed off that we only spent $200 on  my ring, and she proceeded to lecture me for about 20 minutes, on how my father would have lent my FI money, and how I will hate the ring, and always look at it in the years to come, and have a distain for it.

And later in the conversation she tells me she is happy for me and my FI is great... BUT she has not even seen the ring, they are just giving me a hard time because he did not spend a lot of money on it. He wanted to but I wanted to have something small and I would rather spend the money on the wedding.

But I am absolutely crushed, it hurt my feelings so bad, 1st that my mom didn't even wait until I had the ring, and for me to tell her 2nd that she cared s little about me and my feelings that instead of congratulating me, she criticizes me. Now I am afraid that I will always look at my ring and think of my mother and what she said, instead of when the man of my dreams told me he wants to spend the rest of his life with me..

Just looking for support and to see if anyone thinks I am blowing this out of proportion.

Thanks
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: heartbroke

• Options
    maggyruthmaggyruth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry this happened to you.

I personally think your mother is out of line.  Your and your FI's finances are YOUR business, NOT hers.

Know that your ring was picked with love, and that you will love it because it comes from the man you plan to marry.  The amount spent on it should not matter in the least. 

Bad form, mom, bad form.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear that your mom reacted that way.  It in no way matters how much money was spent on the ring.  If you love it and it is everything that you wanted that is all that matters.  You shouldn't feel like you have to spend a certain amount of money on it.  You and your fiancee should just be happy and let your mom get over this issue.  It is not her ring, it is yours. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am sorry too that this happened to you. I agree with the previous PP. It does not matter how much FI spent on the ring. It's the love that goes behind it!

As for your mother....ah yes, the overbearing mother! I have one too :o)  I have been given an earful about my "tacky" wedding theme and how I "have" to wear a veil. At first I was hurt. I would tell her bluntly "I don't want a veil". That didn't seem to work but I kept repeating and finally she gave up. As for the wedding theme....she kept saying how tacky it is. I repeated to her numerous times "are you paying for this?" her response would always be "no" and i would reply "well I guess this convo is over". Unfortunately, you have to develop a thick skin and stand your ground. That's the only thing that I found that works. HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is important that you love your ring and nothing else! The ring is a symbol of the joining of a man and a woman as husband and wife. It souldn't be a symbol of status anyway.

Moms get crazy sometimes! She had her day- you enjoy yours!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the support... I love it, it looks beautiful! I am so happy, and it doesnt bother me now that I wear, it, I told her to mind her own bussiness, and my father said it was lovely, so that is good enough for me!

Thank you again!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LaLiLuLaLiLu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kityjane2 you aren't alone! I'm also a bride to be with a less expensive engagement ring. When my mom saw mine she said "well I have a bigger diamond I can give to you for another ring". Well I don't WANT a different ring, my fiance picked this out himself and we didn't go into debt over it! That's all that matters, kudos to you and your guy. Don't even pay attention to what anyone else thinks :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As a bride-to-be in the same vote, I totally sympathize.  It isn't the ring that matters - it's the love, meaning, and memories behind it.  Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry that happened to you! My mom can really make me feel like crap, but she didn't pull this one. :( I hope that you can remember that it's YOUR ring and that you love it, regardless of what your mom says.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow. If that were my mom, I wouldn't have taken it. My ring only cost about $250 and I adore it! The diamond is a bit small, but in the future, we can always change it out if we want. I still love the ring. In fact, it's the one I loved and he said he couldn't find anything that had similar features that he thought I would've liked better. Fortunately, my family is all for a great deal and not very materialistic. My mother's ring is giant and that's just not my style. You're mom was way out of line and I don't blame you for being upset. I would talk to her about it...it may be the only thing that'll make you feel better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards