Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Catering battle... I need your advice!!!

I need your opinions!
  We are trying to plan our menu, and we're not sure if our caterer is trying to take advantage of us (since we have to use them b/c they partner with our venue).  After looking over their menu options, we liked the idea of doing heavy hor d'oeurves because it gives us more options and a more exciting menu than just beef or chicken.
  This is what our menu looks like:
-Lamb carving station, including cheese fondue and rolls
-Caesar salad
Hor Do'oeurves include:
-Asian smoked Salmon rolls
-Chicken skewers
-Stuffed mushroom caps (with crab and artichoke)
-Fingerling potatoes
-Thai shrimp rolls (like a salad roll)

Our caterer is telling us we need to have at least 12 appetizer options on top of our carving station, fondue, rolls, and salad (which will end up costing us $60.00 per person instead of our original budget of $45 per person).   We were planning on buying multiple trays of our 5 hor d'oeuvres, but she doesn't think this will work.  On top of all this, she is now charging us by "bite per person" instead of "hor d'oeuvre pieces per person."  She is getting kind of pushy.
  Does the menu above sound like enough food to fill up your plate?  It will be served in a buffet line. Basically, it will be about 7 hor d'oeuvres per person plus lamb, fondue, ceasar salad, and rolls.  Please let me know what you think!

Re: Catering battle... I need your advice!!!

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many people are going to be at your wedding?  I would definitely have more than what you have now no matter the number simply because I don't think you have enough variety. 

Our caterer didn't have a set number of pieces; he and his team just kept making more of whatever was running low.  We didn't have a carving station, just heavy appetizers for 30 guests.  Costs are going to vary by region but ours was $22.50 per person.

What we served was:

prior to ceremony and with the signature Autumn Eve cocktail:
    bruschetta

cheese, crackers and berries

after ceremony:
    bread and herbed butter

mini salads with ceasar or vinaigrette dressing served on a large black tortilla shell

carrots and cucumbers with cream pesto sauce

vegetable spring rolls

granny smith apple & brie in puff pastry

herbed sausage stuffed mushrooms

bacon wrapped scallops

mini beef wellingtons

sesame beef skewers with soy dipping sauce

chicken satay with spicy peanut dipping sauce
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It does sound like she is getting a bit pushy... although, I would definitely be open to what she says, as she has done this many times before. Is it possible to talk to another bride that got married at the venue to see how she did it? The only thing I am thinking is maybe you could add one other appetizer that is a bit heavier, mini beef wellington, sliders? I think that the other options could be a bit light.
  • Options
    JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about going back to the dinner option?  We didn't like the menu options and spoke with our coordinator.  She worked with the chef and now we have a custom menu that we are happy with. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What does "bite per person" even mean?  I've never heard that before, but maybe I'm just clueless about catering (yay package deal at my venue).
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a contract that says what she can charge you?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My only problem is that you will have a lamb carving station.  Lamb.  Really?  They are just babies!
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure about the "bite per person", or the number of appetizers you need per person. However, I will tell you what a caterer, as well as my Mom (who used to cater) told me: The reason appetizers are so expensive is the TIME it takes to put them together. Think about it:

-Asian smoked Salmon rolls - someone has to take the time to cut & roll them
    -Chicken skewers someone has to take the time to cut the chicken into pieces, put them on the skewers, then cook them
    -Stuffed mushroom caps (with crab and artichoke) have to be washed, the stems cut from them, the stuffing mixed, then placed in each one, then cooked
    -Thai shrimp rolls (like a salad roll) Someone has to make each one separately and cook them

If any of the above have sauces, those have to be made separately and placed in bowls.

See what I mean? I'm a real foodie, and I actually went into several caterers (yes, I can choose my own, unlike you) and explained EXACTLY what food items I wanted on my buffet. I started with their standard buffet options, added sauces or ingredients I love to the meats, salads, potatoes and veggies. They had NO problem working with me, and I've met with 4 caterers so far.

Is it more boring than a lot of fancy appetizers? Yes, it is. But, you have a fairly generous budget of $45 per person (I'm pricing menus around $20 per person), and should be able to get some "give and take" from the caterer.

How about a couple of carving stations, each one serving half the guests you expect (in other words, if you expect 100 people, each carving station has enough to serve 50), plus a more exciting buffet? Trust me, times are tough, and *most* vendors are willing to negotiate a little bit and will alter menu items to fit your desires.

Good luck. I hope you are able to work this out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sounds like plenty to me,
  • Options
    acimoszkoacimoszko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are doing the same concept and our caterer is suggesting a 17 piece appetizer with different stations, then we are following with a plated dinner salad, main and dessert. This was suggested by our caterer to save money but turns out its going to cost us 75euros per person!!! The last thing you want to worry about it not having enough food and having your guests feel unsatisfied. I think in the end it works out to costing the same. Remember though this is your wedding and you have the final say. good luck :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards