Maine

Costal Venues

Hi Everyone,
I am recently engaged and my FI and I are planning a July 7, 2012 wedding somewhere on the coast of Maine. We are having a problem finding a venue that will be a good location for both of our families. I'm from northern maine and my FI is from Augusta. We know both of our families will have to travel but, we don't want my family to have to travel 5 hours to southern maine. We are thinking that would prevent a lot of guest from being able to attend. Do you have any suggestions for coastal venues, in the bar harbor region. (Not sure I would like Bar Harbor due to the tourist and it's super expensive!) But, I would like to find something in the surrounding area. I live in Bangor, but I am not very familiar with the coast. Please help :)

Re: Costal Venues

• ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look at state parks, of if you are willing to look at Bar Harbor check out Acadia. It requires a little more planning on your part, but you can get a gorgeous ocean side venue for free, or a meager amount. 

I would also look around the Camden/Rockport, Belfast, Searsport, and Bucksport. With the exception of Camden/Rockport, the other towns I suggested are oceanside but don't seem to get the same amount of tourist traffic as other areas.

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • LHB2011LHB2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How big is your wedding?
    I'm getting married at Ducktrap Retreat (www.ducktrapretreat.com) in Lincolnville- 10 min. North of Camden.  You could also check out High Mountain Hall in Camden if you have 100 guests or less.  Samoset Resort is supposed to be beautiful, it's in Rockland.  Camden Harbor Inn (Camden) and the Inn at Ocean's Edge (Lincolnville) are pretty much on the water, but they are pricey and in July I'm pretty sure both would require buy outs of the hotel rooms.  If you want cheap/rustic, you could look at the Camden Snow Bowl - they rent out for weddings in the summertime. Oh and Point Lookout on Ducktrap Mountain in Lincolnville.  I've also hear good stuff about Whitehall Inn in Camden.

Can you tell I honed my google skills when I was looking for a place to get married :-D Let me know if you have questions about any of these places.  We considered them all so I have some info on each.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • HE&MEHE&ME member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Samoset sounds like an ideal location for you.  You might want to check them out. Good luck.
  • scoviljscovilj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are looking at about 200 guests. I have looked into the samoset but, that seems very pricey for what we have for a budget. We have a budget of $10,000. We have taken care of the music, my FI uncle is in a band and said he would play for only $200. I am looking to do a more semi formal wedding with a bbq for the reception, so I was thinking of trying to find a cheaper venue.
  • LHB2011LHB2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely look at the Camden Snow Bowl then - I think the rental for the space is only about $400 - $500, and you would probably not need much in the way of decoration with the surroundings.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • scoviljscovilj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input I am def going to look into it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards