February 2014 Weddings

Getting Married in Winter

Hi everyone!

I'm getting married February 8, 2014 and am SO excited!  However, I've gotten a bit of negative feedback for choosing a date in winter.  We live in Pittsburgh and the weather can be pretty unforgiving sometimes. 
My FI and I intentionally chose a winter date for several reasons and I really don't see why it's a big deal.  Has anyone else had this issue with their friends or families?

Re: Getting Married in Winter

• My fiance and I chose February 22, 2014. We also had very specific reasons for the date that we chose, but had a few people question us as well. We live in New Orleans, and Louisiana is just all over the place. We just decided, if they didnt like it, they dont have to come!! I know it sounds harsh, but it is YOUR day, and you have your reasons, and that is 100% all that matters!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_february-2014-weddings_getting-married-in-winter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:fc414773-c821-4ecd-ae52-1b1ca58c9d96Discussion:39695e69-ec6a-4043-aa6e-b03095d5220cPost:e5df77f2-ab3a-4fd3-a200-ea292624e88f">Re: Getting Married in Winter</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I chose February 22, 2014. We also had very specific reasons for the date that we chose, but had a few people question us as well. We live in New Orleans, and Louisiana is just all over the place. We just decided, if they didnt like it, they dont have to come!! I know it sounds harsh, but it is YOUR day, and you have your reasons, and that is 100% all that matters!!!
    Posted by cfreesquared[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I needed to hear!  Thanks!
  • Ashpash415Ashpash415 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2012
    Same here. We chose Feb. 14 and we live in Ohio...so there will probably be a blizzard that day..but like you both said...if people have a problem with it, then they don't need to come :)
  • Winter can be very glamourous to get married in. You can do an all white theme with snow and silver.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • I've gotten that a little, too.  My date is 2/22 and live in Northeast Ohio, and I actually am really hoping for a snowy day!!  It makes for some really pretty pictures :) and I love the snow.  When people make negetive comments, I just own it, tell them how excited I am and how much I love the winter and that I hope it snows on my day. 

I think its really rude to complain to the bride/groom about their date; I've sweated through outdoor weddings on 95 degree summer days, which was awful, but I would NEVER complain to the bride about it! (haha a little behind her back, yes, but you'll have that.) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards