Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Writing Our Own Ceremony

My fiance and I are writing our own ceremony (it's being performed by my uncle, who is getting ordained online). So far, this is our rough outline of the ceremony:

"Perpetuum Mobile" by Penguin Cafe Orchestra as guests sit
Groom and groomsmen enter stage (it's at a theater)
Bridal party and bride enter to "Stolen" by Dashboard Confessional
Opening statements by the uncle
Reading by a bridesmaid
Reading by a groomsmen
Ceremony script
vows and handfasting by wedding party
Married!

I'm wondering if there's anything that specifically happened in any of your wedding ceremonies that really stands out to you, something that you wouldn't have expected, but your wedding was made yours because of it, if you know what I mean? Basically, what was the most unexpected surprise of your ceremony?

Re: Writing Our Own Ceremony

• Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2012
    We had a community "I Do".  We are really focused on building community with our friends and neighbors, in general, so this was important to us. 

Our officiant, who is also a very good friend, had everyone stand at the beginning of the ceremony, and she said:

As familes and friends, we bear a responsibility to help uphold Christina and G in honoring and loving each other, and to always stand beside them, to offer our love, support and encouragement and our pledge to help them remember the promises they make here today." 

"If you agree to this, please say "we do". 

the entire 125 people shouted WE DO !!!!!!!

It was an awesome feeling.
  • Options
    We recited our vows together instead of him repeating first and then me repeating. I had been to a friends wedding where they did this, and I loved it so much that I stole it, heh. :) I've never been a big fan of the traditional vows, the "do you take this man," etc., and so we wrote ours together and saying them together was really powerful for us.

A mutal friend of ours got ordained to perform our ceremony. It was really important to us to have someone we knew perform the ceremony, and I'm so glad we stuck to our guns, because it really was amazing.

We also did a "toast to love" unity ceremony, where we mixed a cocktail, each ingredient representing something different (one of which represented our friends and family supporting us, which was important to us). It was really "us," in that the cocktail was a mix of his favorite and my favorite, and we met in a bar so it was fitting in that way too. Some people raised an eyebrow at me when I described this, but we got a lot of compliments on it. I think maybe people pictured our officiant with a shaker and strainer, and we used a very nice glass decanter and small glass bottles, it was really classy looking. :)

Something that happened that wasn't supposed to, but was very "me," was that I put his ring on the wrong hand. After he put mine on, I grabbed his hand to take off the ring so I could put it on the correct hand. Everyone got a good chuckle out of that, and it's one of my favorite parts of the video. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_writing-our-own-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:cf518013-92c7-43e1-953d-b10d26e04a46Post:1634d714-c007-4c84-add8-de1d7ce2ba93">Writing Our Own Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are writing our own ceremony (it's being performed by my uncle, who is getting ordained online). So far, this is our rough outline of the ceremony: "Perpetuum Mobile" by Penguin Cafe Orchestra as guests sit Groom and groomsmen enter stage (it's at a theater) Bridal party and bride enter to "Stolen" by Dashboard Confessional Opening statements by the uncle Reading by a bridesmaid Reading by a groomsmen Ceremony script vows and handfasting by wedding party Married! I'm wondering if there's anything that specifically happened in any of your wedding ceremonies that really stands out to you, something that you wouldn't have expected, but your wedding was made yours because of it, if you know what I mean? Basically, what was the most unexpected surprise of your ceremony?
    Posted by ezequalsmc[/QUOTE]

<div>Great song choices.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you need help with outlines or examples of readings...I saw this from another post and found it helpful</div><div>
    </div><div><font face="arial, sans-serif" size="2" color="#222222"><span style="line-height:normal;"><a href="http://www.cloud9marriages.com/uploads/yourcompleteweddingceremonyebook.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://www.cloud9marriages.com/uploads/yourcompleteweddingceremonyebook.pdf</a></span></font></div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards