South Asian Weddings
Options

Destination Wedding

More and more the idea of getting engaged on some beautiful Island or beach is sticking to us. Have any of you had or seen a destination wedding for Indians? We thought we could have a huge reception overseas in London and a huge engagement party here and just enjoy a small family and close friends wedding somewhere far away. How do-able is this really for a Hindu wedding?

Re: Destination Wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's doable anywhere. You just need to find a venue that is familiar with it and just stay on top of things!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's possible, like DFW said. You might have to fly a few of your vendors out there, etc. but if you want something small and initmate, I see no problem with it! I think there was a knottie who used to be on here who got married in Jamaica, so it's possible!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely think it is do-able and agree with PP.  Its easier when you pick a destination that has venues experienced with Indian weddings or a destination that has Indian vendors around.  I'm kind of planning a destination wedding - We live in New York and are planning to get married in Miami, FL.  It is challenging at times when you can't meet all the vendors in person.  But they are all familiar with Indian weddings, which makes it easier.
  • Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We figure if we have a beach wedding of some sort we don't need to dish out the money for splashy decor ;) I think that's what's sold my Mom on the idea of really looking into it!
  • Options
    ssarangissarangi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ya, I agree, I think its totally doable.  We have a convo about this recently and someone suggested a resort in Jamaica that is familiar with Indian weddings and I believe she also said they have an indian chef! I don't remember what it was called, but if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find it! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I really like the idea.  The one problem with DWs (and why we didn't have one) is that some people just won't be able to go.  That can include elderly relatives or friends with less money, and those also might be the people you really want there (again, that was our situation).  My childhood friend just had one in Mexico, and we couldn't go because of my family situation and DH would need a visa.

Just something to keep in mind.  I love the idea of a wedding on a quiet beach, and I think a lot of places will accommodate any religion/culture.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards