Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Red Lion Inn - Cohasset

Any recent experiences? A lot of the posts on here are from a few years ago and are mixed as far as service/dealing with management etc.   Loved the venue a lot and is near home but obviously would like to know what others experienced recently before making a decision. Thanks in Advance!

Re: Red Lion Inn - Cohasset

• Options
    I went to a wedding here and it was by far, my favorite wedding that I have ever been to!  It was so beautiful!  I loved how they had the cocktails hour/appetizers on the upper level.  We looked into having ours here, but we wanted to use a specific caterer.

Good luck!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We looked there and LOVED it. I wish it had fallen in our budget.

It was something crazy like a minimum of $23K when all was said and done for a Saturday, in the off season (that's just venue, food, etc, NOTHING else).
  • Options
    yeah the minimums are ridiculous for Saturdays so we are considering Thursday or Sunday as the minimums for those days are lower and meet our budget better. I could never afford their Saturday prices! 
  • Options
    We looked there too and liked it a lot. The main reason we didn't go with it is the inn is pretty pricey and we'll have a lot of traveling guests that will need accommodations. We really liked the barn and the after party room but thought the ceremony spot outside was just ok. As PPs said the minimum is pretty high for the peak season.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are having our wedding reception at the Red Lion Inn in October 2013. We also chose a Sunday (Columbus day weekend) as the minimums for a Saturday are so high. We are working with Helena and she has been great so far. I've emailed her often and she replies very quickly. She did tell us that a few years ago she was out with a back injury and there were two coordinators hired that were inexperienced and they had a lot of issues and bad reviews. I know a few others who have been married there recently and have had a great experience! The venue is beautiful! I have also heard that the innkeeper there is a mess and the price of a room is pricey so we are going to suggest our guests stay at a different hotel (still TBD).
  • Options
    Yeah Helena has been very great to work with so far and told us the same thing regarding a few years ago & the bad reviews. If we end up there, we are going to suggest our guests stay at the Nantasket Beach Resort in Hull. It's only 4 miles away and close to our house (we live in Hull as well) so for anyone that stays we figure they can come hang out the next day at the house and hit up the beach etc. There aren't a ton of other options in the area that are affordable - I think the next closest hotels are the Holiday Inn and BW in Rockland. 
  • Options
    I've never been to a wedding there myself, but everyone that I know personally who has gone to a wedding there said it was awful.  There was no AC or maybe it wasn't working during summer weddings.  There are two levels so if you have a big wedding guests are separated.  The coordinators have been awful, but I guess that's explained by the above posts.  Honestly, I wouldn't go there with everything I've heard. 

My h and I had our wedding ceremony at Sandy Beach in Cohasset and our reception at the Atlantica in Cohasset (very close to the Red Lion) and it was phenomenal.  People still rave about our wedding.  I would recommend checking it out.  We had room blocks at the Cohasset Harbor Inn (right next to the Atlantica) and also at the Nantasket Beach Resort. 
  • Options
    I'm getting married there in September and so far they have been great to work with,

When we first started looking there, I saw all of the bad reviews as well, but after meeting with Elena twice, I had confidence that they could pull it off. She also gave me contact information for brides from the past year and I emailed with them a couple of times and they all gave glowing reviews. When I told Elena about our concerns, the general manager called me and my parents in a matter of minutes to talk about our concerns.

I have found that you need to be a little forceful with them, if there is something you want - stick to it and tell them that this is how it will be.

We're having our guests stay at the Holiday Inn in Rockland since the inn part of it is so expensive (they just upped their prices AGAIN). The Holiday Inn has been awesome to work with and we are renting school busses for really cheap to bring people from the holiday inn to the red lion.

I popped in to the Red Lion last week to see the wedding they were setting up for --and the barn did have full air conditioning (it was almost too cold - but there was no one there yet). There were a few fly's flying around (gross) but i'm sure they would be taken care of before everything started.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
  • Options
    Thanks SoxChick! The day we toured it I also thought it seemed chilly in there but there was nothing going on (it was a Monday) so I figured once you put people in there the temp would even out.  Would rather have people chilly than hot though. Elena so far has been really great to work with as far as addressing the concerns we've brought up to her so I'm feeling confident that everything should work out.

Where did you rent your school busses from? We were debating between guests staying in Nantasket (since we live there and could spend time with them the next day) or in Rockland but were hesitant on spending the money on transportation but the school bus thing isn't a bad idea!
  • Options
    We looked into Nantasket and I forget the exact reason why we decided not to have people stay there (I feel like maybe it was a 2 night minimum but I could be wrong). Rockland has been great - we're getting rooms for $130 a night.

We're getting the school busses through the town of Cohasset - my dad has been in charge of it so I don't know the exact prices, but it is extremely reasonable and a lot cheaper than other shuttle options.  I know my dad was recently having a little trouble getting in touch with them, but probably since it is summertime.

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    I'm having my wedding there this february, they actually gave me a list of nearby hotels and the distance. Just ask for it
  • Options
    My cousin got married there because we have family from China and she wanted a coastal New England style venue. The one thing I remember is that the food took so long to get to everyone. It just seemed like they did not have enough waitstaff.
  • Options
    HiIm getting married there in October, just wondering if you were doing an indoor or outdoor ceremony?
  • Options
    Im getting married there this October, they have been great but I just today found out that no music is allowed at outdoor ceremonys because they have had several noise violations. This is unfortunate because who wants to walk down the aisle with no music so I guess we're moving the ceremony indoors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards