Registry and Gift Forum

Wrong to Buy Ourselves A Registry Item

I am sure this might be a big no-no but I just got an email this weekend that the bedding we selected is being discontinued and we didn't like anything else at the store.  Would it be wrong for my FI and I to buy the bedding for ourselves?  The wedding is more than three months away and our set will likely be gone before any gift-giving takes place. 
imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Wrong to Buy Ourselves A Registry Item

• Shoot ... I've already bought myself 4 things off of the registry that I HAD to have -- the items were being discontinued and I absolutely LOVED them, and they went on a major sale, so I got them!! :-)  I don't think it's wrong, but just don't go overboard buying up your registry... otherwise the friends/family won't have anything to choose from.  :-)  

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • I would buy it yourself, but remove it from the registry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • buy it. i bought a spoon rest that matches our dishes cuz it went on clearance/
    Anniversary
  • it is fine to do so! we bought our shower curtain off of our registry, because we were moving into our apartment and needed it. then we ended up getting all of our bathroom set (the toothbrush holder, etc) off our registry, and i got them at my bridal shower.

if your bedding is being discontinued, and you really want it, i suggest buying it. there is nothing wrong with buying something you need. our registry also acted as a 'shopping list' of stuff we needed. just make sure it gets removed, as PP said.
  • No issue there just remove it as PP stated, FI and I will use it as a shopping list before and after the wedding if need be as we go along.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • Personally, I wouldn't necesarily remove it totally, just mark it as being purchased.  That way you won't get a different set you have to return and people have something to refer to if they want to match your set to something.  We had the same issue but had to purchase a new one at another store because there wasn't even a picture available.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • If you want it bad enough and it's being discontinued... buy it. Do you want to buy 2 sets (1 for your extra linens) since you didn't like anything else?
  • I would totally buy it if you want it bad enough. Make sure you mark it as fufilled, but go for it if you love it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DH and I bought a few things off our registry before the wedding because we got coupons or some items went on sale. There's nothing wrong with shopping for yourself.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wrong-buy-ourselves-registry-item?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:defa08d6-baa6-459e-9a70-a29a27140c33Post:8105558a-3e8f-4a50-99b6-1f7a76507ded">Re: Wrong to Buy Ourselves A Registry Item</a>:
    [QUOTE]No issue there just remove it as PP stated, FI and I will use it as a shopping list before and after the wedding if need be as we go along.
    Posted by ShakeUpTampa[/QUOTE]

This is what we are doing also. Plus, we registered for some tools at Sears, so for my fiance's birthday I got him something off the registry! I don't know what he needs/wants yet for tools and it was an easy way to get him something I know he wants!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow thanks everyone!  I'll talk to FI about it, and if we do get it, we'll mark it as fulfilled.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wrong-buy-ourselves-registry-item?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:defa08d6-baa6-459e-9a70-a29a27140c33Post:0ffb9c30-a992-4e4e-a327-c53f132c295b">Re: Wrong to Buy Ourselves A Registry Item</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shoot ...<strong> I've already bought myself 4 things off of the registry that I HAD to have</strong> -- the items were being discontinued and I absolutely LOVED them, and they went on a major sale, so I got them!! :-)  I don't think it's wrong, but just don't go overboard buying up your registry... otherwise the friends/family won't have anything to choose from.  :-)  
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]

haha me too.  And we could use dup's of all of them so i left them on the registry.
  • TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    I wouldn't think twice about buying something, especially something that was going to be discontinued, for myself off my registry.  In fact, we've already done it!  Enjoy your bedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • spoonrest has already been purchased - by me.  FI decided that the white kitchen stove would look better with marinara sauce all over it one night....ugh :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Omg.  CherylAnn. My fiance and I just bought our own bedding also from Macys.  We happened to be browsing the home section(we are obsessed with that section now and can't wait to after the wedding to live with each other) and realized they were being discontinued.  They were the only bedding set that we liked because it was a neutral color.  They were marked down plus additional 40% off clearance and we had coupons.  We end out spending around $270 for the entrie set.  Which we saved almost $800 for the set.  We end up buying it and putting it as purchased on the registry.  So with Macys reward program we get 10% back for making a purchase with our macys card and also 5% back because it was off the registry. Plus our wedding is in November and I figured it would not be still there by then.  So just DO IT if you really want it for your home.
  • omg!

i thought i was the only one doing this, i feel less guilty now.  

whatever!   go for it!  and mark it fulfilled but don't remove it, especially if it's a brand that gives you bonus gifts for fulfilling certain amounts (calphalon, analon, cuisinart, henckels, samsonite...).  
  • Do it!  We are moving into a larger place in 4 weeks and I already know I'm going to purchase some of the stuff on our registry because I just can't wait!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wrong-buy-ourselves-registry-item?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:defa08d6-baa6-459e-9a70-a29a27140c33Post:3754321f-0662-4e61-a592-ed05b0e9b2a4">Re: Wrong to Buy Ourselves A Registry Item</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I wouldn't necesarily remove it totally, just mark it as being purchased.  That way you won't get a different set you have to return and people have something to refer to if they want to match your set to something.  We had the same issue but had to purchase a new one at another store because there wasn't even a picture available.
    Posted by jazzybacc[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.

Why would it be wrong to buy yourself something, just because you registered for it?
  • This is one of the big bonuses of registering at the store where FMIL works... as something gets discontinued or discounted, she buys it!  lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 62 Made the cut!
    image 58 Are ready to fly with us image 4 Are missing out! image As of August 14th, everyone has finally made up their minds!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards