Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake Flavor Thoughts

We have a planning meeting with our cake baker on Sunday, I'm pondering flavors and would appreciate some input.  She works out of her home, so she doesn't have a list of cake and filling flavors like a bakery would, and one thing we'll talk about is which flavors we want to have for our tasting.

We'll have a groom's cake and a three-tiered round cake.  The groom's cake is chocolate with peanut butter frosting and chocolate-peanut butter ganache over it.  For the other cake, I had thought of doing one tier in almond or hazelnut with a raspberry filling (or maaaaybe vanilla bean with cherry preserves). 

We're going for a simple, elegant, gently classical Greek look in the decor, including Ionic columns, which FI really likes.  The cake design is intended to look like graduated "slices" of a column, with an Ionic capital and ivy (symbolizing friendship and fidelity) winding up it.  So when I asked what flavors he was interested in for the cake, he said "well, what are columns made of?  Marble!  So it needs to be marble cake!"  So it sounds like at least one tier will be marble!

So my questions are: 
1.)  Is there enough variety with those three flavors?  "Marble" usually means yellow/white and chocolate ... what do "y'all" think of chocolate filling for that tier?  Or is that too much chocolate (I'm not sure that phrase even belongs in the English language, but for the general public)?  Would a cream or plain buttercream filling make for broader appeal?  Should we explore a lemon "marble" tier instead of the yellow/chocolate?
I wasn't planning on having the third tier cut, but FI isn't really crazy about the idea of saving it, so we might be able to use it for a small offering of yet another flavor.

2.)  Any other flavors suggestions for a "marbled" cake?

2.)  We're doing an hors d'ouevres reception (2 pm ceremony) so the cake will play a bigger role than it might with a full dinner and cocktail hour ... is planning two slices per person sound right?  Which flavor would you suggest for the smaller (middle) tier?

Re: Cake Flavor Thoughts

• Options

You don't say how large the groom's cake is. Is it large enough that everyone could get a slice of that as well?

We went with just one flavor, but that was simply our choice. When we had our tasting, the bakery had 4 different options for us to taste. To be honest, they were ALL wonderful, and between myself and my husband, and my 2 kids, we all liked a different flavor combination, LOL. So, we let my husband pick.

According to our baker, yellow cakes (or non-white cakes) are more moist because they have the egg yolks, not just whites. All your options would then be ok.

I love cake, but to me it's all about the frosting. If I had the choices you mentioned, I personally always love lemon cake as an alternative to simple yellow or chocolate cakes. It is refreshing and most people like it. Not sure you can "marble" lemon cake, unless there is a lot of yellow food coloring added to the lemon batter to make it appear different than the vanilla flavor.

A marble layer could be red velvet cake and yellow cake with a red chocolate mousse inside, or vanilla buttercream for a plainer option.

• Options
    Thank you, Sue. 

The groom's cake will be an 11x17 sheet cake (FI is making it), three layers and very rich.  I don't normally consider the typical 1x2 piece in cutting diagrams to be enough (I love me some cake), but this one is rich enough that it would be about right, so we would have ~80 servings from that cake.  If we have 100% attendance plus us, that would be 100 heads (including children), but I think the final count is going to be closer to 80ish if not lower (we're already getting some regrets in), so that should be enough for everyone to have groom's cake if desired.

Frosting is very important to me, too, and we're going with either plain or white chocolate Swiss buttercream (no fondant, no "Crisco-cream") ... a good buttercream was one of my biggest criteria for selecting a baker!

Thank you for the tip on the moistness ... I'll lean more toward the yellow cakes.
  • Options
    Thank you, Stage!  The description of your dark chocolate-raspberry-with-white-chocolate-buttercream has me drooling! 
  • Options
    I think they all sound delicious.  I would be all over that penut butter chocolate cake.  
  • Options
    Thank you, Mrs. G!  The chocolate-peanut butter cake is phenomenal.  I made it for FI last year for the Valentine's dinner I cooked for him (which wound up happening on 2/16 because he took me out for dinner on 2/14 and proposed!).  He took one bite ... and proposed again ... and asked then and there whether he could have it as his groom's cake.  Laughing

Here's a link to the recipe, if you're interested:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/

I <3 Smitten Kitchen ... I got her new cookbook for Christmas, and made her red wine velvet cake for FI, who likes red velvet, but says that they don't usually have much "body" and are kinda disappointing (true ... too often a beautiful color, but not much flavor).  No complaints about that one!
  • Options
    I would consider a non-nut cake for the third flavor, to ensure people with allergies might still be able to eat it.  Still, if so, you'd probably want to alert the server/catering company so they can trade-off the serving knife and avoid cross-contamination.  Coconut cream frosting and coconut cake is fun....or how about lemon poppyseed?  You could swirl a marble by doing lemon mixed with poppyseed/almond?  Those flavors seem like they would  pair well.

I love the Groom's Cake - it sounds like a Reeses! Yum!
  • Options
    Thanks Ella!  At the moment we're thinking of almond-with-raspberry marbling and/or filling and golden vanilla and dark chocolate marble with chocolate ganache filling in addition to the groom's cake (which is like a Reeses ... a rich, dreamy Reeses).

I've been pondering the nut allergy issue, and a question came up during our consultation.  There wouldn't be any actual nuts in the almond tier ... is almond flavoring a risk for those with nut allergies?  Usually it's labelled "imitation almond extract", and the main ingredient is <ahem /> booze.  I just checked my bottle (of flavoring, that is) which is not imitation, and it does list "oil of bitter almond."  It's a fairly common ingredient in a lot of baked goods and buttercream frostings (even if the item isn't specifically "almond"), so I'm wondering.

Anybody know?
  • Options
    Hmmmm ... Google was not my friend on the nut allergy issue.  Oil of almond is out because it can have the nut proteins in it which are usually the allergen.  Imitation almond gets mixed reviews -- some say it's safe, some say it isn't.  Apparently imitation almond can cause allergic reactions for peanut allergies, but it's not clear whether it's also a problem for those with tree nut allergies.

Groan.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavor-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:8e3c5ebb-3519-4750-8de0-d350d6c1bf52Post:2e044738-3965-4c0b-8db6-c2f9da735dcf">Re:Cake Flavor Thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is almost no way to guarantee there is no nut "essence" in nut based flavoring, even imitation. And as a guest, if I had <strong>a but allergy</strong>, I wouldn't go near a cake with nut flavoring even if I was assured there was no actual nut oil in it. You just don't mess around with those kinds of risks.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>Stage, you're wonderful.  With adrenaline (not to mention that lovely hormonal cocktail known as PMS)coursing through my veins from a thread on the E board, this made me literally LOL!!!  I strongly suspect I might have a but(t) allergy.  Thank you for the diagnosis and lightening my day (fortunately no one else is in the office at the moment!).</div><div>
    </div><div>Back on the almond issue --  I agree.  Since imitation extracts are often manufactured on the same equipment, I can see the risk.  We could ask the baker to use only vanilla in the frosting, but cross-contamination from the other tier could potentially still be a risk. </div><div>
    </div><div>I don't <em>know</em> of any nut allergies among our guests, and I or FI know at least 75% of them well enough that I think we would know if there was a severe allergy (we've eaten with them, shared dishes, etc.).  Are those with a severe allergy likely to let us know or should we ask?</div>
  • Options
    Stage, I think it was a stroke of genius:

But(t) allergy -- an allergic reaction triggered by the inappropriate or excessive use of the word "but".  Including, but not limited to:
    -  "But I am the bride ...!"
    -  "But I deserve a PPD, because ..."
    -  "But <given etiquette rule> doesn't apply to me ..."
    -  "But you're not saying what I want to hear!"
    -  "But, but, but, I want ..."
    -  "But this is my thread!"
    -  "I know ... but I'm going to do it this way because I want to."
    - "Yes, I asked, but this is my day!  I'll do what I want the way I want and you can just buTt out!"

More pronounced reactions have been noted when exposed to: people butting heads, people who are behaving like but!heads or who have their heads stuck in their but! on either a temporary or permanent basis.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards