Florida-South Florida
Options

30 minute drive between ceremony and reception venue appropriate?

Hi everyone, We just visited our last venue and fell in love with it for the reception; however, the church we want to marry at is in homestead and the venue for the reception that we love is in doral. It's about a 30 minute drive. Would you say that is inappropriate? I have done a similiar drive for other weddings.

Re: 30 minute drive between ceremony and reception venue appropriate?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally think it's inconvenient. I went to a wedding like that, and a lot of people wound up getting lost between the 2 venues.
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • Options
    Danny&Mel2003Danny&Mel2003 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'd say its your call ... I would def be providing directions in invitations ... I've seen it done before
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Inconvenient but okay! I think it would be easier for YOU (and everyone else) to be at one venue but it's acceptable.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree about the traffic issue - it could easily take them an hour or they could get lost - I think if you can swing a shuttle that would be great. I have been to weddings like this and I think it's kind of annoying but I obviously still go and have had a great time once I'm there - so people may be grumpy temporarily but if you have good food and booze waiting for them it should make up for it
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't see anything wrong with it... I've done it without complaining and I wouldn't expect a shuttle at all. I think i would actually find the shuttle annoying and its crazy for you to provide a shuttle for so many people. I do think that you should consider traffic for your timeline though. The way from Homestead to Doral can easily get jammed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a wedding like that, and it was a llittle inconvenient, but it's fine. People can drive 30 minutes for you to have your dream wedding :)

Just make sure you have enough time between the two for people to safely drive!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its inconsiderate and inconvenient. If you want them to drive 30 minutes I think you should arrange a shuttle to transport them back and forth as a courtesy. 30 mins in Miami can easily turn into 45 minutes to an hour, especially on the weekend. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a bit inconvenient. Is there a way you can just have the ceremony and reception at the same place? 
  • Options
    Krysta6Krysta6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think anyone who is invited to witness your union will drive more than 30 minutes for you. Anyone who won't, you probably don't want them there anyways!
  • Options
    RaquelSRaquelS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's your wedding. If your reception venue is 30 minutes away but it's your dream reception venue, then go for it. You can't make everyone happy. Yes you will have people that aren't going to be thrilled they have to drive 30 minutes away, but it is your day. 

I personally, didn't want to have the drive in between for myself let alone 150+ guests. But that's just me, I want eveything to be as easy as possible on an already hectic day. 

BUT your dream wedding is your dream wedding! Do what you want on your day.

Good luck!
    *So Fla Board February Siggy* My babe and I
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've lived in Miami all my life. Going from Homestead to Doral is not a big deal to me and the friends/family I have. But that's just me. I think it should be fine. Good luck!! We may be confusing you more than helping, talk to your family and see what they think.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I don't know why you guys are talking about traffic from homestead to Doral on a Saturday? I live in homestead and used to work in Doral and still the traffic wasn't bad. I would say 30 minutes is the maximum time it would take if your driving slow and everyone can follow each other. If people don't want to pay tolls they can take Krome which never has traffic. Otherwise, the 826 works since the location is right off of the exit. I could make it easier and marry in the Gables and then drive to Doral for the reception but churches in the Gables are $2000 and require you to use their minister when we live in homestead and have a beautiful church that is charging $750 and allows his dad who is a Pastor to marry us. I must agree with Krysta6, if ppl won't drive 30 mins for us then they probably shouldn't even be invited. I've driven plenty of time between venues for ppl I'm not close to so why wouldn't out immediate family and closest friends do it? The reception venue is offering a free ceremony on site at the reception hall which they split in half but I find that tacky. A church seems more traditional and won't new so much decorating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards