California-San Diego
Options

Wedding in flight path?

Has anyone been to an outdoor wedding directly in a flight path? We are having our ceremony at the Administrative Courtyard (near balboa park) and am worried about the noise. I guess I knew this when I booked but the park was so pretty I ignored it. Do you think it will be a big issue? Or will people just ignore it when the ceremony starts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding in flight path?

• Options
    LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work at MCRD Bayview fairly often and they are RIGHT by the airport. Typically at least one plane takes off during the ceremony and is pretty loud. Instead of having the officiant talk through that part I think it's better when they pause, wait for it to pass and continue. It's more of a distraction when they talk through it because you're straining to hear what they say. Overall, I don't think it's a big deal but I do recommend pausing for a few moments while it passes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

THanks Laura!  I was at the park on Saturday and planes went by every five minutes or so.  But some were small andn ot very distracting and some were the big, loud planes.  It just freaked me out howm any there were.  i would hate to have to stop every five minutes and pause.  But I am probably just overreacting.  Hoepfully the majority of hte planes will not be the super distracting ones.

Have you ever shot a wedding at the Administrative Courtyard?  Most vendors I am workingwith have never heard of it!  It's a beautiful spot though!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Sheraton on Harbor Island which is right by the airport as well.  FI and I sat on the bench outside during our would-be ceremony time on a Sunday afternoon (we're getting married on a Sunday).  It wasn't too bad. I figure the ceremony only lasts for half an hour anyway, so I'm not too concerned
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you'll only have to pause if it's one of those big loud ones. I bet most will be no big deal and you're right, you'll want to just continue with the ceremony for the quieter ones. That was smart of you to go sit and listen. I have never been there! I'm wondering if it's the same spot that a friend told me about recently. She said there's a really pretty area near Balboa Park that kind of feels like a mini Balboa Park and would be much less crowded on weekends for photos. I will definitely be checking it out, thank you for suggesting it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh I went there again on satuurday and 10 planes went by between 3:30 and 4:00!!!! 10!! I am starting to think we will do better at the El Cortez. I didn't think there would be a big difference between the two but El Cortez plane noise is way quieter!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Administrative Courtyard is beautiful, and the planes really don't go overhead there, so you should be ok. And in terms of comparison with the El Cortez, the cost difference will be very big, and the feeling of your wedding will be quite different, which is a choice to think about. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

THanks for the advise mbpillsbury.  We are actually having our reception at the El Cortez so the only thing we would be changing is the ceremony location.  We love the ballroom at the El Cortez, but the patio is sort of "blah"  I just have to see hwo we can make it prettier!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you should have your officiant pause when the planes go over.  The Starlight Theatre in Balboa Park does that during their performances since it is an open air theatre.  They put a note in the program about it and at first it seems odd, but after 2 times you get used to it.  Maybe you could talk to your officiant about it? 

If you put a note in your program, the guests will be prepared. I think most people can deal with things if they are prepared.  So if the guests hear about it beforehand, they will go with it and everything will be fine.

I also agree that the El Cortez will be significantly more expensive!

Good Luck!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    engaged on 5/29/11... Kelly & Andy to be married -- September 29, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards