Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Ireland help

Hello everyone, I just got engaged and plan to get married Oct. 1st, 2011. We are going to Ireland for our honeymoon and any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!! We would also like to take a day or two in Scottland and Wales. Should we ferry or fly? Thanks again for any help!!

Re: Ireland help

• Options
    Hey! GREAT choice for a honeymoon. I have always wanted to go to Ireland, but we can't afford it right now. We hope to go in 2 or 3 years. 

I haven't done much research, but I've been told that the west side of Ireland is stunning, and that there isn't much to do in Dublin. I think when we go we'll fly into Shannon, and rent a car and drive up the west coast. 

Have a great time!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Dublin has some fun things to do on the touristy side - walk through Trinity College, do the Guinness brewery tour, visit the Temple Bar area.  I would say 2 days tops in the city, though, and then I would get out into the country side.  There is a really beautiful area called Glendalough southwest of Dublin.  You could also do Galway and the Cliffs of Moher on the west coast.  You could maybe fly into Dublin, see the city and then rent a car or take the bus out to Galway and the western side and fly out of Shannon.

As for getting to Scotland, I would check the cost of each and the time spent for each, and use that to make a decision.  In a lot of cases, the ferry is nice b/c you see scenery you wouldn't otherwise from the air.  However, if it is cold and rainy and foggy, you may not see that much from a ferry.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options

No, Dublin is nothing compared to London or Paris but it's def. worth a one or two night visit. We were there probably longer than most people but found tons of neat and off-beat things to do. Let me put it this way, if you guys are into the arts/history, it's a neat place. Def. musts-Guinness & Jameson tours, also we really enjoyed the 1916 Easter Uprising walking tour. The pub scene is also a lot of fun.

I second sunshine's recommendation for Glendalough. We did a day trip there along with some hiking in the Wicklow Mountains and had a wonderful time. Beauitufl scenery. A really eays day trip from Dublin is taking the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) to the village of Kiliney, Spectacular views from the top of the hill of the Irish coastline.

After Dublin we went to Kilkenny and Waterford, both of which we really enjoyed. We didn't make it to the West Coast but also have heard wonderful things about it.

I'd also check about ferry conditions. Flying between European countries is quite cheap and quick these days.

My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    I lived in Ireland for about four months in 2008. It's amazing! Galway is a must. Cork is probably my favorite place in Ireland--it's easy to get around, the people are friendly, and it's totally different from other parts of Ireland because it's so tropical. I highly recommend going to check out Blarney Castle.

If you go to Dublin, you could easily live there for months and not see everything! You just have to know where to look. They have a fantastic botannical garden, the downtown area is filled with hidden-away pubs and live music, and there is easy access to little fishing villages through the DART system. If you're planning on doing that, Howth (pronounced Hoe-th) is probably one of the best--there's a beautiful hiking path along the cliff, and you can get freshly caught seafood (calamari!) that they literally haul up from the water in front of you to cook. Glendalough is a must, as well.

I would strongly urge you to choose one place and stick with it--I learned this the hard way when traveling around England. It's amazing how much time it takes to see everything, and I know I learned the hard way that it's easy to cheat yourself out of a lot of experiences by trying to cram too much in.

I could talk for days about Ireland--private message me if you want more info!
  • Options
    I would recommend staying in B&Bs instead of hotels. They are the more common accommodations for tourists in Ireland and they are wonderful. Also much less expensive than hotels.

It really depends on how long you plan to stay in Ireland. If you are going to Ireland, then east to Scotland and Wales I would fly into Shannon Airport on the west coast first. You can visit Galway (awesome), The Burren including the Ailwy (sp?) caves, Connemarragh, and the Aran Islands. You can then travel south to Killarney and the lake country, then do the Ring of Kerry and continue East to Cork, The Rock of Cashel in Co. Tipperary, Kilkenny Castle, Waterford and Wexford and up through Glendalough (gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous) and the Wicklow Mountains to Dublin.

Or you can go north from Galway through Connemaragh and along the northern coast to Donegal and further to see the Giant's Causeway and the Rope bridge (can't remember the town). Through the middle of the country are some great towns and the Marble Caves.

In Dublin you can do everything pps already suggested, plus take a bus north to Newgrange, which is a structure older than even the pyramids in Giza.

Just fyi, taking the bus from Dublin west to Galway takes about 4 hours and if you get carsick at all the buses there can be torture. I lived there for a while and took that trip 4 times and got sick every time I stepped on a bus though I don't get sick on buses here in the States. Go figure.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    So my FH and I were just in Dublin this past summer, and we really enjoyed it. If you end up there (and are interested in history), check out the following walking tours. We had a blast!

http://www.historicalinsights.ie/

http://www.dublinpubcrawl.com/

I know the websites look a little jenky, but we found them through Rick Steve's travel guide for Dublin. They were great.

The Westin Dublin is where we stayed while there. Lovely hotel and within walking distance of everything. Oh, and I second the Jameson tour recommendation :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards