Texas-Austin

Umlauf Sculture Garden/ Outdoor summer wedding advice

Hey knotties!  I'm getting married July 10th at around 6 in the evening.  The wedding will be at Umlauf Sculpture Gardens.  I really love the place and it's one of my best options.  However, I'm a bit worried about it being too hot for my guests.  I haven't lived here for very long and would like some advice on how to make it comfortable for my guests.  Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Re: Umlauf Sculture Garden/ Outdoor summer wedding advice

• lasaggie08lasaggie08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding this past June at I think 5pm and we were all just dying from the heat.

My wedding is May 20th and we're having it at 7pm. It will still be plenty light out but will definitely be cooler. Our progams are fans so guests can keep themselves a bit cooler if they wish and we are also having refreshments available ASAP after the ceremony if they want something cold to drink.

There really is only so much you can do if you want the ceremony outside. I say just don't make the ceremony too long and it should be fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I second the PP. Sorry, Hawaiian, but as a native Austinite, I can sadly guarantee you with 100% certainty it will be HOT and humid! (and at 6:00 pm in July, that sun ain't setting until 8:30 pm or so. It will still be shining brightly.) 
    You'll want to put everyone in the shade, either under trees or tents/canopies. In addition to fans for programs, consider putting out cheap paper parasols too. Breezes are essential: you may want to look into renting/setting up fans and "mister fans" from an event rental place - which are fans you'll see at the bars and restaurants in Austin that blow water mist along with air. Consider a relaxed dress code so that male guests can be comfortable in short sleeves and women in sleeveless shirts/dresses. (This is not the time for suit jackets or black tie.)  Communicate to your guests that there's not a formal dress code if so.
    And ditto on the cold drinks - perhaps have coolers of lemonade or iced tea set up on tables behind the ceremony seating or have guests greeted with cold glasses of this (or champagne!) as they arrive.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the advice.  I like the idea of having something cool to drink for the ceremony guests.  Thanks again!  :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding last July and I wanted to slap the bride and groom for making us sit through a long ceremony in the heat.  We were all soaking wet from sweat.  Please make sure your guests know it's outside and to dress for summer weather.  Have you thought of renting electric fans?  And making the programs fans? 
  • edited December 2011
    Yup, I've been contacting places around town for misting fans and do plan on making those fan programs as well as setting up pitchers of water for our guests.  There will also be a food and cake setup in the adjacent Crenshaw Building, which is air-conditioned.  The building is too small to seat my entire party.  However, it's enough space for everyone to comfortabley stand. 

Ahhh July!  My BIL is coming in on mid-leave tour from Afghanistan around that time and it's really important to us that he is present.  Unfortunately, Umlauf was one of the only places that was located in the city, wasn't booked, out of our budget, nor did they have crazy house policies and th coordinator is awesome (unlike some other places I've had to deal with).  :-)  I love the place though and I'm sure it will be beautiful.  I'm just concerned about the heat. 
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married May 29 outdoors at 5pm and no doubt it will be hot. We are doing fan programs and a casual dress code as PP mentioned. Also, when guests walk up to the seating area, the table with programs will be set up with cold lemonade and iced water so they can sip on a cold beverage during the wedding. I was inspired by some photos I saw on OnceWed.com and a "lemonade stand" can be really nice if done right. I love the rustic look so it fits right in with our wedding. I am very excited about it! 
  • jenn.atxjenn.atx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We're getting married in June and my FI family is from Michigan... we're pretty much expecting them to melt.  : (  I think that iced down bottles of water are the way to go.  I've been to a wedding where it was HOT and they served drinks in glasses, which I thought was great until the ceremony started and ice was clanking around in the glasses every time someone took a drink.  Just something to consider in the process. 

• edited December 2011
    Oh my, after considering how uncomfortable we may be, we decided to book The Palm Door instead.  I feel a bit badly because the coordinator, Joelle, is a total DREAM to work with.  The gardens are beautiful but I just don't think that we'll be able to enjoy it in the heat.  I signed my contract with Palm Door today and Margaret, the coordinator, seems really friendly and accommodating!  :-)
  • edited December 2011

The Palm Door looks really cool, and they have great reviews. I considered it before we booked the Allan House, and we may do it for the RD. Let us know how your experience goes! They have that outdoor deck with lots of windows... so it will be kind of like being outside for you - just with much more pleasant AC. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards