South Asian Weddings

Most ridiculous thing you've seen on the other boards

Since we love OUR board so much...what is the most ridiculous thing you've seen on the other boards?

For me, it was the idiot bride who thought it was 'cost-effective' to have a reception in which she asked everyone - from near or far - to bring a dish to the reception. She called it a 'covered dish reception'. Of course it was cost effective for her - her a$$ wasn't paying for the reception food! People could have been sick off of food sitting in the car for too long or worse - OFFENDED! I would be! The guests at your weddings are just that - guests, and they deserve to be treated with respect. She got such a lashing but still didn't understand it. What a dumb dumb. I tried to point out that it was rude, that she wouldn't know what everyone was bringing, if anyone had an allergy they  may be screwed, the food may spoil in the car, etc. Nothing worked.

The one REALLY nice thing about our culture is that we properly know how to treat our guests.

Re: Most ridiculous thing you've seen on the other boards

• SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OH, another one was when a bride didn't speak English as well as everybody else but had a question. She wrote it incorrectly and people hounded her for it, telling her to work on her English first. I told them they were stupid b*tches and that she just wanted some help. Idiots! Everywhere!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are certainly those out there, my most up there are the things people know that it is not right to do so, but they still post to get some validation that it is the right thing to do and get all pissed off when they are told this is considered rude, like you said Sonali, like the guest bringing food for the reception, cash bars, etc etc.  The list goes on....

I thnk people should realize, when in doubt about these things, most of the time, it shouldn't be done. 
  • edited December 2011

Even though I really like this person I thought it was so wierd when she said her guest list was 37 people and she was still trying to cut her guest list size! I was think wow!!! That's ridiculous I couldn't even think of having my wedding that small. That's not even half my family!!!

Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WOW....I don't really go on any other boards except for the SA and Toronto board.
    I'm glad that this board is so friendly....I've been on other NWR messages boards and there has been soo much 'online drama'
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People need to grow up and have some pamprin.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_ridiculous-thing-youve-seen-other-boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:100aef17-50e9-40f9-9052-2073fecc9063Post:5d01674d-7881-4fe1-92ef-8d6022a95b6b">Re: Most ridiculous thing you've seen on the other boards</a>:
    [QUOTE]WOW....I don't really go on any other boards except for the SA and Toronto board. I'm glad that this board is so friendly....I've been on other NWR messages boards and there has been soo much 'online drama'
    Posted by Bhanu&Anuj[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Bhanu&Anuj, my sister was on this board before her wedding and passed on the wisdome to me..lol. I dont go on any other board besides this one, I think this one keeps me busy enough with work I get to sneak in some time here and there to answer/question with my fellow lovely SA knotties :)
  • edited December 2011
    One girl on the California Board asked if it was okay to have people purchase drink tickets in advance in the invitation, but it was a BYO drinks type deal so she was just going to buy everything wholesale. She was going to then take money earned from the drink tickets and pocket it for her honeymoon. After people started bashing her she then asked if it were okay to then have a cash bar and pocket the money . .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards