Hawaii
Options

New here, want simple but nice...lots of questions!

Hi,

I'm brand new here. Our plan is to get married on Oahu. This is a second marriage for both of us. Between us we have 6 kids ages 12-21. We originally thought to elope and do it alone, but I want some close friends there, other family, and especially our children. My fiance is getting a little overwhelmed, because he wants to keep it pretty simple and casual. Here is my question. Do you think I can find a home with an ocean view or beachfront that we can stay at, hold the ceremony, and have a reception? Does anyone have any suggestions. I have looked at VRBO, and usually book through that site when I go on any vacation. We were just in Kauai last month and found a great condo, but it was just the two of us. thousands a night is not really an option, I would rather go back to the beach wedding and out to dinner thing if that is the only idea. Also, if we did rent a home through VRBO do the owners usually OK something like this? Anyone have experience??
Kathy
Kathy

Re: New here, want simple but nice...lots of questions!

• Options
    breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello! I don't really have anything constructive to say, unfortunately since I don't know anything about rentals. We're staying at a hotel and getting married on a public beach. But I did want to say congratulations and you won't regret this decision :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! Your idea is almost exactly what were doing. Check out my planning bio link & i'll give you more info when im not on my phone. Our vrbo rental is $500/night & the owner is letting us have all 30 of our guests. He prefers 25 or less though. It sleeps 10. P.s isnt kauai amazing?! We loved it so much!
  • Options
    KatfshhRNKatfshhRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!! Kauai was incredible. I think we are going to get married on Oahu, and then go back to Kauai. We were there for 8 nights and still didn't do everything we wanted to do.
    Kathy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we went for 5 days and were rushing around like crazy trying to do it all. Lesson learned though, on our honeymoon we are forcing ourselves to relax. So I can Private message you the link to our house rental if you're interested, or if you search kaneohe on vrbo.com there's other options as well. I searched for about a month til I found our rental, a lot of places said no to the wedding. How many people do you think you'll have and when are you guys getting married?
  • Options
    FSForeverFSForever member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

First of all Welcome and Congratulations!
    Second, you could have written our bio. LOL second marriage for each of us and we have 7 kids between us, ages 14 to 26.  So far 4 are confirmed to joining us.
    Can't really help you with the Kauai and the house rental because we will be on Maui but we are going through VBRO and getting condos.  We figured it would be more cost effective for our guests and we could put the kids together, of course near us. We are also getting married on a beach.  Have you thought about hiring a coordinator?  There are some good ones out there and you can do as little or as much as you wish but it may take some of the stress off and put your FH at ease.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_new-here-want-simple-but-nicelots-of-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:65936510-f931-4813-a09e-a4648e42a624Post:8910497c-11a8-40b6-aefb-2b47137582d4">Re: New here, want simple but nice...lots of questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]. So I can Private message you the link to our house rental if you're interested, or if you search kaneohe on vrbo.com there's other options as well. I searched for about a month til I found our rental, a lot of places said no to the wedding. How many people do you think you'll have and when are you guys getting married?
    Posted by sparklegirl84[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would love the link! The picture of it looks perfect! We are getting married in Aug 2012. We have been engaged since last Feb, but haven't really decided on anything. So, I am just starting to figure it all out. I think we will have somewhere from 25-50 people. Just my family, siblings, and our kids brings us to 23. Not sure if they will all come, but a lot of friends said they want to come.
    Kathy
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_new-here-want-simple-but-nicelots-of-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:65936510-f931-4813-a09e-a4648e42a624Post:bf884db1-72fc-421b-933c-2d4debb96452">Re: New here, want simple but nice...lots of questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]First of all Welcome and Congratulations! Second, you could have written our bio. LOL second marriage for each of us and we have 7 kids between us, ages 14 to 26.  So far 4 are confirmed to joining us. Posted by FSForever[/QUOTE]

Wow! Very similar. We aren't going to have the wedding in Kauai. We love it there, but Oahu is where we plan on getting married.

Congratulations to you as well!
    Kathy
  • Options
    maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have nothing to add...just wanted to say congrats on your engagement and welcome to the board! J. :-)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  Your plan sounds just lovely.  I'm a real fan of intimate weddings like that.  I don't know how all of the rules work, but I would definitely check each venue to be sure that they actually own the sand area in front of the home.  I believe no structures (arches, chairs, etc) are allowed on public beaches in Hawaii, but if the property has a private beach, you would be fine.  You should also be fine if the property has a waterfront lawn.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards