Ohio-Northeast

Donations vs Favors

Fi & I have been talking about favors or doing a donation for the reception. We have a couple charities that have affected us or close family members and would rather donate money to these causes. Has anyone done this or seen this before? Thanks!
IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary

Re: Donations vs Favors

• starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen this before and thought it was a very nice gesture from the bride and groom.  It's definitely not unusual - so, if it's something that you feel strongly about - go for it!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KT82KT82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

FI and I are doing a donation to Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. A good friend of mine lost her life to breast cancer, and my mom was diagnosed in August, so this is something very close to my heart. I found ribbon cookie cutters, so we will be making pink frosted sugar cookies in the shape of the breast cancer ribbon to put at each place setting.
    My friend also did a donation to the American Cancer Society- STrides against Breast cancer , at her wedding. She had pink ribbon pins at everyone's place setting. Almost everyone wore theirs during the reception, it was great!

• kmbeyerkmbeyer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to do a donation to the college scholarship that helped us meet.  Some people think it's tacky but I think so many people leave them behind or throw them out.  We made minicards from moo (about 40 bucks for 200) with an engagement photo on one side and a note saying what we were doing on the other.   Then on the other side of the table numbers we gave a more detailed description of the foundation.  HTH!
  • mzlildncrmzlildncr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing donations to 2 different places both in memory of my grandfathers who both passed away less than a year ago 2 months apart from each other. We feel our money would be better spent donating to something that means something to us than seeing our favors left behind or thrown away at the end of the night.
  • edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding that had a donation as a favor and I thought it was the greatest idea!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I think that it's a great idea! Most of the time people get favors and never use them anyway so you might as well spend the money on something important and useful, and everyone will love and respect your decision to do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards