Catholic Weddings

Has anyone ever heard of a private RCIA class?

I have been attending Catholic Mass for about 5 years and I am ready to take the next step! I actually have been wanting to become officially Catholic for a few years but the RCIA classes never work with my schedule.
The church I consider my home church offers RCIA classes on Sundays shortly after mass.  This is the church I go to when I go home to my parents house  on the weekends (I'm in college). Unfortunately, I am only able to go home every 2 out of 3 weekends so I can't really commit to a class I can't always go to.  The church I attend while I am at school also has Sunday classes so it is the same problem.

I am hoping to set up a private class that is during the week, is that unheard of?
Thank you for your help!
June 2013- Engagement Rings!!
imageDaisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Has anyone ever heard of a private RCIA class?

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    It is not unheard of. It is a possibility, especially with circumstances that prohibit you from taking part in the regular classes.

The concerns that are there is that there is definitely benefits to taking part in the class and doing formation with a group of peope. It's not merely just an educational catechetical experience, but its spiritual formation.

More would depend on your stage already. RCIA is technically for those that aren't baptized. Most parishes use the classes/process for anyone that needs any kind of sacramental education, so everyone gets lumped into there. If you are already baptized, it might be even easier to get cooperation for private instruction. (Or semi-private...perhaps attend the classes when you can, and get outside instruction for he ones you miss).

Keep in mind though, depending on the church, sometimes the priests are overextended already, and/or RCIA is run by volunteers who have full time jobs and might not have the ability to do a lot more outside of what they already do.

It's worth asking.
  • Perhaps you could talk to the church where you could go for 2/3 classes, and see what they say, and maybe they could just give you a private summary for the occasional class that you miss? That would obviously require less of their time than asking to have the entire class private. But good luck! That is wonderful that you have decided to enter the Church! :-)
    Anniversary
  • My parish recorded all the RCIA sessions for people who missed a session or two to still get the information.  I doubt they would let you get EVERYTHING in this way, but again, it's worth asking.

Anniversary

• Another option could be the Catholic community in your college.  It might be different for non-religious schools, but I know at the university I went to, they also did RCIA/sacramental prep through their campus ministry.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I went to a state school and they had RCIA classes through the Catholic student center too. I believe they met on a weeknight, maybe that's something you can look into.
  • My church does but I don't know the details and or restrictions.
  • Hmmm I believe there is only a general Christian group on campus but it might be worth a look!  

Thanks for all the support and ideas!
    June 2013- Engagement Rings!!
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • My future husband is in RCIA (has been since before we met). His parish has some people who can't come to classes who are studying one-on-one. That's how things were mostly done for converts at my Catholic college. It's how Richard John Neuhaus and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton did things.

Personally, I'm a fan of the pre-Vatican II model for converts.
  • sigmaursesigmaurse member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    My fiance is the RCIA coordinator at his church and he works with people individually. It's possibly you could attend the classes on Sunday and the ones you miss you can do privately later in the week. It's not true that RCIA is usually for people who weren't baptised. It's for people who were baptised in other christian churches, never baptised or baptised Catholic but never received the rest of the sacraments. There are different circumstances for a lot of people. I would say it all boils down to the RCIA coordinator or whoever is in charge of the program and if they are flexible or willing to help our your individual situation. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_has-anyone-ever-heard-of-a-private-rcia-class?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:1b907ca2-eaf0-4426-a78d-7b1112a90fbaPost:1aee4aae-26d6-481e-a89e-a952b9b76816">Re: Has anyone ever heard of a private RCIA class?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance is the RCIA coordinator at his church and he works with people individually. It's possibly you could attend the classes on Sunday and the ones you miss you can do privately later in the week. It's not true that RCIA is usually for people who weren't baptised. It's for people who were baptised in other christian churches, never baptised or baptised Catholic but never received the rest of the sacraments. There are different circumstances for a lot of people. I would say it all boils down to the RCIA coordinator or whoever is in charge of the program and if they are flexible or willing to help our your individual situation. 
    Posted by sigmaurse[/QUOTE]

<div>You missed what I was saying- please read it again. It is absolutely true that TECHNICALLY RCIA is for the unbaptized. This is part of the rites...its actually IN the title. </div><div>
    </div><div>As I said, most parishes put all of the above in the same group meetings because of the need for catechesis and the lack of enough people to lead it. </div>
  • This is what my fiance did. Call the parish and explain your situation and ask if there is a time that they can meet with you privately.
  • I entered the Church through a center of Opus Dei when I was in college.  At the end of my sophomore year, I made the decision to become Catholic, then when I returned in September I started meeting with a numerary (celibate member of OD who lives at the center) 2-3 times per month.  I made my first confession in late October and then entered the Church in early December.  I'd been reading and studying and pursuing God and the Church so much that I felt very prepared for my confirmation and SOOOOO completely ready to receive the Eucharist. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards