Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

opinions???

Hi everyone! My Fiance just told me that his dad wants to pay for out of town relatives hotel rooms that are coming to the wedding. That is fine with me but he expects it to come out of the money they are giving to us for the wedding. Problem is...we have been engaged for over a year and I have all of our vendors decided on and contracts signed with deposits.,,we have no money left over from our budget to pay for 10-15 hotel rooms.  It wouldn't have been a problem if this was suggested to us when they gave us the money. I also don't want to look horribly selfish.  Should I have budgeted for hotel rooms for relatives???  Was this part of your budget?

Re: opinions???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No way. We did not budget any money for hotel rooms. We are setting up a room block at a discounted rate but each person/family is responsible for covering their own room. We are paying for the wedding all on our own so there is just no way we could afford that. I have not seen a wedding where the bride/groom/family paid for hotel rooms so I don't think you're wrong in wanting to use that money elsewhere on things you have already committed to.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't pay for our OOT guests' hotel rooms, but I definitely know people who've done so.  When you have the money, it's a fantastic gesture; unfortunately, most of us don't have that kind of cash just sitting around.

I think you (well, actually your FI) need to stand firm with your FIL - if they want the oot guests' rooms paid for, they can pay for it themselves out of NEW money, not the money they already gave you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you do not need to pay for the rooms for your out of town guests. I think if your fiancee just explains to his dad that the money he gave you has already been budgeted out and there is no extra money to pay for these rooms, maybe his dad will offer more money or the oot guests can pay for themselves.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No way Jose.  I SO agree that it would be a lovely gesture, but its not something that guests expect.
  • Options
    kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow - nice gesture, however, if that wasnt budgeted there is no way I would budge. Good luck - I know how parents can get when they get something in their mind, just try to explain to him where you have committed the money already.
  • Options
    Sarah GerthSarah Gerth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!

Just wanted to make sure I'm not acting like a brat!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards