Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Open Bar Per Person Charge

First, I will of course check with the venues I am considering, but I am in the very early stages of planning and I wondered what is the usual practice:

Obviously, if I have 125 guests, which includes 25 kids, I am paying the pp charge for food for all 125 people, because everyone eats.  But I wondered about the bar charge - do I pay the pp charge for 125 people, or just 100, since, obviously, the kids will not be partaking?

I apologize if this is a silly question, but I appreciate any information you can share about your experiences.

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Open Bar Per Person Charge

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

At my venue, we were not charged a bar charge for guests under 21. 

• edited December 2011

My venue says that they estimate about $20 pp for an open bar. 

• edited December 2011
    They should not charge you a bar charge for guests under 21.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Our venue charged half price per person for everyone under 21.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Often there is a different PP charge for children anyway.  My PPH includes the open bar so the price for kids is about 1/3 the adult price.
    murrayed
  • Sing2phinsSing2phins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  That makes me feel better!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • anreynoldsanreynolds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue does not change the price for kids.  The explanation was that his overall prices takes into consideration the big drinkers, the light drinkers, and the no drinkers.  basically he has factored in this already.  The prices were A LOT cheaper  than any other vendor i could find, so i accepted his explanation as reasonable. 
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ya, my venue charges like $10 pp for under-21 (as compared to $25-$30 pp, depending on the time of day) for open bar.  It includes soda and juice and such.
  • edited December 2011
    My venue is also very inexpensive for the bar charge, but that includes all guests, even if they are under 21.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue has 3 different prices.  Standard open bar pricing for adults.  The only kids that are invited are immediate family, but we have lots of younger cousins.  The ones that are 12 and older get their choice of meal from the same menu as adults, and its about half the price as the adults (I think like $22 compared to $45), and kids under 12 are getting chicken fingers and fries for I think $13 each.  Its definitely a question to ask if you are going to have quite a few kids.  We have 8 under the age 12, and I believe 6 that are between 12-20.  It makes a big difference in our pricing. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards