Catholic Weddings

Holiday Poll!

Its so quiet in here!

1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you?
2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce?
3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie?
4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass?
5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out?

Re: Holiday Poll!

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? My mom's homemade chex mix
    2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? Whole
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? Pumpkin
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? Midnight, when possible
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Stay in!

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? Turkey
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? Apple
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? Midnight Mass
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out?  Go out, but keep things low-key
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_holiday-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:52fec559-996e-4eaf-9ef2-050601a0088aPost:afab15a6-1b72-4ad3-9737-d250075d1ebb">Holiday Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its so quiet in here!
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? <strong>Stuffing...yum!!
    </strong>2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce?  <strong>No cranberries for me...</strong> 
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie?  <strong>Can I have a slice of both please?  :-)</strong>
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass?  <strong>My family goes to the 4pm Children's Mass on Christmas Eve. 
    </strong>5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out?  <strong>Last year I stayed in and this year I have a killer dress so I'm GOING OUT!!  </strong>
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]
  • MelindaM83MelindaM83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? Glazed Honey Ham
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie?  Pumpkin
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? I love Midnight Mass.
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Go out with close friends.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you?  Peanut Buttgr Fudge. My mother's made it since I was little and it's not Christmas until the fudge is made!
    2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce?  Neither! Yuck! I'll  substitute mashed potatoes
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie?  How about Pumpkin Cheesecake
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass?  Midnight Mass
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Stay In!
  • edited December 2011
    Turkey!!!
    Neither. don't like cranberries
    Neither. FI's mom's Mudpie
    Midnight Mass then loads of food after until far to late :)
    Stay in. Last year was the best NYE with FI. We stayed in with a fire and watch an entire season of The Tudors
  • edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? Hot apple cider
    2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? I prefer whole, but will certainly take the jelly if that's the only choice
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? Apple
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? Midnight Mass is probably my favorite of the whole year
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Stay in
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • k8lyk8ly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_holiday-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:52fec559-996e-4eaf-9ef2-050601a0088aPost:afab15a6-1b72-4ad3-9737-d250075d1ebb">Holiday Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its so quiet in here!

<font color="#993366">Bubulkies - it's a Polish thing - I never know if I'm spelling them right.

</font>2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce?
    <font color="#993366">No thank you.

</font>3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie?
    <font color="#993366">Whipped Cream, with a little Pumpkin Pie

</font>4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? 
    <font color="#993366">Christmas Day
    </font>
    <font color="#993366">Stay in - preferably surrounded by friends.

</font>
    I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. ~Dory
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you?  Oh, geez.  Just one?  Haha.   I guess, peanut butter cookies with hershey kisses on top.  I so hope my mom mails me some since this will be my first Christmas without her and her cookies.

2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? Neither.  Don't like cranberries.  But FI loves the jellied kind

3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? This time of year, pumpkin without a doubt.  But in September, apple for sure.  I enjoy baking them both. :D

4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? Midnight

5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Stay in.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? My mom's super healthy (not) cheesy spinach quiche!
    2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? whole
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? pumpkin
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass?  Midnight
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out?  Host a party!  Although this year I think I'll be recovering from my sister's wedding on the 30th :)
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Holiday Poll! : [QUOTE]Its so quiet in here! 1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? <em><strong> Bubulkies - it's a Polish thing - I never know if I'm spelling them right</strong></em>. 2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? No thank you. 3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? Whipped Cream, with a little Pumpkin Pie 4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass?  Christmas Day 5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Stay in - preferably surrounded by friends.
    Posted by k8ly[/QUOTE]

k8ly, what are bubulkies?  I've never heard of them.  I'm Polish, too :D  I always had kielbasa, perogies, and chrusciki for Christmas.  In fact, I'm serving authentic kielbasa for dinner at my wedding next week :D  Grandma wanted to have kielbasa for Thanksgiving, too.  But my mom nixxed it since we're having it for the wedding lol
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    edited December 2011
    oh, yum, pierogies!
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm just gonna share in my own way. This will be my 9th Christmas as a music director of a church. This year, Christmas is on a Saturday...not a huge deal for most people, but for priests and musicians who do multiple...well, its a lot of masses.

I have a 4 PM on Christmas eve at a Catholic high school (they pay me lots of $), then dinner with my musician friends, cause thats who my family is during Christmas--- I see them more than anyone. Then early to set up and rehearse for the 10:30 late night mass, then 2 more on Christmas morning. (Saturday). Then 3 on Sunday morning, plus possibly one Sunday night at another church.

That's a lot of mass.  And when Christmas is on a Monday... 3 on Sunday morning, then 2 more Christmas masses that day, and 2 more the next day.

I better be getting brownie points. :)

• edited December 2011
    k8ly:
    Whipped Cream, with a little Pumpkin Pie
    I like the way you think! lol

1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? Candied Yams
    2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? Yum! Either!
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? Apple :)
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? Midnight
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Stay in, preferably somewhere with a nice cozy blanket, wood stove and cup of hot chocolate and of course my fiance :)
  • edited December 2011
    mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie
    I'm not too fond of cranberry sauce but if I had to choose then I'd go with the jellied
    pumpkin pie
    I4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass?
    I've actually have never been to either.
    It depends where the party is at

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? I make a pumpkin cheesecake that is the perfect blend of a cheesecake and a pumpkin pie. I love it!

2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? Ick neither. FI loves to eat raw cranberries though. Yep... raw. 

3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? No such thing as too much pumpkin pie. I love it.

4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? Midnight Mass.

5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Depends on what the plans are. Usually we have some friends over, but stay in. This year, since we will be on our honeymoon, we fully intend to go out.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
    edited December 2011
    annagtz, if you have the chance, you should check out midnight mass - its really quite special. 
  • ashleighc83ashleighc83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Turkey with stuffing and mashed potatoes with gravy and of course, meatpie mmmmmmmmmmmm (it's a French Canadian thing and if you've never had it, yes you are sooooooo missing out!!!!)

Who cares as long as there's cranberry sauce!

Pumpkin Pie (or fruit cake)

BOTH! We have a children's Christmas Mass at 7pm, then the adults have the Midnight Mass (although most have consumed enough wine to have our own kind of glow) and Christmas Mass in the morning as a family

That's always a go out type of occasion, this year we might be in Mont Tremblant for New Year's youpee!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rombacjarombacja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? almond gooey butter cake! (my mom's specialty)
    2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? whole
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? pumpkin!
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? I prefer midnight mass, but whatever works with travel and work and families and such
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? I'd prefer to stay in, but I think we might be going out this year
  • LouWho19LouWho19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Stuffing.  I got an awesome recipe for an old friend that includes sausage, bread, celery, onions, carrots, dried cherries, dried cranberries, apples, etc...it's amazing!
    2.  Jellied...and still in the shape of the can, haha :)
    3.  Apple pie...and cherry pie and pecan pie...I LOVE PIE :)
    4.  Christmas Day Mass
    5.  Stay in 
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • LouWho19LouWho19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, reading about everyone's fave holidays foods is making me very hungry! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? All the leftovers the day after Thanksgiving. My sisters and I make a huge plate, sit in the living room, and watch old movies.
    2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? Jellied!! The cheap ocean spray one is my favorite.
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? Apple pie. I  don't like pumpkin pie.
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? Midnight Mass - it's so special to me
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Go out. We've been going to a dive bar with a group of friends for a few years now. It costs $10 and is the best night!
    edited December 2011
    ashleigh, do you put ketchup  on your meatpie?  my MIL makes it - i dont care for it, but H's family all loves it adn they dump ketchup all over it...
  • edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? My grandfather's (formerly my great-grandma's) fruitcake. I know you're all thinking ewwww, because everyone thinks of the store-bought rockhard fruitcakes. My dad & I (and now H, he helped last year and will this weekend) make it every year. And it's like a spiced raisin cake. Really moist, and just so good. Hard to describe when most people have such a preconceived notion, but it's delicious and it makes a nice day with my parents.
    2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? Whole. When I was little, I got the stomach flu after having leftover canned/jellied cranberry sauce. Bad memories, haven't eaten it for like 31 years.
    3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? Thanksgiving: Pumpkin, Christmas: Apple
    4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? unfortunately our diocese does not do Midnight Mass anymore. I hate it. It's at 10 which is almost impossible to make. I always did midnight mass and loved it. So now I do 9am. But I keep hoping someone goes back to a midnight mass.
    5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out?  Stay in.  Or even if we "go out", it has been to a friend's house.
    Crosswalk
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_holiday-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:52fec559-996e-4eaf-9ef2-050601a0088aPost:21bd7372-cdb0-4220-911c-06a8d329000d">Re: Holiday Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you?   Peanut Buttgr Fudge. My mother's made it since I was little and it's not Christmas until the fudge is made![/QUOTE]

ME TOO!!!!!!! Only, my grandma makes it :)

2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? whole

3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie?  Cherry!!!

4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? Definitely Midnight Mass. My family used to always do 4pm Christmas Eve, but we've gone to midnight Mass the past few years and I LOVE it :)

5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Stay in. And last year we celebrated at 10pm so FI's parents could go to bed. hahaha. lame...

I love this thread! And I love that its only five questions, I hate the polls that are like 15 questions long and I don't even want to read them lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you?  pretty much everything, but I love my Grandma's banana pudding and cheese balls

2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? whole cranberry sauce

3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? apple pie

4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? midnight/10 pm Christmas Eve mass

5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? stay in with family and friends
  • k8lyk8ly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    catarntina - basically little pieces of bread, steamed, with ground poppy seed (my grandma used to grow it contraband in her back yard *gasp*) and heated honey mixed with butter - it's so yummy - esp heated up the next morning for breakfast!

monicajae - thank you!  lol!

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. ~Dory
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    1.  What's the one food item that "makes" it the holidays for you? egg rolls

2.  Jellied or Whole cranberry sauce? Whole, I like having a little bit of berries in mine.  Also, IKEA's lingonberry tastes good, too.

3.  Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie? Pumpkin.

4.  Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Mass? Both.  We do the Christmas Eve Mass at 3PM and then Christmas morning Mass right after opening presents.  No one in my family can stay up until midnight.

5.  New Year's Eve - Stay In or Go Out? Well, kinda both.  Our church has a very fun overnight retreat.  We do the Liturgy of the Hours, adoration, sing carols, watch a movie together, hold a dinner party and go all out ringing in the new year.  And then go to Mass together the next morning for Solemnity of Mary Mother of God, a holy day of obligation.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards