Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

New to the board!

Hi there,
Just wanted to introduce myself to the group.  I am very recently engaged and in the very early stages of wedding planning.  My dilemma at the moment is finding a reception venue for about 300 seated in the north metro area.  I am enjoying reading your posts and ideas! Looking forward to the planning process and hearing more from you all!

Faith

Re: New to the board!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!  GL in your venue search...once you get that figured out you will feel so amazing!  You will get lots of helpful ideas and advice here :)
    June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thats a major one that for most is the most time consuming. GL and welcome! The ladies here are the best!!!
  • Options
    Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  We recently went to a wedding at The Mermaid in New Brighton and it was really nice, and I think they can hold up to that many people. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! I'm no help in finding a venue, as our wedding only has about 75 invited, but good luck! Everyone here is super helpful.
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best wishes and welcome to the boards!  I know that you'll find this to be a great resource.  I certainly did!  Don't be shy!
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to your new addiction :-)!!! Congrats on your engagement and get ready to ask lots of questions...that what we're here for!
  • Options
    bemistobebemistobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!! The ladies on this board rock, and there is no question that goes unanswered!

Happy Planning!
  • Options
    EineSnickle7EineSnickle7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! Thanks all!  I can tell this is going to be such a big help! Here's my first question: How much should I expect to spend on a cake?  Most places I'm finding charge a cutting and serving fee per slice if I go with another baker.  Is this typical?  Any tips? I'm thinking it might be more worth my money if I go with the venue's baker. 
     Thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  Thanks for the intro:)

Yes- a lot of venues will have preferred caterers and bakers, but not all of them.

Buttercream seems to be one of the favorites of the girls, and it also tends to usually be the preferred baker at a lot of venues.  Usually you can get aroudn teh cake cutting fee if you have cupcakes though!

We're gettin gmarried at the Profile Event Center.  It's not north metro; it's right by the U of M campus.  But it does hold a lot of people.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going through the same cake dilemma, to go with the venue's preferred baker or not. Our venue's preferred baker is Buttercream and it's going to be about $600 for 150 people, or $1/person cake cutting fee if we use another baker... haven't decided if it's worth it or not. 
  • Options
    bemistobebemistobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

A way that we are eliminating our cake cutting fee is by having cupcakes. We'll have a top tier for FI and I to cut, but the rest will be cupcakes.

• Options
    drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats! Yeah for the cake it really varies on what design you want and how many people you are feeding. My FI and I are actually having a tiered cake with faux tiers to make it less expensive as desert is already included with the meal anyway. Only the top tier will be real and that is the one we will cut into.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

At all of the 6 venues FI and I looked at, they all had a cutting fee of $1-1.50 per serving, which was waived if you go with Buttercream.  I don't want their cake and don't want cupcakes (you lose out on the filling flavors if you're trying to do it on the cheap), so we're going to be stuck with that fee.  Oh, well.  It's more important to us (read: "me") that the cake look awesome, so we're working it into our budget.

Good luck with the reception venue hunt.  I know there's a community center in Shoreview and Coon Rapids that can seat that many, but you'll have to spend money on decorations and linens.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Profile Event Center.  We are in the North Metro and it's less than 15 miles away from us.  Some of the "perks" in my opinion of PEC:
    - you bring in your own liquor = saves a ton of money
    - use Buttercream for your cake, and it's 3.50 a person and their cake is to die for
    - they only have 2 rooms, which can both accomodate 300...no bumping into other wedding parties
    - state of the are light and sound equiment (perfect for a band!)
    - 2 hotels within 4 blocks
    - no space rental charge if you reach their food minimums (super easy to do with 300 people)
    - Heather is awesome to work with
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    lboerner88lboerner88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement :) The girls on this board are the best! Don't be afraid to use us as a resource!
  • Options
    VeittobeVeittobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay!  Welcome!!  

I'm having my wedding at The Mermaid in Mounds View.  I believe they can fit 400 guests in the tent and maybe in the ballrooms as well - I'm not positive.  But it would definitely be worth looking into.  It's a lot nicer inside than you would expect and their prices are much more reasonable than many of the other places we looked into - very important when you're looking at a 400 count guest list for dinner!!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
    Mike and Kelly 10.01.10
    MSP Signature Challenge:Favorite Registry Item=Wine Cellar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    BIO!! Updated 06/20/10

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I just posted this on another thread, but it seems like it would help you too:
    We checked out Edinbugh in Brooklyn Park. No rental fee if you meet the food  and beverage minimum, lots of things included, and Buttercream cake- which counts toward the food and beverage minimum. And pretty affordable for everything that's included. They call it a "Scottish manor", and it's definitely a goregous space if you're open to a golf course. I'm not completely sure on their capacity (we were looking for a space for 200), but I think they said they could hold up to 300.
    http://www.edinburghusa.org/ 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats on your engagement!  I'd check hotel ballrooms... I saw photos recently of one at the Northland Inn in Brooklyn Center... there's also the Earle Brown Heritage center, Maplewood Community center, Shoreview Community center... a lot of those places will have catering restrictions, with the exception of Shoreview which only expects you to use an in-house alcohol provider.  Good luck with your search and we'd love to help you out!
  • Options
    EineSnickle7EineSnickle7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the tip.  Edinburgh is one that I keep coming to over and over again.  I went to a beautiful reception there quite a few years back.  I am actually meeting with Cheron (?) tomorrow at 10 to look around and get some prices figured out! I'll post about how it goes :) Thanks again!

You all have provided me with some really great ideas! Thanks a ton!  Some I had come across before and found minor details I wasn't crazy about but now have a few more venues to look into!  This is such a great help!

Faith
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards