Catholic Weddings
Options

Church requiring Day of coordinator?

Has anyone else run into this? I wasn't planning on a coordinator, but in the hand out we were given during our first meeting with father it was listed as a requirement.

If you had one did you find them through the church or find them as you would any other vendor?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Church requiring Day of coordinator?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    At the church I got married, we were required to use one of their ceremony coordinators.  The ceremony coordinator got a flat fee of $100.  She was really helpful and I'm glad she was there.  She led us through a lot of the details at the rehearsal (particularly useful since we brought in an outside priest), arrived early at the church to open it up for th florist, helped hand out boutaineres and corsages, lined everyone up for the procession, and told everyone when to start walking. 
  • Options
    camaryalcamaryal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is also required. She is from the church and has a flat fee of $150. I'm not entirely sure of everything that she does, but I know she's in charge of organizing all of the bridal party, lectors, etc for the rehersal and actual day and will give directions to the photographer on the day of so that he knows where he can go during the ceremony.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They probably don't need you to hire an expensive wedding planner but just need someone who knows what's going on to be a go-to person. A friend of ours acted as sort of a head usher and we filled her in on everything since she knows the church very well. It ended up being really helpful to have her there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like others, there is a woman who "does" the weddings at my parish. She is actually a friend of ours, but she generally makes a small fee. She runs the rehearsal, opens up for florists, etc., sets up for mass and generally makes things run smoothly. Such a person will prove to be a great asset when the wedding rolls around. I would talk to your church and find out if they recommend someone or generally use someone in particular to serve this roll for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked at our Newman parish as a possible place to get married and they also required a DOC that they provided.  The fee was minimal.

I would ask your priest whether the DOC is something the parish provides or if you had to provide your own.  I imagine it's someone they provide, perhaps a pastoral associate or a staff or volunteer who's familiar with marriage preparation and the Liturgy.  Sometimes parishes have these trained DOCs to take some of the load off the priest who has so much on his plate.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't, but my SIL did.  I think it was nice that the coordinator managed stuff on the day of so that my SIL could focus on getting ready herself rather than making sure the groomsmen were wearing their ties and everyone was lined up correctly.
  • Options
    MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Both the church that I am getting married and the one I attend regularly have wedding coordinators (only for the ceremony).  I am actually one of them, but I have never gotten paid.  In fact, we are not allowed to accept any money and if they happen to give it to us anyway, we usually put it in the basket the next day.  We do it as a service ministry and don't charge.

You might want to get clarification.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards