May 2012 Weddings
Options

Well it's official *Rant*

One of my aunts, my mom's only sister, is ditching my bridal shower for a retirement seminar. I'm her only biological niece.

And no, she's not retiring anytime soon. She said it's for people who want to prepare early, and that there's ppl who are coming to this seminar that typically don't...? Can't you read these things online, or better yet, go to another seminar since the school district should be holding another one for ppl who want to retire later (like her!)? I'm decades from retirement, so maybe there's something I don't know?

Then again, this is the same women who would leave family functions early because she said she needed to go home and take out her trash b/c couldn't afford to miss one pick up. She is 57 years old, never married, no kids - how much trash could  she possibly have?!

Lame. But mostly disappointing.
Anniversary

Re: Well it's official *Rant*

• Options
    That is disappointing, I am sorry :( I do know that the sooner you plan for retirement the better, but it seems like there would be another seminar for her to attend so she could be at shower. Could your mom talk to her, maybe?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mandydc0509mandydc0509 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_well-its-official?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:fdeb1b20-7965-456f-b280-ac3daf62f6cePost:6963ada9-ed1a-45b8-88e3-18f87240895f">Re: Well it's official *Rant*</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is disappointing, I am sorry :( I do know that the sooner you plan for retirement the better, but it seems like there would be another seminar for her to attend so she could be at shower. Could your mom talk to her, maybe?
    Posted by mandi921vh[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I think the person that kept my aunt from acting too crazy/kept everyone relationships civil with this aunt was my grandmother, and she died almost a year ago. Having my mom call her wouldn't make a difference.

And yes, she acknowledged that there would be another seminar offered later; she said she wants to go to this one b/c certain people will be there. Again, I just don't understand why she couldn't get that info another way?

It's probably kind of a good thing bc she an be socially awkard, but, despite it all, she's my aunt.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I know how you're feeling. I have one grandparent still alive -- my dad's mother. Her and I have always been close, and she adores my FI. But ... she's not coming to my wedding. My youngest cousin got married this past September and our grandmother decided not to go to her's, so therefore she's also not coming to mine. Kinda sucks, but there's nothing to do about it. Some people are just stubborn ... and you have to accept it.
  • Options
    I definitely have some people like this invited to my events, too - I think we all do.  This is the only time in your life that you get to celebrate and do these fun things, so try not to worry about it.  I had a BM back out of coming to my shower because she had a "work thing" come up....on a Sunday...and my FI's aunt "forgot" to show up.  I mean, whatever - I took it all with a grain of salt, because at the end of the day it's soooo not worth worrying about when there are so many other people who will be there and so many other more important things to worry about.  Just enjoy your day with those who will be there.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I know how you feel.  My Nonna (i.e. my grandmother) is most likely not coming to my wedding because "it's too far" and "she doesn't like flying".  This is coming from a woman who has flown all the way to Italy to visit her relatives and takes a drive up to Canada (about a 10 hr drive) at least once a year.  She's the only living grandparent I have left, and I'm her oldest grandchild...and the first to have an actual wedding.  It makes me sad. :(
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_well-its-official?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:fdeb1b20-7965-456f-b280-ac3daf62f6cePost:cc88bd08-2872-427b-9e1a-94cf857d82f2">Re: Well it's official *Rant*</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know how you feel.  My Nonna (i.e. my grandmother) is most likely not coming to my wedding because "it's too far" and "she doesn't like flying".  This is coming from a woman who has flown all the way to Italy to visit her relatives and takes a drive up to Canada (about a 10 hr drive) at least once a year.  She's the only living grandparent I have left, and I'm her oldest grandchild...and the first to have an actual wedding.  It makes me sad. :(
    Posted by gpapale1[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm sorry :( How far away is your wedding from her?

My only living grandmother isn't coming either. She has gotten to that point where she doesn't like to leave her house or town for anything since her husband died. Since she didn't attend my sister or cousin's wedding (both were over 6 years ago), I knew she wouldn't be at mine. I understand her situation though; you just can't move the same at that age.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Sorry to hear.  My aunt/godmother ditched out on us last second before we went dress shopping, and I know it can be disappointing for people you are close to to skip important wedding related things.  I think I was most hurt because she didn't even tell me directly, just told my mom, and I never even got an explanation or apology from her...
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards