Arizona-Phoenix

Interviewing DJ's

I have already received referrences from my venue and wedding planner but my fiance insists I get more feedback on DJ's.  Thus far we have only interviewed Billy James Music http://www.billyjamesmusic.com  My  fiance and I both felt that they are not modern and "hip" enough for what we are trying to accomplish on our big day.  We have set up another interview with MT Sounds http://www.mtsounds.com who came at the suggestion of our venue.  I will post an update after we meet with them on Wednesday.  Does anyone have any suggestions on reputable disc jockey companies here in the valley?

Re: Interviewing DJ's

• edited December 2011
    I hired Ray the DJ, who I think are wonderful!  I have worked with them many times and did not interview anyone else when I decided to book a DJ.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I had the same issue.  We really wanted someone who was a little younger or had high energy.  We first interviewed the DJs on our venue's prefered list.  They did not match our personalities.  So, then we moved on and found someone that we liked.  I would stress that you really need to 'click' with the DJ since they will be the mcee for the night and keep the party going. 

We interviewed the following:

1) AZ Celebrity DJ - on the prefered list, met with Joe.  Would not recommend him at all.  The meeting took 2 hours, he did not answer any of our questions.  The meeting reminded me of a used car sales pitch.  Very disapointed. There is another DJ that may be better, his name is Juan. 

2) Its your party DJ - very professional husband and wife team.  Lots of cute ideas.  This was out back up if we did not hire the DJ we did.  Lisa was who we met with and she was very organized.

3) Eric with Got you Covered Entertainment - met with Eric, but he was booked on our date.  It there is anything we found out with meeting 1 above... it is make sure you meet with the DJ that will be doing your wedding.  Eric is one of the owners and a DJ himself but they also have a team of DJs that they send out to cover more than one wedding a weekend.  So, that mad us a little weary.  Again, very professional and great ideas, but since we couldn't meet the DJ who would be covering our wedding ahead of time, we moved on.

4) Teffanie with Face the Music - This is the DJ we hired.  She has a very fun energy about her.  Before she became a DJ she was in a corporate training atmosphere so she had to be energetic and fun to get people excited about being somewhere they didnt want to be!  This shows.  She has been great so far.  Super nice, energetic and organized.  Within a few days of us signing the contract, she had out tenative schedule on line.  This was nice so then we could get the photographer and venue on the same wagon.  Of course, we can change it once all vendors are hired, but it has been helpful in the planning process. 

Sorry for the long response.  Hopefully this helps. You can also read many reviews of DJ's on wedding wire.
    11/6/2010
    Planning Bio
  • stahlopstahlop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went with Starz Entertainment.  So far they are really easy to work with, very accomodating and keep us updated with emails.  I'll let you know in a month how they were at the actual wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    For modern & hip I would definitely recommend our DJ, Desert House Productions. They are a husband & wife team (Dave & Drea Strickler) & are very passionate about their profession. They do a lot of clubs, bars, coffe houses, etc. but in the past few years have done many weddings. They are laid back & cool, definitely not cheesy like the 3 other DJs we interviewed before going with them. GL & HTH! :)
  • skispurskispur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have to meet with AZ Celebrity DJ - Juan and Stephanie are great and the reception is very interactive and they can keep the guests coordinated and involved!
  • sms274sms274 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would highly suggest meeting with Chris Birkett. He has been the DJ at a few of my friends weddings and that is who we hired as well. He has SO much energy and truly lives for entertaining. if you want a DJ to do more than just play music back and forth (which he will do if asked) then meet with him. I can't speak highly enough about him. http://www.birkettentertainment.com
  • beckylindgrenbeckylindgren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow,

Thank you all for the suggestions...now I am a little overwhelmed!  Jk.  I really appreciate the input.  I just finished meeting with MT Sounds today and my fiance and I felt really good about them.  The owner is really energetic, young, and cute (which my single brides maids will love)!  We didn't sign on yet but were impressed.  We have set up appointments with Ray the DJ and AZ Celebrity DJ.  I will keep you all posted. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards