Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Adding straps to a strapless dress?

I was wondering if anyone has added straps to their wedding dress that was meant to be strapless?  I've already got my dress-- http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Lace-Over-Charmeuse-Gown-with-Beaded-Floral-Detail-SWG400_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Designer-Galina-Signature

I never wanted a strapless dress.  But, I saw this one on the rack and just knew it was the one.  I tried it on 3 different times and didn't want to take it off.  As I was "Pinning" around today on Pinterest I came across this --
http://pinterest.com/pin/259066562/
and I fell in love with the criss-cross lace straps.  Does anyone know if it's possible to add straps like this to a strapless dress?  Any suggestions of people in York, Lancaster, or Harrisburg that could do it for me?  Thanks! Laughing
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Adding straps to a strapless dress?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Both the gown and strap idea is beautiful. My concern would be obtaining lace which will match your gown. IMO that will be a much more difficult task than adding the straps themselves. I'm not sure if you can purchase Galina's material at David's? Some salons can order gown material for you, if you are adding sleeves, straps ect. but I'm not sure of David's policy. You may want to call and find that out. 

Also, ask around at your local Jo Ann fabric to see if they can give you small samples of lace they have in stock free of charge. You could then take them home and try to match to your gown. Maybe there is a seamstress there who may be able to help you with this project? Never hurts to ask!

Best of luck!
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gown is beautiful!  And I love those straps as well!  I agree with pp- getting lace to match may be the most difficult part.  Whites can be different shades: some have a blue tint, others have a yellow tint.  And you wouldn't necessarily have to do lace- you could do satin or a material that is similar to the flared part of your dress skirt at the bottom.

A good seamstress should be able to do the straps for you with little problem.
  • Options
    slpankuchslpankuch member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

It is possible. Does the David's Bridal you got your dress have a seamstress?
    If you want someone else. Look up tailors in your area.
    There is one in Elizabethtown on 17 South Market Street called Elizabethtown Tailors. They are alittle strange but they do a fantastic job. I have not used them for a wedding gown but the tailor has done many of my ballet costumes and everyday attire. I am always happy with him and he knows what he is doing.
    If you want someone that only works with wedding dresses, try a local bridal store. I got my gown at In White in Lancaster. I am not sure if they would do dresses that are from an outside vendor but it's worth a try asking. They could give you information on where else you should go.

Good luck! The straps would look beautiful on the dress. The fabric might be the hardest part but if you go to a bridal store they might have something to match.
    If you can't find the right color consider get something that has beadwork on the straps.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Linda Poff is an excellent (and affordable) seamstress

http://lindapoffbridal.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SHALYNNMARIESHALYNNMARIE member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    go to Gails Country Threads in manheim- shes AWESOME ..even Makes gowns- straps would be a breeze and shes cheap compared to others! My whole party will be getting our alterations done there

blog post photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards