Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Fiance Doesn't Like Make-Up

I am personally not a fan of make-up, have only worn it a couple of times.  My fiancé is completely against me wearing make-up; should I still wear it for the wedding?  I have read comments that say having your make-up professionally done is good for the photos; is it still worth doing if neither one of us cares for this?

Re: Fiance Doesn't Like Make-Up

• I think that you should get a consult with a makeup artist. I think that a light foundation/ tinted moisturizer, sheer blush/bronzer, sheer taupe eyeshadow, light liner, light mascara and lip balm would be sufficient. It sounds like a lot but really isn't.

The foundation would even out your skin tone just a tad so don't have any blotchy-ness, and I suggest using a brush and sponge combo to blend it really well. Make sure to lightly do your neck and decollete too. The blush/bronzer will help bring the "life" back that the foundation can take away- a big fluffy brush will help blend it well. The eyeshadow (just 2-3 shades off from your skin tone with a light shimmer) will make your eyes pop, along with the light liner (a medium brown or soft black on the water lines) and 1-2 coats of traditional mascara, none of the *super duper* ones.

Do you have a good friend that you can ask to help do some trials on yourself? I think you can get away without using a MUA if you know how to apply makeup correctly.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Several photographers that I've spoken to said that makeup really does make photos come out better - specifically airbrush.  It evens your skin tone and, when applied correctly, makes your skin look beautiful and flawless.

My sister doesn't wear makeup, but she decided to try airbrush.  She had a trial and the MUA did a very neutral/natural look and my sister loved it.  She ended up deciding to wear makeup on her wedding day and it looked natural and came out great in photos.

I, on the other hand, do wear makeup regularly and I had every intention of wearing makeup on my wedding day.  My MUA advised to wear a bit more than normal so it would look natural in photos.  I was a bit leery about the idea, but I went with it.  I loved it and my photos also came out amazing.

21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_fiance-doesnt-like-make-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:39f6e4d0-ee4b-445b-a4b2-bb8c45cf9535Post:bc653ece-fef4-41b9-987c-10dbe45872ee">Re: Fiance Doesn't Like Make-Up</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister doesn't wear makeup, but she decided to try airbrush.  She had a trial and the MUA did a very neutral/natural look and my sister loved it.  She ended up deciding to wear makeup on her wedding day and it looked natural and came out great in photos. Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

ITA with this.  My 15 year old daughter was my BM and had never worn makeup until my wedding day.  My MUA did a very light airbrush application to even out her skin tone and she looked beautiful and just like herself.

My DH isn't a fan of it either (although I do wear it) and even though I had mine professionally done and somewhat dramatic, he thought I looked beautiful.  When you are standing in front of your FI in your wedding gown, he is just going to see you and how beautiful you are, he isn't going to care about the makeup.  This is the one day of our lives it's OK to be a little glamourous.
  • Hi there - the below link is to my engagement photos.  I was really happy with the make-up artist because I felt that it looked very natural which is what I was going for.  This was airbrushed/HD make-up with fake eyelashes (yes, they are fake and it doesn't look like I belong on Jersey shore!)  Best suggestion is to do a trial run & take photos with the make-up on in natural light.  This will give you the best idea of how it will look on the day of.

http://rawphotodesign.com/cove-beach-engagement-photos-nicole-roy/
  • Makeup will definitely add to your photos.  Ditto PP. Go for a trial with a MUA and then decide.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's your wedding day--you still want to feel like you of course, but a glam version of yourself.  Most people have some flaws they want to cover even if they are minor (ie dark circles).  I really don't have the option of not wearing make up personally b/c I have a hormonal issue and have issues with breakouts/scarring.  However, even if I had flawless skin, I'd want to highlight my best features.  Maybe you like your eyes and you can try some light natural colors to play them up!  Makeup can look "natural" if that's the look you are going for and still enhance.  I definitely wouldn't go totally bare on my wedding day, but JMO.  Not sure what kind of wedding you are having either.  Mine is goign to be formal and the reception is in the evening so I'm all for the makeup! lol
  • I definitely think you would regret it if you don't at least wear SOME makeup. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I am scheduled to take my engagement photos on 2/9/13.  I have booked a make-up artist and she will perform the trial that day; good way for me to see how the look I'm trying to achieve will turn out in photos.  I have expressed to her that I want a "natural" look; we will see how it goes.

Thanks again!
  • Good thinking!
  • Make sure she uses "matte" eyeshadows and stays away from glittery/shimmery ones.  They don't reflect well with flash photography.  I agree, a light application of either a tinted moisturizer or lightweight foundation to make your skin flawless, a light application of blush, a coat of mascara, light brown, plum or grey eyeliner applied prior to eyeshadow & a natural lipgloss that is not sticky would be perfect!
  • Boys are dumb.  I mean that in the kindest way.  They say they don't like make up when they mean they don't like faces full of fake-looking everything.  what you want is to complement your natural beauty by correctly color balances, and adding slight emphasis to your eyes with shadowing and a little liner and mascara.  Nothing crazy.  You want to look like a skin care ad model... none of whom are actually natural.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_fiance-doesnt-like-make-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:39f6e4d0-ee4b-445b-a4b2-bb8c45cf9535Post:7f259ea7-ae45-4e8c-9fbc-1d14fb862cf8">Fiance Doesn't Like Make-Up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am personally not a fan of makeup, have only worn it a couple of times.  My fiancé is completely against me wearing make-up; should I still wear it for the wedding?  I have read comments that say having your make-up professionally done is good for the photos; is it still worth doing if neither one of us cares for this?
    Posted by COUVSONPERRIN13[/QUOTE]

The problem with boys is that they don't know a thing about makeup, they THINK they don't like makeup, but every face looks good with a LITTLE bit! He thinks makeup, and probably thinks drag queen, seriously, there was an experiment in Cosmo years ago where they took three girls and took pictures with no, little, and full-face makeup, and the guys chose the "little bit" of makeup almost every time. Wear a bit of powder to even your skin tone, a light layer of mascara to emphasize your eyes, and a natural lip balm to keep your lips soft and moist, not dried and dull. You'll look perfect :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards