Washington-Seattle

Such thing as a cheap wedding cake?

Help! Any low cost cake recommendations are appreciated.

Re: Such thing as a cheap wedding cake?

• edited December 2011
    Sometimes you can get a good deal through renton technical college. It won't be the most ornate cake in the history of wedding cakes, but you can Make It Work. Kelli of kelli's cake creations us a favorite around here. She's very affordable as well.

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • edited December 2011
    Also, consider cupcakes as an alternative. Check out Grocery Stores, too. Or you could do a small cake, then a sheet cake to serve guests. That's always an option.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    donuts! that's what we're doing. allows more of a variety for everyone to choose from, and they are very affordable. of course, my mom HATES the idea, but oh well ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • koosh ballkoosh ball member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wedding cake is like teh cheapest part of the wedding. What price range are you looking at?
  • jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cupcakes are cheaper, but not cheap.  About $2.50 each.  Grocery stores have affordable wedding cakes also.  Safeway, Albertsons and QFC have gotten good reviews.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    corrina bakery in tacoma, they are yummy and we are getting a pretty good deal
  • edited December 2011
    Kinsley Dimmensional Deserts is pretty affordable, but knowing your price range will help us.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • edited December 2011
    South Seattle Community College's Pastry Arts program is ranked in the top 10 of pastry arts schools in the nation and their cakes are super yummy.  I'm not 100% sure on pricing, but I'm sure its cheaper than a traditional bakery as they are students.  Might be worth checking out.
    Amanda & Joel
    Planning bio: updated 05.11.10
    326 were asked to dance image
    120 will boogie the night away image 110 have two left feet image 96 are couch potatoes image
    RSVP Date: Sept 10, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    I know Mike's Amazing cakes out in Redmond does plain cakes (normal flavors, basic buttercream) for $1.95-$2.30 a slice, depending on how big your cake is.
  • edited December 2011
    I cannot say how much I DISLIKE Mike's (Not-So) Amazing Cakes after they screwed up a basic cake for my MOH's wedding. 

Another option is Renton Technical College's catering: http://www.rtc.edu/catering/WeddingCakes2010.pdf

Or, if you don't need stacked and want simple, go to any normal bakery (that also does wedding cakes) don't tell them it's for a wedding, just ask for 3 different sized round cakes and put them on tiers of varying heights yourself.  Just tell them it's for a party.  I think Dbraulik's DH did that, but on accident.  he went to a cake bakery and was asking about simple cakes of different sizes, they told him a price, continued conversation a bit longer and when they found out it was for a wedding tried to backpedal.  They ended up agreeing to do it for the price they said they would but wouldn't stack them.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards